Grip - From the developers of Rollcage - Kickstarter soon

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

The thought of playing a new Rollcage is an exciting one. Here's hoping that the final version has a bit more color to it, though.

For added nostalgia, watch the above trailer with this in the background.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By 71Ranchero

I had no idea that Rollcage had any kind of following. I liked it but I didnt think it was much better then any of the other extreme racing games that were coming out at the time. Still very excited by this and I hope it turns out great. We need more of these kinds of games. How crazy would it be for someone to come out with a new XGRA or Scorcher?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Holy shit, it's a video game about that flipping RC car I always wanted as a kid, also with guns.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By hassun

I love Rollcage a whole lot and I really hope this project will end well. I'll have to do more research on the developers and the feasibility of the project before I donate to it though.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I signed up to Kickstarter to back this. Rollcage was probably my finest PS1 split screen memory as a kid, and these guys look like they are for real. I really don't know if the kickstarter will make it or not but I really hope it does.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hassun

@humanity: I'm not a racing game person at all but I did like Rollcage a lot. Probably just because of the upside down racing stuff. I hope they can come up with some really insane Trackmania-esque course designs that take full advantage of that. You can do a lot more than just a few tunnels here and there.

One aspect of this Kickstarter we should all be wary of is that it is another one of those extremely low funding goals, leading to the question "Where is the rest of the money coming from?". If the "Why Kickstarter" section is to be believed, it might be a case of a project that is already well into development and looking for an extra little push towards the end.

They seem to be really gunning for the 840K CAD$ as well.

EDIT:

I sent the team the following question:

The funding goals for this Kickstarter seem very low.

This leads to the following questions:
- Are there plans to use this (successful) Kickstarter to attract extra investment from other sources?
- Is this project already well into development and is this Kickstarter more a way to get an extra financial push towards the finish line?

These are their replies (possibly from different people?):

Hey Hassun

We're an indie team, therefore we don't need a massive budget. That said, we have very, very carefully gone over the numbers countless times to see what the bare minimum is to create this game. The funding goal is that bare minimum.

Also, myself (Chris), Robert and David are all taking massive pay cuts just to see this thing get made.

So yes, that funding goal is enough to develop this game

--

Hi Hassun,

The prototype has proven the concept: that Unreal Engine can cope with a next gen spiritual successor to Rollcage. From that experience and our experience in making the original Rollcage games we have costed a comprehensive schedule, taking minimum wages for ourselves.

The goal is an accurate amount calculated to bring the game to market and get it back in the hands of our fans.

We have no plans or need to raise extra investment beyond Kickstarter at the present time.

Hope that answers you questions?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hassun

I'm kind of surprised the Kickstarter is not doing that well. Maybe there is just not a lot of interest in this type of game?
The Kickstarter itself seems very well put together (unlike the Shenmue one for example).

I really hope it'll make it though. I'd love a new Rollcage.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I backed it, it looks like it will fail, but i really hope they find a way to make this game because it's tailored for me.

ames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya, but will it have VR support?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brandondryrock

It has been cancelled, but it is coming to Early Access in the next few months. So that's good news.