Have you burnt out on an anticipated game?

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By corruptsaves

I was counting the days for Red Dead Redemption to come out and even booked a week off work. Put in about 85ish hours that week and would play it nearly all day. I found it hard to go back to after that and just about skimmed through Undead nightmare. Won't be playing it anytime soon.

Think i've learnt my lesson, i'll still play a lot but just have to watch it when I start to overheat.  

Skyrim will be the next game, but I don't think the rules apply for that! 

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MistaSparkle

You don't really need to play that game past 20 hours. You seriously played the hell out of it eh?

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Portis

I put 145 hours into MAG in the first 2 months of release. I was thoroughly enjoying it until one day I just put it down, and never went back. Never had the illusion I was ever going to go back to it, though. That was enough MAG to last a lifetime.

EDIT: You know what, Fallout: New Vegas is another. I was super hyped about the game, and played a good 23 hours of it in one week. Then all of a sudden I just decided "I don't really want to play this anymore. Like, ever" and stopped. I don't think it's a bad game or anything, but I suddenly just lost to urge to play it more.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By corruptsaves

Yeah played it a bit too much, trying to get everything. Most of the treasure map locations would stick out like sore thumbs.  

I think loosing the urge can happen when it becomes a bit too routine. Like all the immersion/fun is all rattled off of the experience, for some styles of games anyway.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Azteck

I never really get that, I usually just lose steam for games completely for a few days/weeks/months and can't seem to enjoy them for hours on end. It comes and goes, I might be super into games one week and the next it feels really boring and pointless to me.

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Godak

I had a similar experience with Red Dead Redemption. My mind had created this fantastical western world, and, within one week, I had put fifty or so hours (including multiplayer) into it. I took a short break, tried to continue my Marstonian adventures, and I just...couldn't. Darn.

Maybe I had just devoured the major bits of content far too quickly, but I can usually play open world games far longer than a measly fifty hours. That story, though...one of the best western narratives in any medium.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463

Red Dead was it for me. I had wanted to play it for a long time, but could never find it on sale, even months after it released, and I kept holding out hope they would announce a PC version. So when I realized that was never go to happen I started looking around locally and I got it from someone for $20, played about 5 hours of it, and hated every second of it. I was really disappointed after that. So I put it back on the shelf and didn't touch it for months. Then one day on a whim I put it back in to give it one last chance to get me and I started to enjoy it. I still don't think it's this huge revolutionary game that is the greatest thing of all time, but I did go from hating it to feeling it was worth the $20.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Atlas

I was super psyched for Forza 3. I pre-ordered the Limited Edition, got it the day it came out, played the absolute shit out of it for three solid weeks, loved it all to hell...and then one day I put it down and I've barely picked it up again since. Seriously, a good 100-150 hours just flew by while playing that game, and since then I've probably played it less than five. Those weeks after release were amazing, and it still ranks as one of my very favourite current gen releases, but for some reason I reached my limit, and once I was done with it I had little to no desire to pick it back up.

It'll be really interesting to see if the same happens with Forza 4. That too will be a day one purchase, and if there's a special edition worth having, I'll have it, because I fucking love those games.

Scattergories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Scattergories

This case doesn't completely fit into your rubric but I feel like it is relatable to this condition of love-hate. 
 My friend showed me Minecraft about 6 months ago and I was instantly enamoured and bought it almost right away. I would play it for 7-10 hours a day for three months. I'm bad at math but that is a lot of Minecraft-ing. Now I turn it on and play it about five or ten minutes a day, if that. I only really get excited when an update comes out and play it for an hour then turn it off, I don't know what it is but I wish I could shake it and love it again.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Crysis, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed, GTA IV 

All games i anticipated with extreme hype, loved to death, and am unable to go back to

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Seedofpower

I put 263 hours into retribution. I got back to it every now and again. I'll stop when the next installment comes out.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MKHavoc

I'm like that with a lot of games I like. For whatever reason I just can't bring myself to play them again. I find it so weird when I hear people talk about all the times they replayed Mass Effect 2. I liked the game too, but I haven't put the disc back in since the day I finished it. Is there really that much more to go back to?

jaketaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jaketaylor

Morrowind and Oblivion. Damn near failed some of my courses because of Morrowind.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

forza 3, i played it for a while. i stopped. my hard drive broke, i dropped it too many times. i finally got into the game to beat it. i only need the drift achievement. i don't plan on getting.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fable 2 , I absolutely LOVE the hell out of that game. The thing is I did literally anything but the main quests, by the time I actually started following the story quests I just didn't have it in me.