Help me decide what to play in my GOTY crunch.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By UitDeToekomst

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By inkerman

I said Spec Ops, because I think what it does is interesting, and should be experienced, even if its not the best game of the year.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UitDeToekomst

Help me decide what to play in my GOTY crunch.

I like to have a solid comprehension of the games the Giant Bomb crew discuss in the GOTY deliberations. I have played a lot of games this year, and for the first time I feel as though I am pretty close to having an understanding of most of what will be talked about.

I plan to cram in as much game playing as I can in the next 10 days prior to the posting of Giant Bomb's Game of the Year discussions. Luckily, I only work 2 of these days, which will leave me significant time to play large portions of probably 3 or 4 games. I have included options in this poll that represent 2012 games that I own but have not yet played.

The votes here will determine which ones I play between now and the posting of the discussions. Feel free to make arguments for or against, or to suggest other games (although you will have no reliable way to know what I have and have not played). Go!

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By pantzing_nome

I really enjoyed Binary Domain, but if you don't have a lot of time I've heard that Spec Ops is a good game and you can beat the campaign in 4 hours.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Spec Ops: The Line 100%. It's my GOTY, and could very well be my game of the generation. It's also relatively short- I played through it in three sittings, but again, I was hooked.
Also, get it out of the way in case of spoilers. I haven't played Binary Domain or BLOPS2 yet, but you don't really need to worry about story for any of the other games.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I'm gonna go with Dishonored on this one. From recollection in a squeeze this game can be action-gameplayed out in... 6-8 hours? Plus, it's a lot of fun to go through. The ending is kind of on the lamer side, but the story overall is pretty good. Definitely isn't THE GOTY, but it's definitely a fun game. Spec Ops has a crazy story, but for some reason, the gameplay didn't really tickle my fancy.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xMrSunshine

BD and Spec Ops would probably be the wild cards in that group. Spec Ops more than BD. They're both pretty short as well, I beat Spec Ops in 4h and BD in 9h according to Steam, so you can squeeze them out fairly fast.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By D_W

Fuck those games. Play this cool little japanese indie game called Fairy Bloom Freesia. It's a great 2.5D Spectacle Fighter that I can't believe I enjoyed so much.

(Actually I didn't play any of those game, and they're all probably alright.)

kadayi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kadayi

I say go with Spec Ops:The Line. Certainly not the greatest game ever, or likely to win many GoTY awards in truth, however it does do some great things narratively and really surprises at times.

Certainly Dishonored is an interesting title, but in my view it's a little wonky in places and the story is painfully obvious in terms of the beats (everything is signposted to the extreme). The mechanics are certainly sound, but I found I was struggling to decide what to put points into even before I was halfway through the game because Stealth play really only require a few skills, and that's the optimal mode to get the better ending.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I haven't played it (or anything else here), but from what I've read Spec Ops is probably the shortest/easiest and also has the most compelling story beats per hour.

Then again, I haven't played these games so... uhh play Soulcalibur V, 'cause that's a pretty dope game.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Dishonored as that game is a lot of fun and caters to both action and stealth. It isn't terrible long either to finish so get it out of the way first.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

Dishonored, then Spec Ops.