Hot-Ass Rumor Of The Day: Sega To Unveil Daytona USA Revival?

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By ferrarimanf355

Hey guys, since most of the E3 reveals were leaked like a guy who really needs to take a pee, let me throw out a rumor that should happen after E3, if my sources are right.

Last week, I was talking to a friend of mine who works in the arcade game industry. I'd love to say who he is, but he asked to remain in the shadows. Anyways, while talking about his former employer, he mentioned, out of the blue, that Sega was working on a new Daytona USA game. Now, he wasn't going to yank my chain over this. He knows that I consider Daytona USA 2 to be the pinnacle of arcade racers- hell, of video games in general. He wouldn't play with my emotions, right?

Well, looking at the ancillary evidence, I found two reasons to believe in him.

First, the potential issue was that the Daytona USA trademark is actually held by the International Speedway Corporation, a NASCAR affiliated company. Since EA holds the exclusive rights to NASCAR games, that should be the end of it, right? Wrong. EA appears to be giving up exclusivity rights, and someone already pounced on the opportunity to make an online NASCAR league. So, if NASCAR is willing to play ball with non-EA game companies, then surely they can play ball with Sega again.

Secondly, Sega released a Daytona USA soundtrack boxset last April. Someone at Sega must be aware of the franchises' 15th anniversary, and they're probably, hopefully, going to do more than just a OST boxset.

I didn't get anything else from my buddy. Is this going to be a brand new game? A re-release of the original game or its 1998 sequel? If it's brand new, what will it look like and what hardware will it be on? That last question is not an accident. I was told that it would debut at the JAMMA arcade show on September 17-19. Maybe, just maybe, we'll get home ports. But this rumor gave me something to look forward to post-E3.

In the meantime, here's a little something...

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ferrarimanf355

Hey guys, since most of the E3 reveals were leaked like a guy who really needs to take a pee, let me throw out a rumor that should happen after E3, if my sources are right.

Last week, I was talking to a friend of mine who works in the arcade game industry. I'd love to say who he is, but he asked to remain in the shadows. Anyways, while talking about his former employer, he mentioned, out of the blue, that Sega was working on a new Daytona USA game. Now, he wasn't going to yank my chain over this. He knows that I consider Daytona USA 2 to be the pinnacle of arcade racers- hell, of video games in general. He wouldn't play with my emotions, right?

Well, looking at the ancillary evidence, I found two reasons to believe in him.

First, the potential issue was that the Daytona USA trademark is actually held by the International Speedway Corporation, a NASCAR affiliated company. Since EA holds the exclusive rights to NASCAR games, that should be the end of it, right? Wrong. EA appears to be giving up exclusivity rights, and someone already pounced on the opportunity to make an online NASCAR league. So, if NASCAR is willing to play ball with non-EA game companies, then surely they can play ball with Sega again.

Secondly, Sega released a Daytona USA soundtrack boxset last April. Someone at Sega must be aware of the franchises' 15th anniversary, and they're probably, hopefully, going to do more than just a OST boxset.

I didn't get anything else from my buddy. Is this going to be a brand new game? A re-release of the original game or its 1998 sequel? If it's brand new, what will it look like and what hardware will it be on? That last question is not an accident. I was told that it would debut at the JAMMA arcade show on September 17-19. Maybe, just maybe, we'll get home ports. But this rumor gave me something to look forward to post-E3.

In the meantime, here's a little something...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Dood.

Yes.

FUCKING YES!

F  U  C  K  I  N  G           Y  E  S   ! ! ! ! 1 1 SHIFT 1!!!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By FrankCanada97

Rolling Start!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I wish, but I doubt it.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

This will be exciting only if this song is included:

FRY SKY HIGH!  These games had some hilarious tracks.
ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ferrarimanf355

UPDATE: Well, there was a major announcement at E3 that bolsters reason number 1 as to why I believe this rumor. Sony Computer Entertainment got the NASCAR license, and NASCAR will be represented in the next Gran Turismo game.