Gaming with a disability.

MixMasterShake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MixMasterShake

After a recent brain injury I have found myself at a disadvantage when playing games. I can no longer feel most of my left hand and the range of motion is slightly limited. I was wondering if anyone in the community had any suggestions of wished to share similar stories. I found that placing double-sided tape on the analog stick kept my thumb from wandering, but the triggers and d-pad a much more of a problem.

PC gaming is the biggest problem, since there are many more keys to be concerned with. The other night while playing TF2, I found myself repeatedly calling for the medic because my finger had moved from W to E. Thankfully, I am a fan of RPGs, so twitch based skills are not always an issue.

Thanks.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By emergency

Hmmm, i presume that since it is quite a recent injury for the start it will foreign to you and you'll let your hand wander. I think that you'll probably get used to it, and have a stricter control over it. Perhaps there are some sorts of raised keys for WASD that you could replace your current ones to increase the difference between them and other keys.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Brain injuries heal, especially if you're still blessed with youth. Your brain will adapt, and it will become easier with time.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

That's unfortunate. At least you'll probably heal.

Unless I'm very lucky and all this monkey research pans out, I'm never going to be able to actually play a popcap game because I'm hella colourblind.

That might be a good thing though.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

@nintendoeats said:

Unless I'm very lucky and all this monkey research pans out, I'm never going to be able to actually play a popcap game because I'm hella colourblind.

I thought colourblindness was a choice? ; )

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

@Cloudenvy said:

@nintendoeats said:

I continue to fucking hate that guy. He didn't sound like he was joking. Moron.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

@nintendoeats said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@nintendoeats said:

Jeebus.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

I don't remember the name of the company or if they're still around but for a while there was a company that made custom controllers for people with disabilities. If you want I can try to see if they're still around and link you to some products if they are.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By myke_tuna

@nintendoeats said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@nintendoeats said:

Which guy is this? And no, it's not a good thing. Popcap games are pretty awesome. And I don't know how colorblind you are, but most Popcap games now have a colorblind toggle.

Anyway, for the OP, I'm hoping you heal. I'm not sure how else you could combat this. Other than getting different keys for WASD and such to at least let you feel a height/texture difference. As far as console gaming goes though, I don't think there are any major departures from the standard versions of controllers.

MixMasterShake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MixMasterShake

Thanks guys. The raised keys don't really work for me, since I can't actually feel if my fingers are on there to begin with. However, I am going to try to map the E and F keys one key to the right to keep my from spamming the wrong things when I do get off center.

The neurologist have given me a 50/50 shot at gaining any sensation, but there is pretty much no chance it were ever be back to normal for my hand or face.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nintendoeats

@myketuna:

I think its about 10 minutes in, they start talking about colourbindness. The guy showing the game says that he isn't convinced that people are actually colourblind. I mean, I would appreciate that as a joke. It's just not entirely clear that he is kidding.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By laserbolts
@nintendoeats So what's up with people being colorblind. Can you just not tell the difference between colors or something?
Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Alex_Murphy

If you have a console one of these might help.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scarace360
@Cloudenvy said:

@nintendoeats said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@nintendoeats said:

Jeebus.

Stop being color blind god >_>
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By crusader8463

Only thing I can suggest is to start playing games that don't require twitch skills. Best of luck to ya, and I hope it's something that you can one day get fixed.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nintendoeats

@laserbolts: These images are what I usually refer people to. They aren't 100% accurate to my experience (in theory I shouldn't be able to tell the Anomalous Trichromatic images from the normal one), but They seem to be a good approximation. To my knowledge me and most of the GB staff all suffer from Dichromacy, but I obviously can't say for sure.

@Alex_Murphy: Those seem awfully expensive. I know its a specialized industry, but its odd that the base price (for an unaltered controller) is so high.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By halberdierv2

sorry about your condition. I suppose you could attach some sort of raised something to attach to the WASD keys for a guide for your fingers, and maybe so fir any buttons on a controller. here's hoping that the nature of your brain injury is heal-able, and you could hopefully regain some feeling in your hand.

Scarz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Scarz09

I have had cerebral palsy all my life, but luckily it only effects me physicaly not mentaly, so I do't have any trouble gaming. It has actually helped me alot, when I was younger whenever I would feel down, I would play games to take my mind off it.
John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By John1912
@MixMasterShake: Yea, only thing I can think of is to put a box around the WASD keys by wedgeing something in between that wont interfere.  Otherwise spacing the keys out so you do not bump others, and get used to quick glancing down,  Otherwise maybe swap hands?  Mouse might be easier as you have visual information to correct your movements.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Scooper

You'll figure something out, man. Check out this dude. He has to play with his face and guess what, he's whooped my ass a couple times. No joke. 

MixMasterShake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MixMasterShake

Thanks to all the suggestions. I think the main problem is me getting frustrated at not being able to do what I am used to. Patience is not my strength.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By myke_tuna

@nintendoeats: I can tell he's joking. I thought it was funny. He just says it real matter-of-factly.

Tonyyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tonyyj
@myketuna: I agree, it came off very clearly to me that he was joking.
jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By jay_ray

I am a C6 quad with no finger movement and I can play any game. At first learning and adapting is always difficult and can be frustrating but if you are persistent you will find ways to adapt and will be able to play as well if not better then before.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yorick
@nintendoeats said:

I think its about 10 minutes in, they start talking about colourbindness. The guy showing the game says that he isn't convinced that people are actually colourblind. I mean, I would appreciate that as a joke. It's just not entirely clear that he is kidding.

He is obviously joking.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

sorry to hear/ read that. look into getting new controller for a better controller.

MixMasterShake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MixMasterShake

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and support. I honestly didn't expect this many replies. I'm going to remain optimistic and be grateful that I can play games in any capacity. Especially since I shouldn't have survived in the first place.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By toowalrus

I had some jaw surgury and the anesthesia fucked me up for like a week- just... wait it out. Unless, of course, you can't. In that case, you may want to pick up more turn based games or something.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SomeJerk

I have three foot pedals to help my muscle+nerve disease out, some days depending on the weather even clicking a mouse button is too much and I make my 70 year old father look spry. I'd build and donate one if I had the resources, it helps immensely.

One is simply a USB mouse circuit board inside of a cheap junky sustain pedal (or keyboard pedal, whatever they may call it) soldered so it triggers middle mouse down, which nobody ever uses since it's tied to the scroll wheel. The other two go to a box where I have the circuit board of a PS/2 keyboard in it, I just plug my pedals in there. I figure I'll be using one for voice comms, one for walking forwards, the third for some commonly use function like jump in an MMO.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By lockwoodx

This is a great controller grip for the disabled as it allows you to set up the button depression to "hair trigger" like states which is a blessing for people who have limited movement.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By myke_tuna

@MixMasterShake: You should also look into getting into Civilization V. Turn-based and it will suck your life away if you dig in. Trust me. Also, that controller @Buzzkill posted looks cool. I don't know if would help, but this means there are devices out there if you ever want to try them.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ChickenPants

Don't have any suggestions that haven't already been made but just want to say that I hope you figure something out that works for you.

MixMasterShake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MixMasterShake

Thankfully I have an eclectic taste in games, so switching to something new isn't a big deal. I feel like kind of an ass for whining about it now, especially since there are those who have it worse than me. I feel doubly worse since it is my fault for ending up this way.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lockwoodx

Planking?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Try to see if you can change the key bindings to something more comfortable.