Have I played your favorite 2D fighter released 1993 - 2003?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Oddly specific, I know, and it's not like you could read that title and know the answer off-hand.

Short version: What older fighting games should I check out?

Let's elaborate.

I like fighting games.

If I were to make a list of my favorite entries from various series, it would go something like:

• Super Street Fighter II Turbo
  • Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 2
  • Capcom vs. SNK 2
  • Darkstalkers 3
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
  • Killer Instinct

I've played most of the other entries in these series, so I feel pretty good about my favorites here.

Oh and I like Pocket Fighter. The old Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game is also cool. And Primal Rage is dumb, but I like that too.

There are so many other fighting games out there that I've barely touched or never played though:

Martial Masters, Last Blade, Asura Blade, Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter, World Heroes, Rage of the Dragons, Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness. It's a long list. I've heard Guilty Gear XX AC and King of Fighters '98 are perhaps the best entries of those franchises, but I haven't played enough GG or KoF to arrive at that conclusion myself. Oh and I like Samurai Shodown 2 more than 1...but there's Samsho 3, 4, and 5...

Is Samurai Shodown 5 any good? Should I play any of the other KoF games? SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos? Killer Instinct 2? How bout that Golden Axe: The Duel game?

What should I check out?

No newer things like GG Xrd, BlazBlue, Skullgirls, MK X, etc. I'm looking for older arcade games here.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, Capcom vs SNK 2, Mark of the Wolves and Third Strike are on that list, so yes! Unfortunately, my knowledge of yon old skoole fighting games is pretty limited outside of the ones that have been re-released on various digital download services/I happen to own on PS2, but I can say that the only old King of Fighters games worth taking a look at are '98 and 2002.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Brutal: Paws of Fury. For the PC, it is just the right kind of terrible. Also the whole animals doing martial arts is interesting at first glance.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if it's my favorite fighting game series then it goes to the Last Blade. I'd definitely recommend looking more those if you like the Samurai Shodown series. As long as we're on the Neo-Geo Waku Waku 7 is also an easy to pick up game that's fun to play and should at least be seen/experienced.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hamst3r

@arbitrarywater:2002 you say? Noted!

@tothenines: Oh my...

@spacerunaway: I will certainly play some more Last Blade. And Waku Waku 7, there's one I've never even heard of, and it looks rad, so thanks for that suggestion!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need to play kof 98 really, last blade 2

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

As someone who has recently played King of Fighters 98 properly for the first time that game is really worth checking out. It doesn't avoid a lot of the problems most fighting games have about execution and practice and all that but it feels so goddamn sharp it's a delight to get your hands on even if just for a bit.

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was recently in Hong Kong and King of Fighters '98 probably had the most players battling it out at the arcades. I'm kind of curious about Samurai Showdown 5 myself and I would take a look at a re-release.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hamst3r

@beachthunder: Oh man, I totally had that back in the day. That and FX Fighter and Xenophage. I still have my Xenophage CD.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hamst3r said:

@beachthunder: Oh man, I totally had that back in the day. That and FX Fighter and Xenophage. I still have my Xenophage CD.

Ha, I was totally going to recommend Xenophage as a joke.

Have you played Sango Fighter? Not sure if it holds up, but I really liked it in its time.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Street Fighter Alpha 3, so you definitey have.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

3s, samsho2, mark of the warves and kof '98 would be mine.

I also enjoyed the alpha series and xmen vs street fighter, but I never really played any of them all that much. CPS2 was such a kick-ass system.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I one of those weirdos that prefers SFII: Hyper Fighting to Super Turbo. And you are definitely lacking in the SNK representation. Most notably KOF 98 UM, Sam Sho II, and World Heroes 2.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16 fisk0  Moderator

@shagge said:
@hamst3r said:

Ha, I was totally going to recommend Xenophage as a joke.

Have you played Sango Fighter? Not sure if it holds up, but I really liked it in its time.

Alright, you guys have already covered all the games I wanted to mention. Sango Fighter was my jam, and Xenophage has the dumbest fatalities.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Waku Waku 7!?

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By IamTerics

I'm going to rep Samurai Shodown V Special. Its a rebalance of regular Samurai Shodown V. I've never played V but I heard its worse that V Special.

V Special is amazing and also complete bullshit. Its got a ton of characters new characters ,match-up specific one-hit kills, violent fatalities, a burst, parries, suicides, a disarming move for when you're unarmed, a freeze time move that basically give a free combo and other nonsense. Ukyo has tuberculosis. Charlotte has a taunt where she laughs at you that she can cancel into any special/super/fatality/suicide. There's a girl like Galford, except she ride her wolf. There's a Dark Haohmaru. There's fatalities. Shits crazy. I love it.

I've also heard somewhat good things about 6. Apparently you can choose your "spirit select" which lets you select version of Samraui Shodown(1-6) do you want this character to play as. Which sounds pretty cool on paper, but I haven't messed with it much.

As for other games... Last Blade games look great but I never got into them. This infinite combo video is pretty good though.

Guilty Gear XX AC +R and KoF 98/2002 are the respective favorites of their series. The older KoFs are cool looking and have way shorter combos than KoFXIII. Its the series I wish I played when it was popular.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks duders, definitely some great suggestions. Several games I haven't heard of, which is great! :D

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Solh0und

Power Instinct Matrimelee?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bit out of the date range but KoF Maximum Impact 2 is pretty damn good.