IliyaMoroumetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IliyaMoroumetz

Hello folks;

Just a question here, but let me explain my situation.  I live on the second floor of my apartment house.  The modem and router is on the first floor, and since the wireless aspect has shown to be less than reliable, I've gone and bought a long ethernet cable and connected it directly to the router downstairs.  However, I also want to connect my PS3 to the net so I can start playing against people on SSFIV, however, I'm at a loss as to what would be the most practical or efficient or cost effective method of doing this.    

I have discovered a guide that would allow me, via ethernet splitter, to connect my ps3 and the router cable directly to my computer.

I could also simply detach the ethernet cable from my computer and hook it up to the ps3, but that would get rather obnoxious when I would want to go back online on my computer.

Or should I just bite the bullet and get another super long ethernet cable and connect it to the router?

Just looking for some input or opinions on the matter.  Thank you for your time. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Super long ethernet cable For Every Win.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Ummm. I'm not 100% sure I know how your stuff is setup, but I'd just run an ethernet from your modem to your router. Then run two more ethernets from the router to the computer and from the router the the PS3. 

Or maybe just buy a wireless N router which has a much stronger signal. Of course in that case though you'd have to buy some kind of wireless N receiver to pair with the PS3 since it only supports G with the built-in adapter. That may be too much money, but it's an option.' 

I highly recommend you at least check out this Tested video too. It has a few good tips to improve any wi-fi connection. (if you decide to go that route)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By danhimself

I would just go with the ethernet cord...your connection will be much faster than any wireless connection that you could use

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By agentboolen

I'm not sure how well a ethernet splitter works, but if its really cheap it might be worth a try...  But if its not that cheap I would just bite the bullet and do it the common way and just get another ethernet wire for the PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-653d2db498d3a
deactivated-653d2db498d3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If all else fails (and I mean ALL ELSE. There are a lot of things you could do, I would continue to google it) I would go with the crazy long ethernet cable. That's what I've always done, and nobody really minds or notices a cable taped along the side of the floor or ceiling.

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By BackpackKat

Just get an extra long ethernet cable. Might want to try Tested those duders are good with tech

UltramanJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By UltramanJ
@Abyssfull said:
"Super long ethernet cable For Every Win. "

Yeah, I couldn't get the Wi-Fi wrking with my PS3, despite every other gizmo in my home having no trouble. I had to buy a 50ft Ethernet cable and run it from my ruter to my PS3.
IliyaMoroumetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By IliyaMoroumetz

Thank you for your responses, everyone. 

I'll just get another ethernet cable and save myself the headache. 

paudle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By paudle

I believe  you could buy a switch or router and plug your long cable into it and then plug in whatever devices you want into the switch. This would be helpful if you wanted more devices.