Help with gaming PC

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By bwooduhs

I'm looking into buying a new computer and i want it to be able to play any games out today on high settings. I was wondering if this PC would do the trick.

Intel Core i5 3550 3.30 GHz 6M LGA1155 Processor

8GB Kit Dual Channel RAM DDR3-1333 OEM

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6.0Gb/s 3.5' Internal Hard Drive

Liteon 12x Internal SATA Blu-Ray DVDRW iHBS212 Lightscribe

Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Intel H77 mAtx LGA1155

Power Color HD7850 2GB 860MHz/1200MHzX4 256bit DVI/HDMI/DP

Great Wall 550W AdvanceX Power,Ultra quite,12cm Fan

Any opinions would be great.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RainDog505

i5 seems to be everyone's Intel sweet spot at the moment and the i5 3550 is at the mid-upper end of the spectrum. You shouldn't any problems with that. Obviously an i7 will be your best bet for longevity, but it's a pretty steep price increase...so precede with the utmost wallet-caution

Blu-Ray drive? If you absolutely want it, go for it. But that's an easy 80 USD you can deposit into another component (GPU, RAM).

I am a bit of an absolute separatist when it comes to matching CPU/GPU, so your choice of an AMD GPU with an Intel CPU irks me. I've had nasty experiences with cooperation issues when yoking the two together. But I know of plenty of people who disagree with me and go all willy-nilly patchwork, so you are probably safe. The 7850 is an okay choice if gaming at 1920X1080. Even then, juggernauts like Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 will drop frames (like run somewhere around 40 FPS on high at 1920X1080 with dips to high 20s). I'd either switch over to Nvida 670 (roughly a 100USD more...remember that Blu-Ray we talked about???) or AMD 7950 for more head room.

Be sure to recalculate your power consumption if you make any changes. I personally like to leave myself some room to grow (SLI/CrossFire, additional HDD, SSD), so I placed a 1250W power supply in my current rig.

Hope this helps a bit. I do not profess to keep up with PC tech until about six months before upgrade/new build time, so I'm sure other members of the community will fill in the inevitable gaps I may have left.

Best of luck with the new machine!