Initial thoughts to halfemptyenergytank.com

gamedismantler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Edited By gamedismantler

No one ever reads the first post. But if for some strange reason you have strumbled here and wondering “whats going on?”. This is probably a bad place to start. I’m sure I’ve made some About Me page or something by the time you or anyone else would possibly care. For now here is a story and a rant to go ahead and get this off my chest.

Today is has been my 8th day of being Unemployed. I’ve done the usual race to apply to whatever crap job is available in my area. I’ve even done some real research in my community to grab onto something and possibly be a part of something. But this isn’t helping me with my dream. This isn’t going to help me accomplish anything beyond surviving and god damnit, I’m tired of just surviving. I’ve always wanted to be in the gaming industry in one form or another. Never really been picky about it, but I’ve never really fought for it. I’ve been in talks to be a QA tester for both Rockstar: San Diego and Harmonix (two developers that I fondly follow) and I’ve sent a few really subpar graphics for IGN to use for their Podcast a long time ago. But that about sums my history in the gaming industry.

It’s sad, not because I haven’t gotten anywhere. But because whenever someone has asked me what I’d like to be doing. It’s been something in the Gaming Industry. All the way back to my freshman year in high school (10 years ago) I’ve been talking about doing it. I had always been someone who plays games and I’ve always love it. But it was the Sega Dreamcast that made me a fan. A connoisseur of video games. I subscribed to whatever magazines I could. I went through the whole fanboy phase that most kids go through (and relatively fast since the Dreamcast was so short lived). I decided that this is what I wanted to do and didn’t act on it hardly at all.

The point is, I’m unemployed and receiving unemployment. I have a little wiggle room. My bills will be paid for a little while. There really isn’t any extra money to buy new games, I can’t afford to go back to school and I have a small family (The Girlfriend and I)that needs my support. But I do have a very large backlog of games I need to play that I already own. A very wide range covering all the current and older systems that I’ve barely got a chance to dig into.

You won’t ever find anything up to date here, you won’t see a review of a game that came out recently. But you hopefully will find a collection of opinions and advice on the games I’ve just not gotten to playing yet. By the time that YOU hopefully show up. My writing and critical skills will improve and maybe enough to land me a job somewhere. Somewhere in the gaming industry.

halfemptyenergytank.com
gamedismantler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gamedismantler

No one ever reads the first post. But if for some strange reason you have strumbled here and wondering “whats going on?”. This is probably a bad place to start. I’m sure I’ve made some About Me page or something by the time you or anyone else would possibly care. For now here is a story and a rant to go ahead and get this off my chest.

Today is has been my 8th day of being Unemployed. I’ve done the usual race to apply to whatever crap job is available in my area. I’ve even done some real research in my community to grab onto something and possibly be a part of something. But this isn’t helping me with my dream. This isn’t going to help me accomplish anything beyond surviving and god damnit, I’m tired of just surviving. I’ve always wanted to be in the gaming industry in one form or another. Never really been picky about it, but I’ve never really fought for it. I’ve been in talks to be a QA tester for both Rockstar: San Diego and Harmonix (two developers that I fondly follow) and I’ve sent a few really subpar graphics for IGN to use for their Podcast a long time ago. But that about sums my history in the gaming industry.

It’s sad, not because I haven’t gotten anywhere. But because whenever someone has asked me what I’d like to be doing. It’s been something in the Gaming Industry. All the way back to my freshman year in high school (10 years ago) I’ve been talking about doing it. I had always been someone who plays games and I’ve always love it. But it was the Sega Dreamcast that made me a fan. A connoisseur of video games. I subscribed to whatever magazines I could. I went through the whole fanboy phase that most kids go through (and relatively fast since the Dreamcast was so short lived). I decided that this is what I wanted to do and didn’t act on it hardly at all.

The point is, I’m unemployed and receiving unemployment. I have a little wiggle room. My bills will be paid for a little while. There really isn’t any extra money to buy new games, I can’t afford to go back to school and I have a small family (The Girlfriend and I)that needs my support. But I do have a very large backlog of games I need to play that I already own. A very wide range covering all the current and older systems that I’ve barely got a chance to dig into.

You won’t ever find anything up to date here, you won’t see a review of a game that came out recently. But you hopefully will find a collection of opinions and advice on the games I’ve just not gotten to playing yet. By the time that YOU hopefully show up. My writing and critical skills will improve and maybe enough to land me a job somewhere. Somewhere in the gaming industry.

halfemptyenergytank.com
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By cstrang

You described the combat in Batman: AA as "mashy".  That I cannot forgive.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By time allen

hope you succeed 

gamedismantler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gamedismantler
@cstrang: So far I'm getting a lot of hate on that one. I understand it can be played with out button mashing but it can also be done with out paying attention to what you doing. You won't get a high score but you'll continue through the game. Which kills my motivation to do otherwise (except for the challenges where you need a high score). 
1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By 1337W422102

I really did not like the combat in Arkham Asylum. I'd press attack buttons and the Batman would then stop beating one guy to run across the room to wail on some other dude when I wanted to finish off the first guy.  Sure, it looks badass, but I didn't find it to be that practical.  It reminded me of the half-assed combat system of that Watchmen movie tie-in game.  I enjoyed pretty much everything else Arkham Asylum had to offer, but I'm not a can of that combat system.

gamedismantler, best of luck to you, man!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777
@1337W422102 said:
I really did not like the combat in Arkham Asylum. I'd press attack buttons and the Batman would then stop beating one guy to run across the room to wail on some other dude when I wanted to finish off the first guy.  Sure, it looks badass, but I didn't find it to be that practical.  It reminded me of the half-assed combat system of that Watchmen movie tie-in game.  I enjoyed pretty much everything else Arkham Asylum had to offer, but I'm not a can of that combat system.gamedismantler, best of luck to you, man!
Don't make me hurt you... 
1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 1337W422102
@Enigma777 said:
@1337W422102 said:
I really did not like the combat in Arkham Asylum. I'd press attack buttons and the Batman would then stop beating one guy to run across the room to wail on some other dude when I wanted to finish off the first guy.  Sure, it looks badass, but I didn't find it to be that practical.  It reminded me of the half-assed combat system of that Watchmen movie tie-in game.  I enjoyed pretty much everything else Arkham Asylum had to offer, but I'm not a can of that combat system.gamedismantler, best of luck to you, man!
Don't make me hurt you... 
Try not to run across the room and punch some other guy in the process.
No Caption Provided
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaunassNZ

If only my website was making enough money to even cater for the writers I have already. I would have given you a decent opportunity.

I chose to start the site in hope of having a nice portfolio and maybe get into the biz like you. I then decided that I had put too much effort into the site to let it sit as portfolio, so I searched for writers and overall I think trying to push own website is more rewarding for myself. I have to put in a ton of work to get it flowing, but still worth it. Maybe if I had gotten onto a big site I could of then started my own and it would be more popular from the start, but there would be no guarantee.

Anyway, if we do get anywhere, I'd love to have you aboard.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aetheldod
@gamedismantler:  Bookmarked sucka .... I hope you are happy >:(
Tuddlesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tuddlesworth

What makes you stand out more than the other gamers with the same dream as you? Anyone can make a gamer blog, what else are you doing to achieve your goals?    You're going to have to do more than review video games and posting a sob story if you want to get somewhere.

Sorry if I seem a bit rude, but someone has to tell you.
gamedismantler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gamedismantler
@Tuddlesworth: No it's completely true. Honesty isn't something I take for granted and it's appreciated. As much as I do like being lauded for my efforts the blog does need more. But at the same time the blog is both about games and desire to be in the industry, delivered in a pessimistic and sarcastic way. And while there are only 3 reviews, there are quite a few story post. Including my very large Altered Book resume. But it's also only  a little over a month into the making and I'm looking for my voice. I also have a few articles I'm banging around and trying to polish up. I'll make sure I put them on here as well. Thanks    
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By LeetBalla

The name of the site has way too many syllables.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NegativeCero

Good luck. By the way, how much does someone in the games industry make, since you mention being tired of "just surviving"? Unless I read that wrong.

gamedismantler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gamedismantler
@NegativeCero: No Idea but I'm pretty positive it's more than just above minimum wage. On top of that surviving is ok. I'm not expecting to date super models and live in mansions. I'm just hoping to enjoy waking up and leaving my house in the morning. That kind of deal. 

Just tired of being stuck at a desk where I do less than an hour of work because my job requires so little of me that I can mentally finish everything in that time. 7 Hours of waiting around and talking to people who seem hollow gets hard after a while and thats pretty much my job experience right now beyond hitting rock bottom and working retail or food. More interesting people that way but shitty schedule and even less pay. Looking for best of both worlds with an office job with cool people basically.