Is NBA 2K14 the best looking launch game?

knifeoframbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I realize that the omg trailer is a very controlled way to showcase the game, but I think this may be the first time I've truly been blown away by footage from any of the next gen launch titles. What do you think is the best looking launch game?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Some of that Killzone footage looks great, curious how Battlefield looks on final hardware. Need for Speed looks really impressive, too (say what you will about 30 fps).

But NBA has the same wow factor as Fight Night did in the early 360 days.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mosespippy

It might be because I haven't played a soccer game since FIFA 2001 but I'd pick up FIFA 14 if I was getting anything at launch.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bigjeffrey

Killzone Shadown Fall and RYSE (single player) look pretty good.

here is a ryse gif, dont know where to find a that one shadow fall gif.

No Caption Provided

Some dude Talking

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By TheHBK

Yeah, I think Ryse looks incredible. That looks next gen to me. The animations and stuff. The detail in the character models and armor. Nothing looks like it. Other games seem like good improvements but that definitely looks next gen. Of course we will have to wait to see the real thing. Forza looks good, but car games always do. Killzone, I was not that impressed by it, they seemed to go for more vibrant colors but it didn't seem like that big of an improvement.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine how games will look in 5 years.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Darji

@bigjeffrey: here

But NBA looks really really good. So far the best looking gmes shown so far not launch games are Infamous and the Order for me.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Yup, Infamous looks realllyy good, all those particle effects. Games will just continue to look better post launch.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Yup, Infamous looks realllyy good, all those particle effects. Games will just continue to look better post launch.

Yeah I can not wait until we will see the big guns from Naughty Dog and Santa Monica it will be insane.

knifeoframbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

But NBA has the same wow factor as Fight Night did in the early 360 days.

Just what I was thinking, seems its always a sports or racing game that looks great on a new console. Killzone and Ryse do look phenomenal too though

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

NBA 2K definitely shocked me the most but it's probably because I'm a basketball junkie who was amazed to see how realistically ugly they made the Unibrow look and how luscious Harden's perpetual playoff beard was. Seeing reality on screen was a little jarring after so many years of not-quite-right models.

That said, if I were a gambling man I'd say Killzone and Ryse are the real breadwinners.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's alright. I think Knack and Dead Rising also look better.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

It looks good. I'm most excited to see what games will look like several years from now.

jasbir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Killzone look very nice.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Not enough Voxel talk in this thread.

Loading Video...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By veektarius

@bigjeffrey: Do you think we've bridged the uncanny valley with stuff like this?

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Oh man. I think this stuff looks really great, but I have been gaming only on consoles and a 4 year old Mac. I'm really excited to blast this stuff into my eyeballs from a 50" TV.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Darji

@veektarius said:

@bigjeffrey: Do you think we've bridged the uncanny valley with stuff like this?

It all depends on the game itself i would say but we are getting really close

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@darji: Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both games look fantastic but I guess if we're talking about best overall, nothing touches Ryse, imo. It's just on a different level. And not just in graphics, but animations and full body motion capture, voice acting, etc. At times it really does look like a movie.

No Caption Provided

And other times like CG.

No Caption Provided

So does 2k14 at times when in motion, especially The Beard:

No Caption Provided

But at other times it looks more videogamey...

No Caption Provided

Moreso in stills comparisons:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Ryse still maintains that look:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

NBA2k14 has crowds and nice sweat in its favor as far as technical achievement, but Ryse has a larger amount of highly detailed characters on screen and draw distance without LOD and lighting.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Another thing is we know Ryse doesn't use LOD and uses the same models in gameplay too. We've yet to see NBA2k14 gameplay.

No Caption Provided

Perhaps something closer to this.

No Caption Provided

Either way, if you're a graphics enthusiast, can't go wrong with either one based on what we've seen so far. But I think Ryse easily takes the crown.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexglass: As for facial expressions and animations I have so far nothing seen better than the cutscenes in the Last of Us. These facial expressions especiallly in some scenes are really looking the most realistic. I can not wait till we see the big hitters in 1 or 2 years from now. It will blow peoples mind^^

Also do not forget Killzone: Shadowfall: And this is an old build

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlexGlass
@darji said:

@alexglass: As for facial expressions and animations I have so far nothing seen better than the cutscenes in the Last of Us. These facial expressions especiallly in some scenes are really looking the most realistic. I can not wait till we see the big hitters in 1 or 2 years from now. It will blow peoples mind^^

Also do not forget Killzone: Shadowfall: And this is an old build

TLOUS looks great at times, but I don't think they're even close, and a lot of times it still looks very much robotic and gamey. You have't seen anything better than this?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Really? Look closer then. And Ryse isn't great in just facial but full body animations.

No Caption Provided

Everything just looks as it should. Very natural.

KZ looks great too, but it uses a lot of LOD levels, and the low detail LOD models, especially for objects like trees and buildings, are pretty evident at times further away from the camera. Something I have not seen in any Ryse videos or screens. It maintains a consistent level of detail in both characters and objects out to the horizon. KZ has some nice lighting and particle effects though and uses very crisp textures up close. Those explosions are nice.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexglass: I said sometimes. For example this scene.

Loading Video...

And there are always times when animations look of for example take the fat guy in Ryse. The way how his face moves is just unnatural. But the worst thing in Ryse are the combat animations. The cutscenes are of course great:

But these transitions look really bad. But again these are just launch games. Wait till the real heavy hitters can be shown.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlexGlass

@darji said:

Yeah, a cheek jiggle is out of place. ;)

And that's multiplayer which as I understand is outsourced and more of a tacked on mode. Crytek is only doing the single player. Although I hear that's been upgraded too since. We haven't seen that in the latest build. That's also still using the old shading model as well as lighting. Notice the dark shadows which have since been softened up.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having recently played through The Last Of Us and now on Beyond, next gen graphics have something to prove as I've yet to see anything as good as some scenes from those two games.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By bkbroiler

@darji: That scene is prerendered. It looks amazing but it doesn't match up with how the gameplay looks. I do love that shot of Ellie watching the buildings outside her window, though.

Based on these GIFS, I think Ryse looks the best. NBA 2K looks good but the players still look funky. Their animations are stiff and their cheeks are really chubby and goofy looking.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: That scene is prerendered. It looks amazing but it doesn't match up with how the gameplay looks. I do love that shot of Ellie watching the buildings outside her window, though.

Based on these GIFS, I think Ryse looks the best. NBA 2K looks good but the players still look funky. Their animations are stiff and their cheeks are really chubby and goofy looking.

So are the scenes in Ryse. Animation wise it so far looks really not that good during game play not counting these slow mo take downs. NBA does a much better job at animations but lets wait till we see the final product also I think it is way easier to animate sport games than stuff like this^^