Gaming Culture

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Where do you guys stand on the current culture surrounding games? That’s a loaded question because I imagine the follow up question is ‘which aspect of gaming culture.’ Are we talking the fighting game community, fans interacting with voice actors, fans interacting with each other, online multiplayer for shooters, etc. I guess this is more open ended and you all can take it wherever you want.

For me, I feel like I’m an outsider looking in personally. In my own personal life, other than a few people I know, I’m not friends with folks that are as invested in video games as I am. So, I mostly experience video games solo and share other experiences communally. From a solo gaming perspective, the amount of choice and variety of games right now is staggering and it really does feel like one of the best times to be a player of games, some business models aside (which generally don’t impact me as a solo player).

But, it also seems like the good that can come from games when they are more communal in nature is being over-taken by systemic social issues that are bleeding into video games, like power dynamics, sexual harassment, wage inequality, poor worker protections, etc. It’s gotten to that point where it feels like the good things that come from gaming culture, like inclusivity, building relationships, a sense of belonging, are being overshadowed by the bad. Which it might just be that this is the time for that overshadowing to happen so the bad actors and the systemic problems can have a light shone on them. But it also means that I don’t really want to talk about video games with my non-enthusiast friends because it feels like all that surrounds it right now is negative.

Further, and this is a minor point but if I’m honest I may be more bothered by it (which might speak to my priorities and privilege but it’s the truth) but that things like social media, forums, streams and the like allow for just about anyone to have a platform to talk about video games it feels like there’s been a huge rise in ‘hot takes’ that tend to skew negative and snarky. I’ve been guilty of this, as I’m sure all of us have, but it’s a bit exhausting when it seems to be so consistent. I remember being quite surprised that the remake for FF7 didn’t have some dramatic backlash against it because it seems that most big games have some sort of negative ‘hot take’ attached to them. And maybe that game does, and I just missed it. Those negative takes are fine and I’m not saying they should stop. But it really does seem like every game is an opportunity for a flurry of negative ‘hot takes.’

So, I don’t know. I’m rambling. What are you guys’ thoughts?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

I've been playing games all my life, it's my main hobby and I've never lost interest in it, but I have never once identified with "gaming culture". I feel like the deeper a group of people ingrain themselves in a singular thing, the more they alienate the people on the outskirts.

It doesn't help that the terms "gaming" and "gamer" have been used as nothing but a way to market things to people. They aren't terms to be celebrated or proud of, just something to use if you want to sell something.

With gaming in particular the lines blur very easily between passion and unhealthy obsession. I love games and will probably play them my entire life, but the lengths "gamers" go to and the minute little things they obsess over baffle me to no end. I can't even imagine a scenario where I could get so angry about something in a video game that I have the urge (let alone act on it) to send death threats to the human beings involved in making it. It's like they live in some sad bizzaro world where shit like that actually matters.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mellotronrules

if you'd like to other me at warp speed, invoke any variation of the word 'gamer.' i hear 'gamer' and i think:

• neon green LEDs embedded into black plastic
  • branded-chair retail opportunities
  • these days probably coordinated shitty harassment campaigns by people who cannot cope

on the contrary- if you simply like games, and would like to talk about why you like them, the artistry involved, and why it remains an exciting medium- i'll talk to anyone in person or online until i'm blue in the face! but if individuals or corporate entities frame anything in the context of being a 'gamer' and 'gaming culture' i'm one foot out the door.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

To clarify, when I was referring to culture I was referencing the idea that most concepts or groups of people will develop a culture over time. Though it is interesting that you both see it more from a marketing perspective, if I understood you two correctly.

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f
deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For I've found myself completely alienated by not just gaming culture, but nerd culture in general. Far too many reactionaries spouting outright hate speech within these cultures has made me just wanna never interact with any of these fandoms. Simply enjoy the products and leave it at that.

TheBadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mkennedy: I do feel like people are using games as platforms for venting their prejudices. I've noticed this most recently with TLoU Part II and the strong reaction to not only female leads, but to gay and transsexual characters. I'm not one to judge people for not liking games based on actual merits, but I noticed these YouTube gamers who have thousands of followers commenting on the game and dumping on it while side stepping what they're uncomfortable with for long enough, then eventually saying it. I get the issues with pacing and how the ultra violence can turn people off, but this really was a rude awakening for me.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll put it out there, gamer culture is a myth created by brands. The sole trait of said culture is to identify with brands as a defining personal trait and then buy stuff. There are fandoms around specific games, but mostly its just people riding the sweet wave of the hype cycle.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Personally i tend to steer clear of anyone that is all about wearing game shirts and talking about the game industry in real life. it always feels like when i stumble on these kind of folk, it's very much rooted in tribalism and making a case that their allegiance is the one that matters.

This actually reminds me of this TV show where they show 2 people on their first date. This girl was all the way into gaming and that was pretty much her entire thing. So naturally the show matched her up with a guy that was a gamer too. She was all about Playstation, loved games like Bloodborne, Battlefield and Overwatch. He was more into Pubg and Apex Legends. Then she brought up that she was a huge rager online and would always shout at others, and he was like 'oh yeah ,i'm like that too.. i've broken quite a bit of Xbox controllers'. Immediatly she pounces on this mention of Xbox and launches into this entire tirade on how Xbox is worthless and bad quality anyways and deserves that he smashed that controller and man.. it was real dumb to witness. The guy at the table seemed quite taken aback by that outburst too.

I don't think they decided to go on a 2nd date afterwards. But yeah that kind of hostility and tribalism is just all too common when you encounter someone that's very deep into the gaming nerd culture i feel. And what for? You're not at a date to market this console to the other person!

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I don't think I've ever really proudly said I was a gamer, but I do know that I made a conscious choice to stop identifying as such, even in passing, back in late 2014.

I'd much rather say, "Gaming is one of my hobbies," than say, "I'm a gamer." Those two statements are functionally similar, but I feel like a lot of people are more likely to read the second, shorter statement in a more negative context. I can't say I'd blame them for that.

Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@bladeofcreation: I agree, I have largely separated myself from most "gamer culture" over the years. There are still some good pockets of community here and there like giantbomb, but so many communities bigger or similarly sized to GB is pretty cringe/ gross.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

To clarify, when I was referring to culture I was referencing the idea that most concepts or groups of people will develop a culture over time. Though it is interesting that you both see it more from a marketing perspective, if I understood you two correctly.

yeah that's a fair distinction to make. i guess for me it's becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate between the gaming cultures that are entirely homegrown (like the smash bros. fighting community) vs. communities that are injected with and shaped by corporate interlopers (like twitch).

i've never really participated in any gaming communities- let alone ones that were born naturally (unless you consider this very website part of that- which i suppose it is).

it might be a function of my own personal preconceptions and cynicism, but i simply cannot hear the phrase 'gamer culture' without seeing flashes of neon purple and green and branded headphones.

the intersection of commerce and art (and the surrounding culture born of this collision) is an old and tired conversation, so i apologize for invoking here- but i feel like with games more than any other artistic medium- there's a real tension between these forces that is being wrangled and wrestled with more than music, movies, books, comics or television.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Friends don't call friends Gamers.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also have criticisms of politics, people, tv shows, movies, Windows 10, my job, dentists and portable air conditioners, the only reason i spend more time writing and having discussions or arguments about games online is because it's my hobby, i've spent a lot of time with them and have a level of knowledge that gives me the confidence to have those discussions, and chatting about the thing i like is fun.
I don't begrudge people having negative opinions about certain things in games, i'm sure if i joined a movie forum there would be similar criticisms of movies, i guess the difference is scale, i don't think there's anywhere near as many people complaining about movies, probably because they're a passive medium.

As far as the topic goes... i'm not sure i belong to or believe in any particular gaming culture, groups of people sharing ideas scares me, i come from a time on the internet when it was best to stay anonymous and give nothing away, but with the advent of social media people are much more visible and targetable.
There are positives, there are negatives, but i think we were safer before.

Here's a fun FGC related example recently, with EVO no longer happening there were many messages from concerned members of the community asking "what's going to happen to the FGC?" and my favourite response i saw was "EVO wasn't the FGC, playing online with your friends is". I take that to mean stop flipping worrying about everything, larger scale conflicts don't need to affect everything we do.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's the worst it's ever been

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think every culture or community that is typically male-dominated, from synths to cars, tends to have some political/ethical baggage associated with it. Gaming has become such a wide-spread cultural thing which, along with its heavy ties in social media, multiply these problems that have been around forever. At least now people are talking about these issues.

Also, friends don't let friends call themselves "gamers."

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much like every internet culture, its wank. Gaming culture in real life? Perfectly fine.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anybody starts a gaming conversation at work, I switch off quick. I can't be having that.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By csl316

I've always played games for fun, and still do. My interaction with "gaming culture" is voyeuristic, almost. I follow game news, follow some Youtube channels and GB, and play a healthy amount of games nowadays. Sometimes I even post in forums! But it still remains a fun past time for me, and not a way of life that I need to change, defend, or complain about.

It was a more social hobby as a kid when we'd sit around on the couch trading controllers. Once things moved online, I kind of moved away the social part of games. And I suppose that's when I moved away from gaming culture as a whole.

Most of my hobbies are the same way. I spend a lot of time with the things I like (guitar, games, exercise) but I don't get too involved in communties. Which kind of lets me dip in and out whenever I want, and one of my hobbies doesn't really define me. Maybe it's my introverted nature, the fact that I'm in my mid-30's, or the fact that spending a bunch of time online can be bad for my mental health. But I don't feel like a direct participant in the culture, more of an observer.

And right now, it's kind of disappointing to see how negative it's gotten. From toxic fandoms to industry-side issues to how games are monetized, there's not much that appeals to me about gaming culture outside of the games.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By bybeach

I do not know if I react to gaming culture like you all do. I always accepted it as a sub interest of mine ever since I played my first shareware experience of it. I didn't grow up with games, I simply stumbled into them. I sort of figured I did belong to a culture of sorts, ever since I discovered Gamespot. I did visit other sites occasionally for opinion and review, but pretty much locked into G.S and then G.B. If anything, my particular view of culture was defined and enhanced with the advent of Gamergate. Nothing like a threat..

Since then, I have developed opinions both positive and negative of my view of the culture. Women would and should and need to be accepted in this culture, much more than they seem to be in reality. I'm not talking here about the need for political or social opinions per se, but inclusion and participation. Same for other social sexual groupings, acceptance rather than enumeration of differences.

There is one critique of gaming culture i do have, and that is in the blatant and blanket negativity I often see. And also the discussion of viewpoints that often seems the most intelligent splitting of hairs and debating methods that just as well be called rhetoric.

As for the materialist side of it, well, I have made investments into it, a built pc (with lit fans, winking lights) and nice keyboard and mouse, with also one console. But where I would hang my hat, is with music that joins up with my other interests, and perhaps fundamental views of life. Being a little isolated at this point, if there is anything (life-culture) I would like to experience, it would include music and the 'things' that music is folded into with.

Gaming as a life-culture would be simply too shallow, and that very well may be what many of you are saying.

Edit-If it was a job, it might have more importance.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#20 sweep  Moderator

if you'd like to other me at warp speed, invoke any variation of the word 'gamer.' i hear 'gamer' and i think:

• neon green LEDs embedded into black plastic
  • branded-chair retail opportunities
  • these days probably coordinated shitty harassment campaigns by people who cannot cope

on the contrary- if you simply like games, and would like to talk about why you like them, the artistry involved, and why it remains an exciting medium- i'll talk to anyone in person or online until i'm blue in the face! but if individuals or corporate entities frame anything in the context of being a 'gamer' and 'gaming culture' i'm one foot out the door.

You can add "men using their positions of authority to abuse and manipulate women" to the list.

I agree with the overall sentiment here; over the years I've been pidgeon-holed into a demographic which I for the most part utterly despise and do not want to be associated with at all. When I hear "gamers" I think tacky hardware and branding, insecure masculinity, and poor personal hygiene. I think it's been compounded by the spate of interchangeable midewestern white male streamers who confuse dying their hair with having a personality, all bringing the same extremely limited frat-boy life experience to the table.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By north6

I generally get embarrassed by work conversations about games and pretend I know less than I do, so I guess probably don't think highly of gamer culture, nor do I think others do. If people ask, I'll try to make recommendations to folks, and if they're already genuinely interested in a game, I'll chat with them about it. The few times gamer culture stuff comes up at work I generally cringe, but I shouldn't. People should be able to like what they like and not be judged.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: if you want to go to the darkest parts of gamer culture, you go to board game stores that have game tables set up. In my youth I, and a group of close friends, hung out in those stores and luckily turned out fine. But man, at least half of those stores were darkest parts of “gamer culture” distilled down to its toxic essence. In those places you find people who think the warhammer 40k lore is deadly serious and not at all satire. It is, in fact, the worst.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've been playing games all my life, it's my main hobby and I've never lost interest in it, but I have never once identified with "gaming culture". I feel like the deeper a group of people ingrain themselves in a singular thing, the more they alienate the people on the outskirts.

It doesn't help that the terms "gaming" and "gamer" have been used as nothing but a way to market things to people. They aren't terms to be celebrated or proud of, just something to use if you want to sell something.

With gaming in particular the lines blur very easily between passion and unhealthy obsession. I love games and will probably play them my entire life, but the lengths "gamers" go to and the minute little things they obsess over baffle me to no end. I can't even imagine a scenario where I could get so angry about something in a video game that I have the urge (let alone act on it) to send death threats to the human beings involved in making it. It's like they live in some sad bizzaro world where shit like that actually matters.

I just decided to quote this answer.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am among those who find it unjustifiable to call fandom "culture", and I certainly correct anyone in my peer group or family who refers to me as a "gamer" to know I just like video games.

It's hard to like games so much when the industry and the fandom is toxic to pretty much everyone in and around them, but here we are.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I think the best way to approach gaming culture, or any fandom really, is the same way that we should approach uncontacted tribes in the deep Amazon or Borneo; with a healthy, detached, anthropologic curiosity.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And a means of escape.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy the games as a hobby and stay the hell away from the people playing them. I do this with everything I enjoy as a hobby, be it movies, books, whatever. Fandom is poison, especially when people are extremely online and base their entire identity/personality off of fictional characters and concepts.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminds me of how I feel about sports. In the narrowest terms with me being completely unwilling to be more specific - I have a fondness for a sport and the fundamental nature of tactical problem-solving that it sometimes allows for me. I even have a team that I like a bit. But I will not talk about it with most people because I find most people don't look at it the way that I do, even if I know that we share an affection for the sport or team. Hubris and enabling that come with the Masked Ball of people acting out their frustrations is something I shun. Not saying all gamers.

Suppose main thought now is how ill-fitting I find the word "fan" for anything I like or support. Not a fanatic. Just like some things.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@permanentsigh: I think someone being “extremely online” is an incredibly apt way of describing some of the individuals you find in modern fandoms today. Although I will say that it’s the same as it ever was - the internet has just enabled more people to vocalize their inane thoughts that used to be restricted to your local comic book shop or the GameStop lounge lizards.

mackdack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stay in my Giant Bomb bubble.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fandom is poison, especially when people are extremely online and base their entire identity/personality off of fictional characters and concepts.

I did dabble in some fandom now and there but never with fanaticism. There are games, settings and books I LOVE playing/talking about and finding a like minded individual with whom I can share my thoughts is always fun.

There's nothing better than exchange of opinions.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I avoid the culture, i would also never call my self a "gamer" because everything that word seems to encompass are things i can't get behind.

Video games are pretty good, but they are sadly wrapped in a blanket some hobo wiped his bum in.

DaviKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: As someone who has been playing fighting games online with his friends since covid hit:

1. Not a ton of games on the market with reasonable netcode.

2. It sure is fun to level up against other playstyles and characters than those represented by your tight-knit crew.

It's real upsetting to me how much I love fighting games and how much I sure don't like most of the fgc I've interacted with. I've always gotten by playing friends and chatless matches, but the latter is waning with the advents of graphical lobbies and discord.

Sulcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get off social media, it's bad for you. Ignore sensationalist headlines.

*BAM*

Now gaming culture is ,"Fuck yeah, new consoles." And the generally positive interactions you have with people that share common interests.

Block crazies.

I like Giant Bomb, this community, but it seems I am always seeing this discussion about how bad everything is in areas surrounding games media... While everyone is generally kind, sincere, and respectful. It's easy to shine a spotlight on the negative. It's even good to focus on so we may enact change rather than ignoring problems, but the people competing for the ad revenue we generate feed on anger and fear like fucking Sith vampires. They will do all in their power to make everyone feel like the world is falling apart... So stay tuned!

It's gonna be alright. Or you'll die, but that happens to everyone.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sulcath: Except the idea that "if you ignore it it will somehow go away" has always been a lie.

1. It's a form of victim blaming that places abuse entirely on the shoulders of the victims.

2. It creates an atmosphere of apathy towards these problems and to those who suffer

3. it creates this fictional idea that toxicity is this singular thing or only done by a few actors and not indicative of a larger issue within the community.

Like, sure self help is the best help, so you shouldn't be doomscrolling. But staying aware is good way to not only reflect on your own behavior, but also do your part to make things better. Ignoring the problem only normalizes it.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MezZa

Personally believe that its good to be aware of the worst parts of a fandom and not let that settle in a way that gets normalized because it is truly horrible, but a couple of the posts here border on just being another form of toxicity. If this were a break room at work I'd much rather sit and listen to the guy talking about whatever silly LED setup he has and how he started streaming his favorite games than sit at the table where some of this thread's conversation has gone.

There is an incredibly shitty part of the "gaming" fandom (and a lot of fandoms in general) that need to be rooted out, but its important to take a step back and remind ourselves not to be shitty to other people for something as simple as some LEDs on their keyboard or the use of a word that gets overused as a marketing buzzword to describe their hobby.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By petesix0
@mezza said:

If this were a break room

I'll see you and raise you with "Hardware Store". Not a pun based on gaming gear, just in terms of how I see this place - with a little of the Janitorial Closet I guess. I know those things might not be glossy but I mean it in terms of places to go soak stuff up, hear from professionals, maybe ask someone for advice or something else, just vibe with people maybe. Hardware Store is how it feels to me but others may have words for "where" it feels to them.

Way I see it, people try to stay close to the fires they like, then try to keep it. Positive engagement, estrangement, they function as people trying to maintain.

(LEDs in PCs are fine, but I hope we can all agree that sometimes positive indicators for people you intend to steer clear of can just as easily be a false-positive result*. Especially as people seem to need them now that Rep. Omar made them famous last night)

* - Tralse in these parts, mind