NotBrunoAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NotBrunoAgain
No Caption Provided

How much time, would you say, is too much time trying to perfectly place a fence in Fallout 4? A minute? Maybe five minutes? Maybe 10? I think I’ve spent at least an hour just trying to place fences in Fallout 4.

This is, admittedly, not a problem most people will have. I’m a bit of a perfectionist, and in Fallout 4, I found myself getting strangely invested in the state of the settlements. This meant that whenever the game asked me to engage in its base-building subgame to progress some quest, I felt compelled to stop what I was doing and make sure the settlement was functional and attractive.

For instance, I spent a whole 30 minutes of my life making sure the radioactive pit in the middle of a parking lot was properly fenced out. Granted, being this invested in it was my fault. But, if we’re being honest, it was also the game’s fault that it took me this long.

The only tall fence available in Fallout 4, the “junk fence,” doesn’t snap-fit together like some of the game’s other base-building objects. Rather, you place it freely in space by pointing somewhere. Free object placement doesn’t really work as a mechanic; it’s almost a user interface cop-out. Between Fallout 4 and Planet Coaster, I’ve seen pretty clearly that it’s the wrong way to implement building mechanics in a game. Planet Coaster goes even further and gives you tools to place props in 3D space that are really more like level design tools than like a game mechanic, down to handles for translation and rotation in space.

Building stuff is inherently playful, and it has been explored mechanically in countless games. Yet it’s so easy to get wrong, and it illustrates very well how adding complexity is usually not the solution.

Before 3D engines were commonplace and flexible enough to allow this sort of thing, most games that let you build things (usually games entirely about building--tycoon games, sims) used a tiled map where you would place down objects like blocks. This is the most noticeable change from Rollercoaster Tycoon to Planet Coaster: You are no longer constrained by the square grid of the older games. Removing this restriction turns out to make the game worse.

In the shift from the discrete world of tiles and blocks, to the analog world of points in space, possibilities multiply and the ability to judge correctness dwindles. Planet Coaster does include some amount of grid-based handholding, but it’s clear (from the pre-made buildings included with the game if nothing else) that you’re not really supposed to rely entirely on it. Besides, Planet Coaster’s grids are all relative, individual to each particular building. This makes it painful to integrate one building with another, say if you want them to be connected by paths or ride tracks. Without the global tile grid that Rollercoaster Tycoon was built on, fitting things together often fails.

Please stay away from the deadly radioactive hole you decided to have a village around for some reason.
Please stay away from the deadly radioactive hole you decided to have a village around for some reason.

In Fallout 4, the fact that you’re building using jagged objects made of cobbled-together junk really highlights this; as a rule, the colliders are somewhat oversized, meaning that things don’t fit together neatly unless they snap together; they always leave a gap. And while the structural parts of the building set do snap together like legos, they don’t do so predictably or reliably; you can’t tell from looking at two pieces whether they’ll connect, and when they do connect, whether the connection will make sense visually as well. Things often fail to connect because of unseen object collisions; in one case, I found that the game would let me do something that clearly should have been possible, but only if I placed the pieces in a specific order. Go into Fallout 4, and pick up the set of wire fences that the game provides. They snap together, but I dare you to fence off a square area with them without leaving gaps. Surprise: They don’t actually all fit in the same grid, and there’s no interface indication of this when you’re placing them.

If these seem like nitpicks, they are. The whole endeavor is nitpicky. Planet Coaster expects you to build a custom building around ride tracks to serve as the ride station, for example, but there are no affordances to make sure the height of the tracks conforms to the height of the standard building blocks. The footpaths that guests use to get around in the park can’t be saved along with building blueprints, meaning that buildings that integrate with paths (say, a castle that guests can walk up on the parapets of) is dicey. I find that Planet Coaster is really good at breaking up the creative flow of building something--something doesn’t fit together, something doesn’t work, and suddenly the magic is gone and I feel silly for spending my time this way.

Compare that to how The Sims does it: Newer iterations of the franchise have never gotten away from its tile-based system for building houses. A Sims home is inevitably built on a grid. This means that there are some architectural features that can’t be achieved at all--you can never have a round room like a McMansion turret, for instance. But what you lose there isn’t much compared to what you gain: Building houses in The Sims is a joy, and for many players it’s the best part of the game. You can’t make a hallway that is three and a half tiles wide or build on multiple split levels, but there is just enough there to make it satisfying. It’s still possible to build architectural trainwrecks, but it doesn’t take hours of fiddling to get something that looks good.

Granted, Planet Coaster’s problem isn’t really a problem at all for the people who enjoy the niche activity of designing content for that game. It curtails the game’s audience in some ways, but there is no sin in being niche. Players have definitely built very impressive creations using the in-game tools; but while they don’t lack power, they’re a missed opportunity because they don’t scale. Well-designed building games, like The Sims and Minecraft, have a scaling quality to them; there’s not much of a barrier to creating something satisfying. Minecraft achieves this smartly by using the limited resolution of its blocks. To make something detailed and complex, you have to make it huge. Small creations are inherently going to be simpler and easier to put together. Like on The Sims, the buildings that come with the game are created using the same tools that players use, they’re achievable.

In Planet Coaster, the example content is seemingly the product of hours of mystifying tinkering. It’s an all-or-nothing proposition; the interface, the tools, and the preexisting content seem to suggest: do it right, or not at all. It’s like a model kit, in contrast to the Lego ethos of there is no wrong way to do it. And many people have built impressive things with Planet Coaster, perhaps more impressive than what you can build with tools geared less towards such invested players. But model kits are a niche hobby, while Legos are the best-selling toy line of all time. It feels like a missed opportunity when Planet Coaster’s predecessor, Rollercoaster Tycoon, was so much more accessible without sacrificing the complexity that made that series special.

No Caption Provided

Fallout 4, however, definitely has problems: the tools are nowhere refined or powerful enough to be like level editing tools, but they still suffer from fiddliness. If Planet Coaster saddens me even though I know it makes a lot of players very happy, I can’t imagine anyone really loves the base-building subgame in Fallout 4. Even using the snap-fit objects is an unpleasant experience: In a miserable design decision, you are expected to choose which specific variation of a garbage shack wall you’re going to use in each place, instead of simply putting down interchangeable pieces that look different each time. This makes the building menus about as lengthy and time-consuming to navigate as the actual mesh catalog in a level editor, except that to actually place them, you roughly look in some direction and the game tries to guess where you mean to place them. Usually, it guesses wrong, forcing the player to reposition things until they snap into place.

The broader problem is losing sight of why a given game’s built environment fascinates in the first place. Rollercoaster Tycoon was built around the premise that your park guests are an active and opinionated audience, and you are building rides to please their tastes. In Planet Coaster, a lot of attention is given to building tools that don’t really matter; the quality of the buildings you’re making is in no way judged. Guests, at most, react only to the sheer volume of scenery around them. This isn’t to say simulating some kind of aesthetic AI that would judge how good buildings are would be easy; it would be nigh impossible. That’s a reason not to make the building features too detailed, right there. My Planet Coaster creations will never really be appreciated by anyone unless I make them good enough (and thus, time-consuming enough) to be interesting to other human players. At the same time, the process of building them is lengthy and unpleasant enough that I don’t even get individual satisfaction out of it.

In Fallout 4, the idea of cobbling things together from available materials and building on top of the ruins of the pre-war past is right there for the taking, but the actual mechanics totally bypass it. Early in the game, you might encounter a farmhouse built around the structure of an old transmission tower. You can never do anything like that yourself. I spent several minutes trying to place blocks so it would look like I had added a wooden lean-to onto the steel skeleton of a pre-war suburban home, and failed.

Compare this to a game that has a similar 3D environment but does base-building better: Subnautica. In that game, all structural base parts connect together smoothly like legos, with results that are both visually and mechanically appealing. When you place them, the game generates struts to connect the building to the terrain in ways that make sense, helping integrate your base to the surrounding ground. It’s hard to overstate how important that small visual detail is: your bases look like they belong where they are. Because bases are always lifted on stilts, they don’t have to deal with the uneven terrain. You never get a weirdly floating, seemingly unsupported chunk of building that spoils the illusion.

You versus the chicken shack she told you not to worry about.
You versus the chicken shack she told you not to worry about.

And tinkering is its own form of fun, but it requires malleability. What really breaks flow in any building game is having to backtrack something I did previously to support something I’m doing next. In Sims games, every step of construction is discrete, and minimal planning is necessary. You don’t have to think about where the windows will go when you’re placing walls. So an easy workflow emerges where you place each thing one at a time, with little backtracking or revision of previous steps. This isn’t very representative of what an actual design process is like, but in the same fun way that DOOM isn’t representative of what being a soldier is like. It’s fun in the way Planet Coaster isn’t, for me: the core experience of Planet Coaster is launching the game, opening up a park, starting work on building something, hitting an unpleasant hitch that would make me backtrack a bunch, and deciding to quit the game instead.

Building mechanics walk this tightrope: Building things is inherently interesting, inherently fun. But it’s very easy to break the spell; it rests less on the question of how to make the mechanics fun, and more on how to refine them to sustain the play value of the thing. And, as often seems to be the case, more complexity and more options doesn’t improve the experience. Legos are by far the most popular toy in history, much more enduring than other building toys, precisely because they fit together in such limited and constrained ways. There’s no wrong way to fit two Lego blocks together, and that lack of judgment is essential to joy.

TacticalError

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome article, it made me realize why I like some creative games/modes more than others in a way I couldn't articulate before. I've been thinking about the two styles a lot while playing Kerbal Space Program, but I didn't put it together until now.

Murmur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I like Planet Coaster for the exact reason you don't: It makes you work for perfection. The tools it provides are precise enough to do most things I need them to do. And if I don't want to fiddle with it, I can just plop a ride or building down aligned with the path and not worry about it. But if I want to make it "mine" and "perfect," I can. I just need to put in the work. Everything exists in-game to make pretty much whatever I can imagine. Last night, for instance, I spent 3 hours making a subterranean coaster. Most of that time was spent fighting the camera (which I'll freely admit, needs some work), but I did it. Might it have gone quicker with better tools? Of course, but everything I needed, was already there.

Fallout, well, I completely agree: The game does not provide enough tools for what the base-building promises. The girlfriend has put 400+ hours into base-building and that is only because the modding community is so extensive. They have fixed a bunch of the construction issues you mentioned. The one she likes the best is the ability to delete anything, followed closely by the ability to freely place any object, unrestricted by the sticky-grid. But again, because these weren't included by the developers, they hampered their own product.

cropduster89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cropduster89

So not being pedantic or anything, but, if you scrap the yellow barrels around the pool, it's no longer radioactive. Health and safety is important at work and at home, but your fence is surplus to requirements and actually restricting access to a fresh water supply.

But I know what you mean, making cool stuff in the grid limitations of the old rct games felt more satisfying. There's a point with these games where it just feels like CAD software.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Great post. I have spent time building in both Planet Coaster and Fallout 4.

For Planet Coaster, you have hit on my problems for sure. I think the building elements are cool, if fiddly, but the game really throws everything at you quickly and after making a few pretty interesting and detailed areas for my park, that did well but didn't give me any particularly cool response from the game in any way, I got pretty bored. I am waiting for them to keep adding to it and see where it goes. Also the game really takes a performance hit as you build.

As for Fallout 4, I find your points right on as well. However, I do feel like they could do better to incentivize building in that game. If they did dial you back in some ways (which the Sims does, as you mention), I would be interested to see how it could go. I think the game Dark Cloud is an example you could look at. Imagine in Fallout 4 if you had real NPCs who you had to build certain things for on their specific plot of land set aside for them. They might give you quests to recover things for them which will benefit you and the group. They could also encourage you to build more things around the settlement for everyone in the way some other building/god/tycoon type games do. I think there is a ton that can be done there but it was left unexplored. I hope if they go this route again in one of their games they can add this kind of thing to it.

I built this in Fallout 4 and had fun but eventually was wondering why I was still building. Haven't gone back to the game yet.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
drew327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never got into the scenery placing in Roller Coaster Tycoon games because I felt the grid made it so limiting. Planet Coaster really gave me the feeling of "Ok, now I can really get it to look the way I want." But I feel you, it is such a bigger commitment.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Planet Coaster expects you to build a custom building around ride tracks to serve as the ride station, for example, but there are no affordances to make sure the height of the tracks conforms to the height of the standard building blocks.

You mean aside from the specific button in the ride menu that initiates building mode from the station grid, since all coaster stations are exact multiples of 4mx4m? With wall pieces that are specifically shaped to fit around where the track leaves the station?

Nitpicking aside, I agree with most of this, just maybe not quite as strongly. Planet Coaster is a really decent mix of grided parts and free placement, but is really constrained by how much time and effort you want to put in to make something that's 'just for you', especially if you want to go outside the bounds of the obvious scenery sets and use parts to simulate a different style.

But what annoys me more about the building system are inconsistencies; parts that are for some reason in the 'wrong' group (like half the shop signs being in 'scenery' instead of 'building'), parts that have a default alignment that makes no sense to how you'd use them (like a wooden post that is default aligned to lay on a surface instead of sticking out like many other similar posts), some parts which you can't colour when similar parts in the same set you can.

With just a tiny bit more ease of use, and less inconsistencies, building in Planet Coaster would be even better, but it's already one of the best.

Avatar image for inaudiblewhispa
InaudibleWhispa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The building in a game like Planet Coaster is hard to balance. You want to make it easy for casual players to enjoy, but complex enough for the people who are going to be playing it for years -- primarily as a creative sandbox. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 kept a loyal fanbase up until (and into) the launch of Planet Coaster, largely on the back of a mod community that tried to circumvent its limitations. It would've been a mistake to ignore that audience and thankfully they didn't; I feel they do have a pretty flexible and balanced tool-set that does let you create a large scale building relatively quickly and easily.

I think the larger problem is that the game does a terrible job of teaching you how to use it. Some of the key tools like ctrl+x (duplicate and advanced move) or pressing 'f' to center a window on a wall tile, things that make building much easier, are often ignored because the game makes the most minimum effort informing its players.

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I found that the game would let me do something that clearly should have been possible"

What? Is this a typo? Does he mean "wouldn't let me do something" ? Or "shouldn't have been possible" ?

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By larmer

Your Sims paragraph doesn't quite make sense. In Sims 4 you can build round rooms and you can adjust the size of the grid to make a hallway that is three and a half tiles wide.

I get your point though. By forcing players into grids there are design choices that simply aren't possible.

Jpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fall Out 4 basebuilding sucked. The Snap-to grid on some of the walls and roofs were so haphazardly done. Fencing was such a huge problem in that game. If you wanted to fence off areas that had uneven elevations all the pieces would stick out of the ground floating in mid air. Your article brings up that you wanted for everything to fit perfectly. Bethesda didn't give a good set of creation tools to make what you want. The limitations of the game prevent most players from making anything more than large boxes floating out in the sky.

Kholto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this has helped enlighten why I have barely played Planet Coaster after looking forwards to its release for a long time. I enjoy the ability to build detailed scenery a lot but only as an optional activity, however it seems like the campaign structure of the game has much less to offer than even the original Rollercoaster Tycoon, meanwhile the built-in scenery of the game doesn't offer enough variety to rely on it rather than building my own (if I want your park to look somewhat realistic).

I will say however that many aspects of the game are of a great individual quality, the landscaping tools are some of the best I have ever seen for example.

Where the old games had plenty of management/coaster building challenge with very limited tools for decoration, this one seems to mainly offer tools for decoration.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Dray2k

@artisanbreads said:

I built...in Fallout 4 and had fun but eventually was wondering why I was still building. Haven't gone back to the game yet.

The exact same problem existed back in 2009 - 2011 Minecraft actually. Back then there wasn't much that added incentive into building stuff other than participating into building contests or sending screenshots and levels online. Playing Online was also a thing, but a lot of stuff was also done offline. While building was fun, most people did not have the stamina to create truely impressive stuff. It was mostly done to create hype heres a link that helped to boost sales and heres one of the big reasons Minecraft got popular (we're talking about early Minecraft here where survival wasn't big thing). Most of these creations (Enterprise excluded, it was done by using a script that parsed black pixels into a 3d model) were done by hand, some people also used scripts to fill out stuff or create large holes to fill it with your stuff (sorta to circumvent the limitations given by the game as seen by the enterprise video). This sort of creative approach to what almost seems "too simple" is what made the game popular 6 years ago and thats also where sales picked up a ton.

Ultimately, I feel that the creative/crafting aspects we see in games nowadays stems from the willingness to let people try to topple what is possible, which is ironically artifical given that all tools designed restrict your creative approach/obfuscates from the real capabilities of the engine and its user. Minecrafts strongest point back in 2009 - 2011 was that its "tools" to build stuff was normalized since the only need is one tool to suit all your needs (besides using script based fill tools if you're into modding). What other game designers don't seem to realize is that many tools and ways to build stuff obfuscate from the freedom that Minecraft bought with its "one tool for anything" approach and your own approach in building stuff.

I believe that creative games work best if the game works as a canvas rather than a given setpiece. You can't change your prefered style in Fallout 4 or other games of the type, while in games like Minecraft you can do whatever you want (even change the textures of voxels via texture modding to personalize your large structure and your surroundings).

I wonder if you stopped building in FO4 because you wanted to create your own setpieces rather than what the setting and tools provided to you. Would that be the reason?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads
@kholto said:

I think this has helped enlighten why I have barely played Planet Coaster after looking forwards to its release for a long time. I enjoy the ability to build detailed scenery a lot but only as an optional activity, however it seems like the campaign structure of the game has much less to offer than even the original Rollercoaster Tycoon, meanwhile the built-in scenery of the game doesn't offer enough variety to rely on it rather than building my own (if I want your park to look somewhat realistic).

I will say however that many aspects of the game are of a great individual quality, the landscaping tools are some of the best I have ever seen for example.

Where the old games had plenty of management/coaster building challenge with very limited tools for decoration, this one seems to mainly offer tools for decoration.

I totally agree with you on this one. I think that game has slid by without getting called out for being terribly structured as a game. It is a good reminder to me how much those kind of seemingly small factors can matter to how a game comes across.

@dray2k said:

I wonder if you stopped building in FO4 because you wanted to create your own setpieces rather than what the setting and tools provided to you. Would that be the reason?

I think that's a pretty good call out F4 for me in the end, after accepting what they were doing. I think all your points are right on about why it isn't a great builder for itself. That means it should, like I outlined in my post, have gone into these different mechanical focus to the building, like building/simulation type games use, but again they just hardly engage with any of that when they created the building part of the game. To me that would have made a ton of sense in the RPG world they are going for but it isn't there at all. As a builder on its own, your analysis is pretty right on. I think it could have been its own slightly different thing more if they had fleshed it out.

HenryHolbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played Fallout 4 for over 70 hours, and at least 50 of them have been building. I find something immensely satisfying about the process, even if you are dead on about the game's shortfalls in implementing the system.

All you have to do is check out the Fallout 4 Settlements Reddit page to see the absolutely mind-bending things people are doing, all for the joy of building. But as someone else said, this is accomplished through liberal use of mods and something called the "rug glitch", a little game glitch oddity that allows you to trick the collision into letting you do almost anything.

So yes, the game designers fell short of implementing the building systems in a clean way, but I can assure you a lot of people enjoy the process all the same. Games are funny like that though, right? It doesn't have to be perfect for me to look at it and find something to love about it in my own personal way :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutsettlements/