I think Windows Live just screwed me

SuburbanCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SuburbanCowboy

I bought Bulletstorm last night for PC and it forced me to create a Windows/Xbox Live account, even though I have a Games for Windows account. The process was a total pain in the ass, but w/e, it's a one time thing...

Then today I try to play some Dirt 2, a GFW game, and it's forcing me to sign in with my Windows Live account. Once I do this, it no longer sees my saved data and wants me to start the game from scratch. I'm assuming an identical situation will happen with all the other games I own that previously forced me to sign in with GFW.  I don't even know how to sign in with my old GFW account, the only prompt I get when booting a game up now is for Windows Live.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is there any chance I can salvage my saved games? I read somewhere that the saves are tied to accounts, so it's about more than just copying game folders

DaHuntha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DaHuntha

I could use my existing account in Bulletstorm with no problems. Also you can link them up with xbox live accounts.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Shivoa

GfW Live, Windows Live, and xbox Live are all the same account system. One login works for all (well, technically things like an xbox user are a subuser of the Live account from my understanding but that doesn't really matter) so it sounds like you had a Live account (and some games lock the saves to the account) and now you've made a new one. So you need to log into the old one, MS should be able to help you recover your old account if you can't remember the login details.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

It didn't force you to make a new account. It's the same account for all games. Both GFWL and Xbox Live.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By crusader8463

Looks like you linked it to the wrong account. Think you are fucked, but you could always try rolling the dice and seeing if their support will do something for a change.

SuburbanCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SuburbanCowboy

The games I used to log into with GFW only required a screen name, these Windows Live login prompts require an email. I see no way of logging in with my old screen name. 

I dont even see a way to log into any of this gfw/live shit with just a screen name anymore.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By mike

@SuburbanCowboy: There are also local profiles - I'm pretty sure that is what you were using before. During the signup process for GFWL, if you scroll down there is a link to create a local profile. Once you have a local profile you can use it for any GFWL game.

SuburbanCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuburbanCowboy
@MB said:

@SuburbanCowboy: There are also local profiles - I'm pretty sure that is what you were using before. During the signup process for GFWL, if you scroll down there is a link to create a local profile. Once you have a local profile you can use it for any GFWL game.

Ah, okay that makes sense. Do you know if I'm able to link an old GFW local profile to a new Xbox Live profile? Having trouble finding the option on the Live login screen
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By mike

@SuburbanCowboy: I have no idea. I'm not even sure if you can link them.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By droop

I have a wierd problem with Games for Windows Marketplace. It won't let me log in at all, just keeps saying password or profile is wrong even though it works on all other Windows Live services .. Wanted to get the Monte Carlo tracks for Dirt 3 :(