I want to photoshop pictures to look like the style of games!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

So I have a 4 day weekend, no classes on Fridays, and Monday off, so I've been shopping a lot. So, I'm looking to take pictures, preferably of most environments (streets, forests, etc) and make them look like they are from a certain game! I'll do think like mess with lighting (For example, with portal, I'd make shadows all over the place), materials and surfaces (For example, with Portal, I'd make walls look like various wall materials with portals), Post processing (For example, with Crysis 2, I'd use color separation, imitate the bloom style, etc), and probably add a few elements from the game, maybe a character or vehicle. So, suggest a game, and any that are popular will be given a shot. I can't say they will turn out super well, I'm not massively skilled or anything, but hey, it'll be fun. Feel free to also give images you want in a certain style! I'll update this post with a couple of shots, just pick one, indicate it by number, and link me to the game's page. Try to pick games with interesting looks or feels, either in the way they are rendered, or the design, but don't go crazy with whatever that bizarre bible Japanese game is or whatever. PoP doesn't really count, because that game just had a watercolor effect over top. So don't ask for it.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By h0lgr

How is this a discussion? If you have something, post it

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

You post a suggestion, I work on it, and it all encourages discussion of the way games add "fancy" effects to increase realism but in reality, many of them (like bloom) don't add any realism at all.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By PillClinton
Gal Gun.   

But in all seriousness, this is a cool idea.  I'd participate, but unfortunately have no photo editing skills whatsoever. 
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fripplebubby
@h0lgr: Try reading the whole post next time.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Can I say Zelda: Wind Waker? Or is that a little too off?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
@nintendoeats said:
Another World
Oh yeah, thats one. 

Oh sorry, I thought this was the thread I just made.
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@TaliciaDragonsong: Nah, WIndwaker I can do. 
@nintendoeats: I've been trying to do this, but it's a really crazy looking game. If I don't get anything decent, I'll just put up the shit I've got even if it's awful.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By EVO

This is not what I expected.  

I thought you were gonna take a picture of, say, a dude walking down the street, slap a HUD on top and BAM! Real life GTA.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By nintendoeats
@MordeaniisChaos: I thought it might be tricky. The technical wizardry that went into making that game was kinda crazy (it's kind of a rudimentary 3D system built on polygons). On the other hand, it WAS done by one guy in his parent's attic.
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BestUsernameEver

You should have posted this thread after you did the pics. This just leaves us with an idea of what your doing..... 

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@BestUsernameEver: The point is for you to give me ideas! And I'm about to post my first picture, nearly finished, before I run off to class for the evening. I'll get to work on another pretty soon.  
@EVO
: Nope! Although if the perspective of the picture is right I would probably have a version with the HUD including viewmodels/the player character. 
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@TaliciaDragonsong: Here you go! It's nto finished just yet, I need to decide what to do with the buildings (I was thinking of making them wooden, or more likely making them into cliffs, but who knows. The sky still needs to be properly done, I just did that real quick to show the progress and an idea of what it';ll look like in a more finished state. 

The original.
The original.
Obviously the edited version. 
Obviously the edited version. 
CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By CountMacula

Okami? Or does that fall too much into the PoP realm of a simple filter?

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Can I say Zelda: Wind Waker? Or is that a little too off?

I would say that fits. 
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm

I think it would be much easier to look at a specific style and try to imitate it with every project. Taking suggestions from the community is going to frustrate you, because the parameters for eac project are so unique, there won't be consistency. I think it will help you get better results, and not bad looking vector + photo-based work that looks kind of awful. 

Also, scenery might not work so well. Why not create some collateral that looks like it cold be from a videogame universe? How about creating billboards you might see in BioShock's rapture, or recruitment posters you might see in Doom's UAC base, or something?

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By RobertOrri

Battlezone!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Bloodgraiv3
Thought so!

@MordeaniisChaos
 Lovely! Simple and effective, like the game's own style!
Looking forward to more!
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@TaliciaDragonsong:  I'm glad I am executing it relatively well. I never played the game and honestly was going entirely off of one video. lol.
@Napalm: None of that is what I'm going for. The point is to give to the community, and extend my range of skills. By taking random suggestions from the community it means I can't prepare or anything, and there is a good chance I'll be challenged to figure out new ways of doing things. Plus, it's fun! And I'm not focusing on SCENERY, but environments. There could easily be subjects besides the scenery, but what I am going for is a wide, open shot with a lot to work with, rather than a profile or a close up of some particular thing. I also suggested that people provide a particular photograph themselves if they are looking for something particular out of it. 

This isn't for a gallery or anything, it's just good old fashioned practice and exercise, plus a smattering of community interaction.  
@Dante87
: I'll look into Okami. There is definitely a style that goes beyond just a filter there, perhaps I should clarify in my original post, but if it's very stylized, look for how the models look to gauge if it's more than just a filter. Okami's geometry is stylized as well (if I remember correctly...) so I might be able to do it. I'll go look up a few shots and get back to you on that.
AOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AOR

I'd love to see a picture of people at a small rave made in the art style used in Limbo.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By newhaap
@MordeaniisChaos: How about a real place made to look like Mirror's Edge? All white with a touch of high contrast colors here and there? 
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Sorry guys, I've been dumped a bunch of work in school, for the last leg of the quarter. I'll see what I can get done, but I may have to put this on the backburner for a week or two. I'll make sure and get back to this asap. 
@AOR
@newhaap: I'll look into some good shots and ideas for both, good ideas!