If Giant Bomb had its own Hall of Fame for Video Games, what games would you induct?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

This came up in my mind. Giant Bomb has been around for more than 7 years. Many game reviews, quick looks, premium features and other content has been posted on the site and have provided us with some amazing memories from 2008 to now. I know that G-Beast and West would probably never actually do this, but if one day Giant Bomb decided to create its own hall of fame for video games they've covered over the years. My real question is, what would be the first class of video games that you would vote into this Hall of Fame? There would be 4-5 inductions of games the crew covered that they either loved and/or have deep ties to Giant Bomb's growth in popularity. 1 induction could be for a retro game or series (prior to 2008) that the crew loves and have consistently shown the title(s) on streams like Unprofessional Fridays and the old TNT's. 1 last induction can be for a game, a series of games or games on a platform that were undeniably awful, but have provided some of the funniest and dumbest moments this site has broadcasted on video.

Here would be my votes for the Giant Bomb Video Game Hall of Fame if such a thing would ever exist. (You can nominate games released from 2008-2015, but I'm leaning towards games released earlier than that).

First Four Inductions:

1. Grand Theft Auto IV: It was Giant Bomb's first ever game to win a "Game of the Year" award in 2008 and got 5 stars from Jeff. It was also prominently shown in Jeff's Giant Bomb Tour guide video that gave users an in depth look at the layout of Giant Bomb's webpage in 2008 and how to access different pages or features on the site back then.
  2. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts: This might be the most Giant Bomb game I can think of, actually. I don't think I've seen a single video game editorial site, or video game website in general, that rivals the crew's intense love and passion for anything BK: Nuts and Bolts. Brad gave this game 5 stars and everyone on the site placed it in their top 10 of 2008 mainly for the freedom it gives the player to create dumb vehicles to solve puzzles and Brad will not hesitate to claim this is the best Rareware game next to Viva Piñata. Even Dan loved Nuts and Bolts long before he joined Giant Bomb (Go to 10:15).
  3. Persona 4: A no-brainer. Many of us have seen Jeff and Vinny's amazing Endurance run as it took them 155 parts to complete this JRPG where you enter a TV, fight shadow versions of your friends, and eventually go to Junes. I've seen forums users all over the web claim that this ER is the best Let's Play series out there. Since then, the guys have gotten plenty of fan mail that is tied to Persona 4 and references have been dropped by Jeff and Vinny once in a while to Persona 4. Since Jeff and Vinny are on two different sides of the continental United States, Jason has taken over as Jeff's Persona 4 buddy playing newer Persona 4 tied releases.
  4. The Beatles: Rock Band: A strange game to nominate into the Hall of Fame at first glance. But if you really think about it, this game really started Giant Bomb's close ties to Harmonix. Back at E3 2009, Jeff interviewed Alex back when he worked with Public Relations at Harmonix, who of course eventually became an editor for GB. That interview also had John Drake, and through these interviews, the site eventually got memorable streams and videos of all kinds. There's no denying the game's quality itself as the review by Ryan Davis (still miss you) gave it 5 stars for paying a grand tribute to The Beatles by letting players play many of the band's classic songs using the Rock Band instruments and microphones. But without this game, we'd probably never have the Pax Royal Rumble or the Giant Bomb VidRhythm Music video.

The Retro Induction:

• Mortal Kombat 2/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3: These two games have been popular on different Giant Bomb streams and Bombcasts. Brad and Jeff have had constant arguments as to whether MK2 (Brad) or UMK3 (Jeff) is the greatest Mortal Kombat game. It has also been heavily featured on Thursday Night Throwdown many times and whenever Mortal Kombat is of discussion on the Bombcast, we'll likely hear about Brad and Jeff gushing over their favorite memories unlocking secrets in both games. And yeah, much of the crew seem to like those games too.

Hall of Shame:

• Robomodo Developed Tony Hawk Games: Now this may seem like a more recent entry with THPS5 being one of the biggest AAA disasters and glitch tests ever. But if you think back, Robomodo's terrible Tony Hawk games have deep ties to Giant Bomb's content. Without Tony Hawk Ride, we'd never have Jeff ride around the world using the TH Ride peripheral (24:49 for the moment)! Without Tony Hawk Shred, we'd never have Hoverboard Vinny Head! Without THPSHD, we... well got a TNT and the game was just average, which makes it the best Robomodo Tony Hawk game by default. But without THPS5, we'd never have Lil Wayne in space!
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pezen

This thread made me think about something, am I the only one with no relation to Toejam and Earl somehow noticing how many times they have mentioned that game in passing? I feel like it could be awarded the "hall of fame of games used as examples when talking about other games" on the podcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Windjammers? Windjammers!

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By NeverGameOver

Mario Party. All of them.

Also, Kerbal.

And Velvet Sundown.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly Premonition immediately comes to mind, since they did an endurance run of that.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Devil240Z

None cause it would be giant bombs job to do so. But I would probably bitch about whatever they did induct.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@devil240z: What if we were talking about Windjammers?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that would be okay I guess.

I'm just not sure what the criteria for hall of fame status is. Is it games that are meaningful to giant bomb or the whole of gaming?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Daveyo520

I am pretty sure that Jeff has said that Tetris is objectively probably the best game of all time. So that would probably make it in.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@facelessvixen said:

Well that would be okay I guess.

I'm just not sure what the criteria for hall of fame status is. Is it games that are meaningful to giant bomb or the whole of gaming?

Games that are meaningful for Giant Bomb.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Load Our Last Souls.

Kerbal Project BEAST.

Sleepy Dogs.

That's it to be honest. I just enjoy watching longer periods of gameplay, but they rarely do that stuff. It's usually all quick dips in and out.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Lee, Burnout: Paradise, Contradiction, Dota 2, Law of the West, Mario Maker, Red Dead Redemption, Tetris Battle Gaiden, Zillion

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

samba de amigo

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Burnout Paradise

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (this was huge on the site at the time)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Witcher 3.

No Caption Provided

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fortune Street has to be on the list. That was easily the best TNT

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Yoshis island for jeffs sake .

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shenmue and nights into dreams because Jeff is a lover of all video games roight? Also bmx xxx.

cindyvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Maker, Mortal Combat 2

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ride to Hell: Retribution

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Amped 3

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Windjammers!!!

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BrainScratch

Just one empty room with a light shinning down to it's middle, where a marble pedestal stays. On top of that marble pedestal lies a single game: Super Mario Maker.

Then you look around and find a secret door, you open that door and get into a really small room with just one game on the floor: Windjammers.

That's how Giant Bomb's Hall of Fame looks like.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 would be in there and Super Mario World and Saints Row The Third

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By Yummylee

Phantasmagoria. Still probably my favourite LP content they've done. Also Bioforge.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Saints Row the Third

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cargo quest for gravity

Velvet Sundown

Windjammers

Contradiction

FaulPern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burnout Paradise just for Jeff and the MGS saga for the staff

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By forteexe21

All of the Burnout. Trackmania 2 Stadium. Razor Callahan's Need for Speed Underground.

ominousbedroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ominousbedroom

Agreed on Persona 4. That's what introduced me to the site in the first place! Maybe Deadly Premonition too, since that LP is also excellent in my book.

Games that have been common on UPF or involved good multiplayer memories, like Windjammers, that one funny game with clay-looking dudes where'd they pushed each other around a wrestling area, train station, act., and the link. Hm... now I lost my train of thought...

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Street Fighter II would be in there I think

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers