I'm coming to PSX for work, what should I see while in San Francisco?

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By hellerphant

Work is sending me across to exhibit our games at PlayStation Experience next week, and while I have been to the US a few times, I've never spent any time in San Francisco. I've got a few days free either side of the show, so wondering if some duders could give me some tips of where to go and what to see.

Alternatively, if any duders want to meet up around the show, I'd be more than happy to do that also! I've got a few media appointments lined up outside of show hours, but I'm sure we can make it work.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, Golden Gate Bridge it is!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

What kind of stuff are you into? Give me a direction and I'll try to help you out, but this city has everything so it's kind of difficult to make recommendations to someone I don't know. Besides all the typical tourist traps, anyway.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Capcom Cup I suppose.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hellerphant

@mike Thanks mate! So basically I've got probably two full days to explore the city, and then 6 evenings to go out when I'm not in meetings and all that jazz. I don't have a car, and I'll be staying at a hotel on Mission Street if that helps.

Video games, tabletop, pop culture, cool bars, good coffee. Would like to do some touristy stuff, but conscious of time and money on those things. I've spent heaps of time in the South, but never been to SF so excited to just see what the city has.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike

If you're staying in the Mission then you could head over to Dolores Park if it's nice one afternoon and hang out, get some ice cream from Bi Rite, or food from any number of good little restaurants around the park. In the Mission, make sure you eat plenty of Mexican food. Get a good Mission burrito from a place like El Farolito.

For bars in and around the Mission especially...there are dozens, if not hundreds. I recommend just looking over bars on Yelp close to your hotel and then walking around. Be careful walking around at night in that neighborhood though, there is a lot of drug activity there. Especially if you get to around 16th-17th & Mission or down around 5th & Market, or up towards the Tenderloin on certain streets. Just keep your head up and keep moving when if any hustlers start yelling stuff out to you and you'll be fine. In some cases only a few blocks separate million dollar homes from open air drug markets. Crime isn't terrible or anything, just be aware of your surroundings is all I'm saying.

For tourist stuff you've already got the Golden Gate bridge. You could combine that with a visit to Fort Point, an historic Civil War era Army Fort that is now a US National Park. It's right under the foot of the San Francisco side of the bridge. I think they're only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. You could also go over to Telegraph Hill and check out Coit Tower and the parrots.

Oh, another food idea that isn't too far from you is SF Streat Food Park at 11th & Harrison. They have a website with a schedule and stuff, but on any given day it is filled with food trucks where you can get all kinds of amazing things to eat for not a lot of money. Some of the best food values in the city can be found here. Burgers, sushi, lobster rolls, there is something for everyone.

If you're into fresh oysters, crab, lobster - head over to Swan Oyster Depot. I've been going to that place for 20 years, and it's been open in the same location for over a hundred years. The best stuff is whatever fresh oysters they happen to have, or if you really want to indulge in something wonderful then go for the Crab Fat. It's a Dungeness Crab's head filled with butter and served with sourdough bread. It's so good you can actually feel yourself getting fatter as you eat it. Lunch counter seating only, it's first come first served and it gets busy fast every day. Cash only too, but there are ATMs nearby if you need one. If you try to go on a Saturday, be prepared to wait. Actually, just be prepared to wait.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hellerphant

Thanks for all the tips @mike! This will be my first time travelling internationally alone (usually have been overseas to visit someone) so it's going to be a different experience. I've definitely heard that the Mission is great for Mexican food, and considering I cannot find good Mexican food here in Melbourne, that's definitely big on my to do list.

Also I need to find a Taco Bell. I got hooked on Mountain Dew Baja Blast in Mississippi, and there are no Taco Bells here which means I haven't had it in years. I bet @danryckert can point me in the right direction of the best Taco Bells.

Should ask the question - is anyone coming to PSX? I'll be working our booth most of the show, but would be cool to meet some folks!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mike

Well you'll be glad to know that Taco Bell still has Baja Blast. There is one in the Mission!

p.s., Taco Bell is garbage.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike Taco Bell is rubbish, but it has the precious Baja Blast. Seriously excited to get some good burritos though, haven't been to the US in 4 years!

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Alcatraz.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

* Alcatraz is an obvious one, but it's well-worth doing. One of the best overall tours I've been to. However, it will likely take up a good portion of the day, so be prepared for that if you're interested.

* I've never been, but one of the weirder things I've had a few people tell me about is the House of Air. Basically an empty warehouse filled side-to-side with trampolines. Sounds pretty badass.

* Could always search out Soda Popinski's and try to beat Tyson in Punch-Out and earn your place on the wall alongside Dan.

* Yelp is your friend. Seriously.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks @jaymii, House of Air sounds amazing. Alcatraz was on my list, but I didn't want to spend most of a day there - is it worth it? If it's worth it, I'll do it. Also, is it expensive?

I also thought about Soda Popinski's, might have to start playing Punch-Out before I leave, haven't played it for years!