How do you listen to your games?

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As the title says, how do you listen to your games? Tv speakers, surround sound, soundbar, stereo headphones, surround sound headphones, 5.1or7.1 surround audio? If this your prefered way of hearing your games or do you use headphones so that other folks in the living space aren't bothered?

I use 5.1 surround sound headphones out of preference 90% of the time.

I rarely use my soundbar unless people are over or it is a 2d game, and it's still rare with te latter. Though I'd like some 7.1 headphones.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ezekiel

Stereo headphones. Panasonic RP HTF600.

I want to try surround sound, but I live in an apartment without carpet. (I don't want carpet.)

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

With my ears.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Hayt

Entirely based on time of day. Speakers (2.1 with a bassy subwoofer) until about 8pm and then I switch to a headset (Logitech G35) for my neighbours' sake.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 5.1 surround sound setup connected to all my media devices which I use for pretty much everything, but I picked up the Sony Gold 7.1 headset for my PS4 and I'm getting spoiled by it. Alien: Isolation was absolutely nuts with the headset, especially being able to hear things crawling around above and below you.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bybeach

I have a Logitech head-set for an alternative. But I really enjoy my 5:1 surround sound, Pioneer/JBL

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MegaLombax

@sterling said:

With my ears.

This. Also, through TV speakers. Used to have 5.1 speakers but the wife does not appreciate loud gaming sounds.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I prefer headphones for story-based games or things I'm going through the first time, to make sure I get all the audio details. For multiplayer or subsequent runs, I do either speaker audio or just no audio.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alkusanagi: would you reccomend buying a 7.1 headset (I have a 5.1 one)? Is it a huge game changer? I've been thinking about it but I bought my headset only a year ago, so I'm on the fence

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@basm321: I honestly couldn't tell you since I've only used standard stereo headsets before jumping straight to 7.1. I'd assume there would be a difference, but probably not enough to warrant spending the money unless you were looking for a replacement for old 5.1s.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stereo headphones, but the game audio is often muted or drowned out by music.

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stereo headphones. Audio-Technica ATH-A500x & a Asus Xonar Essence STX. Really makes you appreciate when a game has great sound design like BF4.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using surround sound headsets for a few years now (since I got really into CoD4 multiplayer). It's hard to go back to speakers, I feel like I'm losing so much fidelity.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just regular TV speakers for me. For someone who wears glasses, wearing a pair of headphones on top is especially uncomfortable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stereo headphones (Generic) for 99% of my gaming regardless of when, where or what device I may be using. Even if no one else is in the house, I still use them.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've got 5.1 speakers set up which I use most of the time. At night or when I really want to immerse myself, I use my headphones.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Analog Steelseries Siberia V2.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stereo speakers. At night i just have to go with low volume.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By TheHT

Stereo headphones. Some old Logitech headset that's falling apart. Still comfy though.

I tried to hook it up to my PS3 but apparently you can't get game audio out through a USB headset, so it's regular TV speakers for that thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the time it's just through my TV speakers, but sometimes I use my stereo headphones when I want to immerse myself in the game.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Corsair Vengeance 2100 "7.1" headphones for wireless, late night immersion! One for me and one for my wife. Using a 5.1 speaker system otherwise.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Headphones for everything. I actually get the sound out of my Ps3 by repeating it through my PC. Adds a bit of lag, but It's not like I'm playing rhythm games on it anyways.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually just use TV speakers but when I'm playing on PC (which is where I do most of my gaming these days) I use headphones. I also play a lot of podcast/music games where I mute them completely and just listen to whatever.

Moldiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Moldiver

Most of the time I'm using a Kef 5.1 set up running into my sony receiver. Kef Q500, Q200C are at the front, when online and in a party I've got a set of Tirtton AX Pro+ that work with pc and any modern console.

Could never go back to TV speakers, big ass sound system and tv for me.

Also I've wore glasses all my life and I find no problem with a big set of headphones on.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On console I usually just use the TV speakers. On PC, where most of my gaming happens, I use AudioTechnica ATH-M50. They aren't "gamer" headphones by any means since they have a limited sound stage (can't pinpoint the distance and location of sounds all that well) but they sound amazing. I use them a lot for guitar recording.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By agentboolen

I played most of uncharted 2 with my sound bar that fills the room much better then my TV, but since then we have 2 sons recently born so that fun had to end. :(

Now I'm just using the TV speakers.

I don't know how people use those big surround sound headsets, I would think they would get uncomfortable.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Stereo headphones. Those surround sound headsets are a waste of money, it's either emulated which anyone can do anyway, or they're crapping a bunch of drivers into a fairly tiny space and it's just dumb. Considering stereo gets you all the spacial awareness you'd ever need it'd be silly to spend 4x as much on that stuff.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Built in TV speakers for console games, Sennheiser headphones for my PC. Also, is it weird if I turn the music down on almost every game I play, and listen to my own stuff instead?

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In-ear headphones these days. Much more comfortable to me than the ear muff headphones. Maybe one day I'll switch to headsets, I'll have to look up ones that are comfortable.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CaLe

Sennheiser headphones 90% of the time. I've tried various gaming headphones but they all hurt my head after a while, a problem I've never had with Sennheisers after a few days of wear. I run my consoles through a MixAmp Pro via optical cable, so the sound quality is about as good as it gets. It's a nice bonus to be able to play audio from my PC through it at the same time if I want, for games where sound isn't so important.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wireless headphones; Sennheiser RS180

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ravelle

I have logitech 5.1 surround system hooked to my PS4 and my Sony 47 inch television came with a surround soundbar for enhanced sound.

For PC gaming I have the Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II, it doesn't have a separate subwoofer but they have one build in and create a wonderful surround sound with bass. A great set of speakers for a reasonable price.

For the nights I have a Razer Orca.

People that are using the TV speakers don't know what they're missing, listening to someone playing a game sounds like it's produced from soup cans.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some dull stereo headset, sennheiser brand, that I got on sale a while back

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Avatar image for respiteforthelovelorn
RespitefortheLovelorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm back and forth with my ghetto setups.Sometimes I like to use my cheap desktop speakers and other times I'll use my PS Gold for PC.I really need to get a decent PC headset.Pls don't make fun of me.