Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help a new PC gamer out.

drockus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys. So I have been absent from the world of PC gaming for about a decade. Now, being happily divorced, I have taken the next plunge and have spent a little over $2000 throwing together a new PC. I'll have the Witcher 3 (free with the video card I bought) to keep me busy for a little while, but the truth of the matter is that I'll be broke for a few months, with maybe $150 allotted to game purchases in those months. I'd like to make that go as far as possible.

So my question is: Can you guys throw suggestions my way for getting the biggest bang for my buck price/content wise with limited funds in the immediate future? Are there any inexpensive steam purchases you guys and gals have made from which you feel you have got more than your money's worth?

My tastes are all over the place so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_Tribunal

Binding of Isaac and Spelunky are pretty cheap and wonderfully re-playable. Obviously Civ V will get you your monies worth. You can also look to Endless Legend or the recent Total War games for more stuff in the 4x genre. Skyrim and New Vegas have great modders (not a lot of great modding fans though). Oh and the Dragon Age games are great if your into fantasy rpgs like the witcher, and they'll certainly get you your money's worth aw well.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and the crpg renaissance is in full swing. I really enjoyed Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 after playing them earlier this year. Shadowrun returns is also great, but its not as meaty as the firs two.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ezekiel

If you haven't played PC games in a decade, then there's no point in buying anything from Steam unless it's discounted by 75 percent or more. There are discounts all the time. The Steam Summer Sale should start next month.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Completely forgot about that. Spend your time with the Witcher 3 and then, when the sale goes up, those $150 bucks will probably set you up for the next two years.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

There are a ton of Free to Play games that are actually worth checking out, and there are a couple of good "buy to play" MMOs that are worth your time as well that you can find quite cheap. Many are on Steam. Don't discount F2P as being garbage just because they're free, they are some of the most popular PC games right now.

Keep an eye out for weekly Steam sales and pick up games that look interesting when they are 75% off or something like that. Check historical game prices on steamprices.com/us before buying. Definitely wait until the Steam Summer Sale starts before buying anything that isn't deeply discounted though, which should be next month.

Here are some free or really cheap games worth checking out:

• Dota 2
    • League of Legends
    • Heroes of the Storm
    • Hearthstone
    • There are free Starter Editions of all the popular Blizzard games - StarCraft 2, WoW, Diablo 3
    • Path of Exile
    • Marvel Heroes
    • Team Fortress 2
    • Warframe
    • War Thunder
    • Guild Wars 2 - $20 on Amazon, no monthly fee.
    • Star Wars - The Old Republic

Don't feel like you have to spend a bunch of money on games right now to get some use out of your PC, because you really don't.

drockus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By drockus

Thanks everybody. The help was much appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 2 is $3 on Steam for the weekend if you haven't played that & want to get into it before the 3rd one.

cwniles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cwniles

heh heh...happily divorced. nice. As others have mentioned, Steam Weekend Sales/Daily Deals and the big seasonal ones...summer coming soon. I have been using Steam for almost a decade, since back when it was a forced install (with Half Life 2 I believe) and I hated it...damn third party software hogging up my system resources and taking up chunks of the then quite limited bandwidth of my dial up 56Kbps internet connection. A lot has changed since then and Steam is pretty much all I use now for buying and playing games. Of course, as big as Steam has gotten there has been the inevitable backlash against them for a variety of reasons (some legitimate some not so much). Of course one should always mention Humble Bundle as well.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably I'd recommend saving money till you find something that looks great on a steam sale, especially if it's a fairly recent game. The biggest sales are the one in summer, and the one in winter.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By monetarydread

Like others have mentioned, enjoy the fuck out of The Witcher 3. There should be a steam sale in the next month and a half, so you will find some awesome games soon.

If you are looking for a few PC games to test that tiny-god you call a new PC, check out; the excellent port of GTA V, a fully modded-the-fuck-out Skyrim (Last I saw the game was $5), then Crysis 3. Those four games should give you an eyegazm that lasts months on end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.