I'm missing the "travelogue" content of Giant Bomb

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Let me start off by quickly saying that the E3 content this year was thoroughly stellar, from interviews to press conference feeds to the horrors of that last segment. Fantastic work all-around.

That being said, for a couple of years now I've missed the travelogue-style on-location videos that Giant Bomb used to produce. Daily E3 recaps, trips to game studios and even some of the features shot in the office were some of my favourite stuff on the site. The production by Vinny, Drew and Jason was just so damn impressive and memorable that it's a shame we haven't seen any for a while outside of the Game of the Year content.

Am I the only one who's missing stuff like this, or this, or this? Why is there no more content like this? Is the production time required for them just "not worth it"?

I'd love to hear all your comments on this, thanks.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

They made it sound like they were recording footage of the show floor, so I'm still hoping we'll get some post-E3 show floor coverage (could be wrong about that).

As for the travelogue stuff from further afield, Jeff has been threatening to do a Japan trip for some time now. Fingers crossed he makes a push for it soon (if it did happen I'd guess it'd be around TGS, especially if the rumours about the PS4K coming out this year are true, since it could get announced there).

I'd love for them to do some crazy stuff like going to Iceland for Eve-Con again, but I think Patrick pushed for that to happen before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf05e47a98a2
deactivated-5bf05e47a98a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@bollard said:

They made it sound like they were recording footage of the show floor, so I'm still hoping we'll get some post-E3 show floor coverage (could be wrong about that).

I think they meant the short videos for instagram with that. Obviously I could be wrong or we could be talking about different show floor footage.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I always like this stuff a lot too but it's more work and more expensive to do. I think their current E3 set up is enough for them to worry about. It'd be nice for stuff like the Iceland videos or California Extreme because they do that very well but I understand why they don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Drew and Danny are going to the Austin GP, so we'll probably see some stuff from there.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I also think that most bigger studios and publishers have their own in-house video crew nowadays to handle these sorts of videos, or more likely livestreamed Q&A sessions. Why invite press over when you can easily hire their former colleagues?

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrPlatitude

More stuff like that would be cool, but that is a lot of work and they may have just decided this year to keep their production duders focused on the live show content instead.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I was literally thinking about this earlier when I was exploring an old harddrive and happened upon old travelogue videos. I do miss them to be sure but I also love having their commentary live ontop of live press conferences.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Travelogue: Liverpool is maybe my favorite piece of content this website has every produced, but I've never quite known why. Perhaps it's the nostalgic Ryan factor, maybe it's the dynamic of Ryan and Vinny horsing around in a foreign country. It could be all of that and more. All I know is that whenever I go on vacation now I secretly want to cut a travelogue-style retrospective together in the style of that amazing video.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there's only one answer: THE RAID