Is it worth it to buy a launch Xbox 360 for $20?

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alekss

I have been a PC and PS3 gamer this gen and I never bought an Xbox 360 because there weren't that many games that interested me.

Now however that the generation is at an end there are a few games that I want to play so i found a launch Xbox 360 for $20. I will meet the buyer at his house so I will test it before I buy it and from what I saw in the screenshots it looks in good condition. Everything works fine, just that its very loud. And since its a launch model I asume its very prone to RROD.

Is it worth buying in your opinion? All I want to play on it is Gears of War 2/3/J, Halo 3/Reach/4 and Forza Horizon. I don't plan on buying a gold membership either. I have PSN Plus on PS3, but I think it's too late in the generation to invest too much on Xbox 360.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have mine.

It's really loud. But it's servicable. Invest in a headset if the noise is too much.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For 20 bucks that's a steal, but make sure the console is working.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, as long as it works, i gave mine to a friend and the thing crashes a ton, those early models are unstable at shit and sound like a jet but its worth 20 bucks if it works.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By TheHBK

Shit I would just buy it to have the casing, rip out the guts and put in a mini itx board with a AMD APU in it to make a 360 PC conversion. Hell, that thing even has a DVD drive and USB ports.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Dude it's 20 bucks. Just fucking get it.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude hell yes. It's 20 fucking bucks

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity
kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By kerse

Yeah definitely, I payed 1500% more for mine. There must be something you missed on there that'll be fun, some pretty good JRPG's if you're into that kinda thing, they don't usually come to the pc.

smokingdeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite honestly man, if you tested it out, and it works fine, take that offer. I know it sounds like hogwash, but I STILL have a lauch 360 that's a little beaten up, but still runnin' like a champ. And for 20 bucks....that's a helluva steal.

Maybe work out a deal with him to have some sort of test period to make sure your not getting shafted by a RROD 360. Happened to a friend of mine. Bought a 360 that somebody had on the cheap, went home, played it for a day, and it RROD :l

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure

Molenator85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Molenator85
Loading Video...

The title of this post immediately reminded me of this video.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By monkeyking1969

It might not work, it might break within day or weeks, but if you want one I suppose $20 is not a lot.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you getting a controller with it? If so, sure.

If not...

My launch 360 died years ago. I rarely used it; mostly for Guitar Hero/Rock Band since I prefer my gaming at a desk with a mouse. My 360 lasted long after all my friend's launch-era 360's died, but started acting up.

I'd get graphical glitches; little checkboard patterns here and there. Moments where the screen would go black for a fraction of a second at a time. These issues started to get worse, but would only show up after the system was on for a half-hour or so.

Fortunately, the new 360 with HDMI had just come out. So, I traded it to Gamestop. *innocent whistle*

So, if you're ok knowing your 360 may die soon after getting it, go for it. It's $20. Even if it dies, if it comes with a controller and some games, you could sell those and get your money back. The games you want to play are dirt cheap.

And even if it does die, you can try baking it. Pull the main board out, shove it in the oven to reflow. It could buy you some more time with the 360.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe. But know that it won't last. Whereas the slim models seem to be extremely solid. I haven't heard of really anyone having any sort of issue with the S and E models, though the E is fairly new. I can't see it being any inferior though.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If it doesn't have a hard drive you won't be able to play certain games, just keep that in mind. Otherwise hell yeah $20 is totally worth it (if that person's launch 360 is still alive, then I'm sure he got a good one instead of a lemon).

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#17 gamer_152  Moderator

As long as the console is functioning, it sounds like a great deal.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yeah, assuming it comes with a hard drive and controller. Also be sure you can download all the system updates if it's using the older dashboards. Some games won't work on those. (Older dashboards, that is.)