I think I have a problem...

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Edited By ch13696

I'm looking at my game catalog and it's getting to the point where I'm wondering "why am I buying all of these?" It's so hard to explain. Co-workers and friends tell me "pick this up" or " buy this game, it's bad ass". The sad part is that this is the only thing that peer pressure easily takes over me. I have over 100 titles on PC, over 50 titles on PS2, over 20 on PS3, over 40 on Xbox 360, and so on. Most of them I get used at Gamestop, swap meets, or friends. Some of these games I haven't even popped in to my system. 

Now I can go the way of over weight people or alcoholics and blame the companies for the temptation, but I'm not that kind of person. My actions are my responsibilities. Almost everyday I think about or I do walk into Gamestop and browse their used section. Half the time leaving empty handed. Everyday I browse through the App store just to look for a game that can occupy my time just for a few minutes. At this point I have 6 pages on my iPhone full of games either purchased or free.  

What am I trying to accomplish? What kind of road am I following? That's just the thing. I...don't...know. I'm not a game journalist, there's no reason for me to have a pile of shame. Am I trying to beat a world record. I don't think that's possible for me. Some of the games I want I can't find. Is it the trophy's or achievements? Nope, I only have 2 platinum trophies and 1 S-rank. Is it the popularity in the leaderboards? Yeah right. I've reached rank 40 on MW2 and haven't played since. 

Maybe it's the fact that I want to enjoy the same experience as everyone else. Maybe I want something to talk about to everyone instead of being the loner in the corner. It gets to me sometimes that I can never find out what problem I'm running into now. So many things run into my head. On top of other situations. I'm kicking a family member out of my house and I have a child on the way. If this is an addiction I need to get it under control. Or else I'm gonna be like some other fathers, giving my entire pay check to child support while living in a shack. And then definitely I won't have any video games to play.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ch13696

I'm looking at my game catalog and it's getting to the point where I'm wondering "why am I buying all of these?" It's so hard to explain. Co-workers and friends tell me "pick this up" or " buy this game, it's bad ass". The sad part is that this is the only thing that peer pressure easily takes over me. I have over 100 titles on PC, over 50 titles on PS2, over 20 on PS3, over 40 on Xbox 360, and so on. Most of them I get used at Gamestop, swap meets, or friends. Some of these games I haven't even popped in to my system. 

Now I can go the way of over weight people or alcoholics and blame the companies for the temptation, but I'm not that kind of person. My actions are my responsibilities. Almost everyday I think about or I do walk into Gamestop and browse their used section. Half the time leaving empty handed. Everyday I browse through the App store just to look for a game that can occupy my time just for a few minutes. At this point I have 6 pages on my iPhone full of games either purchased or free.  

What am I trying to accomplish? What kind of road am I following? That's just the thing. I...don't...know. I'm not a game journalist, there's no reason for me to have a pile of shame. Am I trying to beat a world record. I don't think that's possible for me. Some of the games I want I can't find. Is it the trophy's or achievements? Nope, I only have 2 platinum trophies and 1 S-rank. Is it the popularity in the leaderboards? Yeah right. I've reached rank 40 on MW2 and haven't played since. 

Maybe it's the fact that I want to enjoy the same experience as everyone else. Maybe I want something to talk about to everyone instead of being the loner in the corner. It gets to me sometimes that I can never find out what problem I'm running into now. So many things run into my head. On top of other situations. I'm kicking a family member out of my house and I have a child on the way. If this is an addiction I need to get it under control. Or else I'm gonna be like some other fathers, giving my entire pay check to child support while living in a shack. And then definitely I won't have any video games to play.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Organicalistic_
@ch13696: i respect you
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ch13696
@organicalistic_: Thanks dude. This is something that I needed to get out. And I knew this would be a perfect place instead of those social networking sites.
PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By PerryVandell

Wow, um... well maybe before buying another game, you get your finances in order? There's nothing wrong with owning and buying a lot of games, but if you feel the need to buy more, even though you don't want that game, maybe you just need to take a breather. Take a couple days of and just release stress. Also remember that while you aren't a game journalist now, you can always become one later. Hope this sort've helps, and good luck!

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sanryd

I haven't seemed to develop that sort of problem because I'm so harsh when I judge games. If it's not amazing, I usually won't play it. I never buy or play games that are just ok or decent. They have to be really, really fun or else I usually won't touch them. I would suggest setting a budget for yourself for a certain period of time. That way you'll be more careful when choosing and won't buy so many.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ch13696

Finances aren't a problem. Though stress like Fullmetal216 mentioned is taking its toll. Maybe it's time for me to go out and try other things.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

I ave a similar problem. Whenever I see game I would like to own I just buy it. And then I have too many games I don't play.

Steam takes most of the blame for creating this bad habit. Midweek/Weekend Deals and Holiday sales are just so hard to resist.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By End_Boss

Start a rental plan at your local video store. Yes, they still exist, and they still carry games.