I am going on THE RAID (again)

Core647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Core647

So a couple of years ago I went on THE RAID.

It was my first time in Japan and it was the best. So good that I am heading back to Japan next week, this time with more friends to see more of the country! I dedicated 2-3 days of pure video game shopping last time and want to do at least the same if not more this time. I will be split across the country over 10 days, but can guarantee that I will have at least 2 days in Osaka and 2 days in Tokyo for nothing but video games.

The only thing I regret from last time is not going over there with any plan. Not so much about where I wanted to go, more about what I specifically wanted to buy. I came back with a whole bunch of awesome stuff but straight away had thoughts of "maaannnn I wish I had looked for a copy of X while I had the chance..."

So my question to you all, given enough time and money to be let loose in Japan what games would you absolutely want to come back with?

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ninnanuam

I've done this twice now.

First time it was all about Yakuza for me, I ended up picking up two LTD edition Vitas, and all the Yakuza spin offs.

Second time was all weird licensed Otaku shit that ill likely never play, like the Himoto Vita game.

I wished I had picked up the LTD edition Psycho Pass Xbox One and a few LTD ed PS4's. but I was worried about weight.

I cant recommend what you should grab that's sorta up to your tastes, If I had a lot of funds and wasn't worried about weight/transport Id go arcade boards, and Ltd consoles. I would also recommend Den Den over Akiba, the prices seemed better and you can get it done quicker.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Games are cool and all, but going to a country as cool and beautiful as Japan just to buy games seems like a waste.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@wemibelec90: He said he's going to see more of the country. So I doubt all he's doing is buying video games.

Core647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: You will notice that I said I WASN'T going purely to buy games, but thanks for critiquing my holiday!

@ninnanuam: Space is definitely not an issue and I am very keen to look into arcade stuff more. I didn't have a whole lot of success last time but I really only went to Mak and wasn't really looking for boards. I really want to find some cheap MVS carts but that stuff is pretty common back home too.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ripelivejam

man i miss japan, but i'm super fucking fortunate to at least have been there once. i was 13 so maybe i didn't appreciate it as much as i should have but it was still pretty awesome. also my first exposure to secret of mana, super bomberman 2, and daytona usa (which blew my impressionable mind graphically speaking then).

not sure what i'd come back with now as my judgemental mind thinks the only unique stuff there now is graphical novels, weird jrpgs, some dumb game called Persona 5, and pachinko. maybe i'll snag a Game Boy Micro.

hope you have a fun time there, see a bunch of cool stuff and video many a game as well.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WynnDuffy

Do you actually speak the language? My girlfriend is a native and my ability is good enough to get through games but even with those caveats I didn't really care much about buying games. If you don't understand the language you are gonna be limited to what you can feasibly play.

I bought her a Game Boy Advance and Pokemon Fire Red for around $30 USD at Friends in Akihabara. She likes it more than Pokemon Go, so I think that was a great success in itself.

Everybody speaks about Tokyo for buying games but let me tell you the store I found in Aru Aru City of Kitakyushu kicked Akiba's ass, I found a mint condition boxed copy of Mario 64 for something like $15 USD.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Also not sure if you're into fighting games but visiting the arcades like what Dudeglove said might still be worth your while (it has more than just fighting games obviously). Would be something you and your friends might want to do while you're there.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would definitely prefer to spend my money in the arcades instead of buying games I won't understand.

Core647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Core647

Don't worry about arcades, I will have that covered! The shmup floor at Hey is basically like heaven to me and will be hanging out there a bunch.

I don't really put too much thought into the language thing when buying games, I look for interesting or dumb looking stuff mostly, like this Saturn game based on Wizard of OZ.

Trash like that is the most fun to look through in my opinion.