How do you use your Switch/SteamDeck?

bitbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How do you use your Switch/SteamDeck? (43 votes)

Switch/SteamDeck is a home console exclusively 35%
Switch/SteamDeck is a home console with rare outside use 37%
Switch/SteamDeck does a bit of both 19%
Switch/SteamDeck is a mobile console with rare inside use 9%
Switch/SteamDeck is a mobile console exclusively 0%

Hey! I have a question about mobile gaming for y'all, one that has bugged me since the release of the Switch and which has now cropped up again with the Steam Deck.

Valve's much awaited mobile gaming thing is finally out (I think its out anyway, reviews are definitely out there) and a some of the discussion, like with the Switch, revolves around playing outside the house. Many of the images that accompany articles about it show the Steam Deck on a train, in the park, and even on a highway overpass for some very good highway overpass gaming.

The question that I am genuinely curious about is how many Switch (and Steam Deck if you managed to get your hands on one) owners actually use the console outside your home? For me personally, the Switch is more of a playing on the sofa type of device, when the TV is otherwise occupied or even just connected to my PC monitor as a normal console. I have only seen a Switch once in the wild during my commute and I get the sense from listening to the GB folk talk about it that it also stays at home for them. It just seems like a weird disconnect to me, between the marketing and discussion around the consoles and their actual use.

Now don't get me wrong, I think the Switch is a great device to use at home and the ability to use it on the occasional long plane or train journey is great but to me it is still a predominantly "home" console. The one use case that I think it is genuinely great is taking it with you when visiting friends or staying with family but that is still being inside.

I am really curious to hear what everyone thinks, I don't have any gaming friends so the above is mostly based on personal experience. Thanks!

• 
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Switch never leaves the dock.

I actually don't even think I could play it otherwise at the moment cause one of the joycons is real fucked up.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I play my Switch undocked probably about 60-70% of the time, but I've never played it outside. I've taken it with me to play in other buildings that aren't my home, but I don't use public transit, and playing it outside seems like a good way to get robbed around where I live.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I flip flop. I used to bring it on all my commutes, but now that I have a car and a job a couple of minutes away, there's no need. I'll still bring it to work for dinner breaks from time to time. And there are plenty of times I'll play handheld even though I'm at home because I'd rather play in bed than sit in front of the TV.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4 sweep  Moderator

Not in recent years (for obvious reasons), but the Switch is basically my airplane console. I live on the opposite side of the planet to my family so several times a year I'm catching a 20+ hour flight each way to go see them, and that's where I think the switch really shines.

I'd use it in handheld if my partner wants to play PS5 or watch a netflix show I don't care about, so I can sit on the couch with her still. I wouldn't play anything with a strong narrative though, it was mostly fooling around in animal crossing or picross.

vic11con

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use at as a home console 95% of the time and only use it rarely as a mobile console.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I use it 99% at home, but almost never on the TV.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Basically docked only for the first two years of my having mine because of the lack of ergonomics with the standard joy cons. Grip cases only gave me a few extra minutes before my wrists would start hurting when trying to play a game that needs a lot of button presses, like Smash Ultimate or Devil May Cry 3. Using a cellphone-esque mount with the pro controller was a great idea in theory, but failed due to the sub-optimal weight distribution since the Switch is heavier than a phone. I was only on the fence with Hori's Split Pad Pro due its compromises; specifically that it can only be used portability due to the lack of wireless functionality. And I wasn't aware of Skull & Co or Satisfye until late last year.

But, finally, binbok's joy cons has made handheld use significantly more viable, so now I'm finally using the damn thing as a hybrid console after two years of experimenting.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I personally prefer to treat them as home consoles while keeping their condition intact after playing.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By apewins

I never cared for the portability, I use Nintendo portables because they have great, unique games. Especially during the GBA era they kept 2D gaming alive with titles like Castlevania, Mega Man and Final Fantasy tactics just to name a few when all home consoles where chasing 3D. That's why I'm not interested in the Steam deck.

I don't need to be gaming all the time. My commute to work is about 50 minutes, but the problem is that I have to switch subways midway. I don't want to game for 10 minutes and risk missing my stop. The subway is also often packed, and I wouldn't call it dangerous but shit can happen that you want to keep an eye out for.

And when I'm on a plane or some other longer ride, I've also got ebooks, music and podcasts, movies and shows on my tablet that you can consume passively. When I'm at my parents the Switch is nice to have, but that's only a few days a year.

Though that sometimes when I'm bored at home, I'll go to the cafe to play a round or too, but I get self-conscious if I stay there for too long without ordering another drink.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I mostly played it docked, though it did come in handy during a trip to New Orleans last summer when a huge storm ripped through and I was stuck in my hotel for a few hours. After that trip though (and a lot of before that trip) I barely touched the thing, at some point it wound up on the floor for months and when I finally docked it again it didn’t power on, which was sad and I’m not sure what could’ve happened but…it was just sitting there on the floor for about six months.