Giant Bomb/internet nostalgia is a strange new form of feeling

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Howardian

Over the years I've occasionally visited this website, and I find myself sometimes remembering some of the cool moments and quotes that stuck with me.

The internet has become a new form of memory lane where you find yourself reminiscing about people you don't know! (internet personalities & fellow users). Now thankfully I do "have a life," on a small scale nothing grandiose, so I'm not the kinda guy who lives solely on the internet, but it still is a big part of my consciousness.

I wonder what it will be like for us in the future.We are the first generation to "live" in this virtual world, at least partially, and create collective, anonymous memories in it!

Especially those small memories that cannot be referenced or joked about with other users.

No Caption Provided

For example, today I remembered the GB guys saying "stay frosty" and "oscar mike" during the MW2 craze and I began to have the warm, bittersweet feeling, where you enjoy remembering a thing that happened, but know that it's a long gone thing that will never happen again.

It's easy to celebrate the memories of my family or neighborhood with people around me. It's very hard to celebrate 'stay frosty' and 'oscar mike' (as an example) with anonymous users who have moved on. Which makes my internet memories rather melancholic, as opposed to enjoyable, because they feel isolated and outdated, as opposed to familial memories that can always be revived.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Duder, it's over. Yukiko's Castle was a really cool zeitgeist thing to have experienced on this site. So yeah, definitely, you can have nostalgia for anything, really.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Hey, you're sharing it now, isn't that enough?

I think everyone remembers "stay frosty" and "oscar Mike" but to my recollection, that wasn't exclusively a GB thing. COD had such an impact on the games that came out last gen, I don't necessarily think ppl see those days in a warm fuzzy light. Give it sometime, maybe we'll be nostalgic about it down the line.

LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Gary Whitta telling Will Jeff or Ryan to "Use More Skill" during a TNT i think back in the Whiskey Day