I'm playing Sonic again? (Also, 100000GS!)

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SuperWristBands

I'm going to start this off by stating my familiarity with the Sonic series. The first console I remember playing was the Sega Genesis and we only had two games. Sonic the Hedgehog and some top-down-plane-shooter-game. My dad and I would take turns playing and we had a blast. It is a fond memory of mine. I then had a long hiatus from Sonic until Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the GameCube. I have fuzzy memories of this one but I remember playing with a friend and listening to Space Ghost CDs that he had received from his relatives in the US, so that was cool. After that I had played Sonic Heroes, and, again I can't remember to much about that other then that as a 14-year-old I liked it but hadn't completed it's “true end” or whatever.

So, now that you know that, lets talk Sonic Generations, and yeah, I know it's not the new hotness anymore but I want to talk about it anyway. I recently bought it on Steam for $22 (that's like $30 less then on consoles!) because it was on sale and I thought this was the best time (if it goes on a daily deal, well, then... shit). Took forever to download because I had my Steam download settings messed up, but 10 hours later I was playing Sonic for the first time in... hmm... 7 years? We'll say 7 years. This game is great. The 2D Sonic levels are, as you might expect them to be, frantic, fast and fun. The game is so full of colour that it makes me love just looking around and absorbing all of it and it makes all the levels look so beautiful. It's weird, I know, but I don't have much to say about 2D Sonic. It's great and has a lot of the stuff I remember, including that scary-ass music when you are about to drown that still manages to make me way to tense to this day.

Now for 3D Sonic!

The 3D Sonic levels are pretty good too! I've been watching pokecapn's Let's Play of Sonic 2006 over the last couple months so I know how awful 3D Sonic games once were and Sonic Generations is no where near that awful. It's quite playable and often a lot of fun. Where I do have problems though is the unpredictability of the homing and boost attacks. I find the homing attack causes problems 50% of the time I use it. It causes me to die by sending me off an edge when a lock-on appears and then quickly disappears leaving me having missed my homing attack and falling to whatever is below me, and rarely the boost just doesn't give a eff and if I don't hold a direction when using it, it finds the nearest bottomless pit and puts me in it. With that aside it still manages to have that cinematic feel (like the whale in Sonic Adventure) fairly often and the inclusion of the “three lane” thing it has going on and making the available area much more narrow then in the past it makes a much cleaner, faster experience.

And just one last thing I wanna ask you guys: do you play a 2D level, then go to the 3D level and get all messed up because the way of defeating enemies now gets you killed? Like how 2D Sonic jumps on top of an enemy to destroy it but if 3D Sonic touches an enemy without using the homing attack or boost attack he gets hurt. Happens to me a lot but after the first mistake I have it down for the rest of the level.

Also, just to blow my own horn, I recently (just today!) got my 100000th gamer point. It's a fine Christmas Eve today :)

I noticed I was 30 points off and decided to look through my games for some achievements that could get me there. I decided Otomedius Excellent would do and got my last 30 points earlier today. I also got a capture card recently and decided it would be best to record this moment of awesome nerdy-ness.

Warning: This video is probably not work safe (it is Otomedius after all) and is either sexy or awkward or maybe even both. You've been warned!

It's been a long road getting from there to here. I've had a gold account for 4 years now and I have some sort of foolish pride in not playing shitty games (or at least games I have no interest in) for achievements. I ain't got no dirty Avatar achievements and I never will! Hahahaha!

EDIT: Okay, so this was supposed to be a blog. I still have much to learn about creating topics on Giantbomb. I have made a blog before, I just don't know how I did it.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By ssj4raditz

Cheese and crackers, 100k? Nice going.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Wow 100 thousand on the dot. It's like you beat xbox or something.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands
@wolf_blitzer85 said:

Wow 100 thousand on the dot. It's like you beat xbox or something.

Sure feels like it. Now I can never use my profile or else I'd just ruin it.
NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By NegativeCero

Congrats. I will never get there, but I'm okay with that because it will probably save me money and from playing a lot of bad games. Also, maybe make this a blog post next time.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SuperWristBands
@NegativeCero said:

Congrats. I will never get there, but I'm okay with that because it will probably save me money and from playing a lot of bad games. Also, maybe make this a blog post next time.

Thanks and yeah. I thought it would opt me into making a blog when posting to the forums. I have an edit at the bottom. I think I remember how I made a blog now.