GOTY 2014 Skits

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Figured I'd for once make a thread that's not solely related to a specific video game!

So, do you folks have any expectations/hopes/dreams for what the crew will produce for this year's GOTY videos? I just rewatched the ones from last year and they still felt quite pale in comparison to 2012. Of course, a whole lot of shitty things happened during last year, so I should really tip my hat to them for still managing to create something more than just plain lists of their favourite games. Still though, those previous skits...

With Dan's introduction to the site, I'm personally expecting something wrestling related making an appearance. I guess you could even have one day's recap fully wrestling themed, if something. Also with Drew having become way more prominent in videos/bombcasts, I could see him having a bigger role as well.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't think anything is going to top the 2012 one. Like, holy shit, the CBS Network parodies were on point and hilarious. Last year wasn't bad, though. I think if the "decades" theme didn't have to follow up the genius of 60 Minutes Brad Shoemaker and Jeff Gerstmann: Hoarder, we'd all think more highly of them.

Still, I laughed pretty hard at Matt Rorie's post-apocalyptic "you're a __" comment.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'm hoping this year is going to GB East vs GB West Rap battle.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way Drew and Vinny talk about those it seems like they were way too much work to ever try again

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Some sort of crazy cross-country war thing. A Giant Bomb civil war, if you will.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The way Drew and Vinny talk about those it seems like they were way too much work to ever try again

Well obviously, it's basically a mini episode of a professional TV show.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By pyromagnestir

It should just be Dan trying all the stuff that we have discovered over the course of the year he's never tried before.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By flasaltine

It should be Wrestling. They even have Luchadeer.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9 fisk0  Moderator
@slag said:

I was just about to type this exact thing.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

With the team so spread out I'm not sure that this is even possible.

Also nobody knows how talented Jason is.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Mezmero

The safe choice is a wrestling themed invasion story. I could also see them doing a gimmick where they're just producing various cartoon parodies. My dream is them doing an all-story about an unlikely hero rising to save us all from boredom.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero said:

I could also see them doing a gimmick where they're just producing various cartoon parodies.

Combined with animation that's even more crummy than Hanna Barbera level of "quality", that could be something magnificent.

@poser That did cross my mind, but I'd imagine that they could at least get Vinny over for a long enough time to film all the stuff.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By glots

So, MGS happened after I made this thread. I'd imagine there has to be at least one codec style discussion happening at some point. Still expecting wrestling to make an appearance in one form or another as well.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I could go for an Invasion angle on at least one of the days. "What's SHANE McMAHON doing on Giant Bomb East?"

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By PoorTommy

After 2012, I think they earned to tone things down and play it more straight. I would enjoy if they were able to produce videos for the staff's top ten like they were able to do in the years before. It's incredible that they are able to produce as much content as they do during that week. I don't want them to grind themselves just for the sake of GOTY videos.

But boy, I am still reeling from all that Rap Man Hunk.

EDIT: If we're talking about cheaply produced cartoons, we may as well Syncro-Vox this thing up.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@slag said:

I was thinking GB East vs GB West wrestling feud.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first thing that springs to mind is definitely the fact that there are now effectively 3 locations for GB. It would seem pretty obvious to do something related to that.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 2012 skits will tide me over for another 20 years.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I hope they get their fire back for doing these. Last year I could tell they had no steam for it (since Ryan passed away I'd guess), so the videos they did didn't seem as inspired.

Hopefully now that they have Dan he adds to it or something, I don't know, but the previous 2 years, or whatever it was, GOTY skits between the categories were incredible and I don't want them to stop doing them or lose interest in the concept. They're the only website that does it and it's usually amazing when they do.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope all of 'em having a beard has something to do with a bit where they'll start playing Mario Party, get more ragged as the time goes on and eventually end up as skeletons, while unaffected Dan keeps playing and announces all the categories.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoping it's just the guys hunkered down in their office whilst a handful of people bang on the windows DEMANDING A RESPONSE TO GAMERGATE!

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with everyone saying that last year was a bit of a disappointment. That's probably because the year of FMV games and the CBS parodies were a VERY tough act to follow.

Has long as I get some game of the year deliberation podcasts, I'll be happy.

@shindig: Please, for the love god, no. None of that. We don't need anymore of that.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hey, my guess about Mario Party was partially right at least!

While I hoped for invidual sketches like back in 2012, these have been really enjoyable as well. Nice to see Drew getting another role besides a murder victim!

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

The 2012 stuff will never be topped or even matched. That was lightning in a bottle.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

These are OK, i like the idea i just think they went too over the top with the scenarios. I think they would have been a lot funnier if they were a little more realistic with what they would do if games disappeared. Dans has been the best so far because that seems like something he might actually do. Doesn't Vinny like woodworking or something? Would have been novel to see these guys doing something they enjoy besides games.

They are still good, and more importantly the categories are a lot more positive this year then they were last year which makes the whole thing more enjoyable.