Game/Story/Studio/Trend/Buzzword of the Generation Ideas

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By rachelepithet

Next year, it's more than likely we won't just be having a game of the year discussion, but a game of the era discussion. Surely, Giant Bomb won't just be reminiscing about the games themselves, but of the trials and tribulations of their developers, the controversies (Infinity Ward) to the feel good stories (Team Meat), and all the faceplates, frag dolls, vapor ware, and waggle controls that made headlines since May 2005.

I'll start with what hits the top of my head at the moment, and hope the rest of you will fill me in on the blatant ones I overlooked.

New franchises: Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Uncharted, Gears of War, Arkham, Saints Row, Portal, Borderlands.

New stories: Duke comes out after 14 long years, Deitrich's Ferrari, $599, Activision vs. IW, 3DS Ambassadors, Japanese games losing western sales, RROD, The Sonic The Hedgehog, the rise of indie games, return of Telltale, return of fighting games, DRM, 38 Studios, game stop absorbs EB Babbages et al.

Buzzwords: Fly that flag, generation remix, active reload, emergent gameplay, e sports, frag dolls, face plates, smiles, more safari-- less track, perks, new game plus, bows, helicopters, breast physics, rewind button, did you preorder, day one patch, day one dlc, game of the year edition, social media, second screen, waggle.

Biggest/Best games: Call of Duty 4, Metal Gear 4, GTA 4, LA Noire, Halo 3, Burnout Paradise, Little Big Planet, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess.