Is PS3 worth buying for someone who never had one after introduction of PS Now?

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By roboculus92

Poll Is PS3 worth buying for someone who never had one after introduction of PS Now? (50 votes)

yes 78%
no 22%

After hearing about this Playstation Now stuff, I'm curious to hear what the GB community's opinions are on whether or not a PS3 would be worth buying for someone who never got a PS3, or if you think it would be a better idea to just get a PS4 or a vita and just use PS Now? Granted, there are still a number of unknowns regarding PS Now (pricing, what games will be available, how reliable will it be). Perhaps you could shed some opinions on what PS Now would have to be to make it worth it. Me personally, I recently bought a PS3 like a month ago and I don't regret it because I'm interested in a number of exclusives that I don't think are likely to be on PS Now (such as the Yakuza games and Valkyria Chronicles) and of course Ps Plus is still pretty great on PS3. I'll probably get a PS4 in a couple of years but in the mean time, my PS3 has been serving me quite well.

• 
roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By roboculus92

Oh whoops, I accidentally put this in the General forum. I'm not sure how to move this to the PS3 forum so if someone could tell me how to or move it for me, that would be great. Sorry, I haven't made many topics before so I'm still pretty new to this.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand how anyone could have made it through this generation without picking up a PS3.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By GaspoweR

@roboculus92: Kinda difficult to say at the moment since we don't know how well the PS Now service is going to be especially since it's a service that is entirely dependent on your internet connection. So I wouldn't say yes or no either way but rather just wait it out and hopefully you'll be able to make a decision whether to just get a PS4 and try out PS Now with your Plus subscription.

@xalienxgreyx said:

I don't understand how anyone could have made it through this generation without picking up a PS3.

I did.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@gaspower said:

@xalienxgreyx said:

I did.

I did, too. Sort of. I have a PS3, but I got it after the release of the PS4, so it still counts.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

Yes.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would wait until Now actually comes out and see what it's like, but the PS3 is a great system regardless. And @xalienxgreyx it's totally not as hard as you think. I've had one since 2008 but I went almost two years without playing it once.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I'm planning on getting one next year for a few catch-ups.

Also, PC gamer. It makes life easy, generally speaking.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By probablytuna

For me it would be a yes because my internet is well below the recommended speed for PS Now.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Strife777

Edit: I actually read your whole post this time (sorry :/) so I don't know if that actually answered the question. I think the PS3 is worth getting, since we still don't know what the pricing for that service will be, and how good it will be, both in terms of picture quality and lag. If you're on the fence, I'd just wait for proper opinions when the beta is out. Who knows, there might be a PS3 price drop announced at E3 as well.

I think it's worth it with or without Playstation Now. But I think it's more worth it with a PS4, since you get 3 consoles worth of back catalogue in addition to a better console and the games that come along with it. But obviously, it's twice the price of the PS3, so if you're not interested in the PS4's offering for the moment, it might make more sense to take a step down.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Yes, because there is no guarantee that the streaming service will be able to provide an experience equivalent to the physical console.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I wouldn't buy a console for a service that A) May only be available in certain regions for latency issues, B) Has no price structure announced, C) Is experimental and yet to prove itself, D) Has no set release date and could be a year off, E) We have no idea what the library is .... I could go on.

I'm in a country with shit internet so it has no bearing on me at all. I'd say buy a PS3 for the games that it already has that are amazing... but not for an unproven service that may not be all you're hoping it will be.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Playstation 3 is the best system of last generation. For how much you can pick one up at this point, I would definatly go ahead an get one. There are some fucking fantastic games you're missing out on.

dionysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd wait and see how well the service actually works and what the pricing structure and game availability is going to be before deciding one way or the other.

For my part, I'm hoping the service works well for recent PS3 games since I much prefer the DualShock 4 and ideally this will allow me to pick up some of this years PS3 exclusives that I'd like to try without having to buy a new PS3.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Corvak

Tentatively voting yes.

- We don't know what kind of library Now will get.

- We don't know what Now will cost.

- The price of many popular PS3 games is dropping, owning physical media could be cheaper in the long run if you have discerning taste and don't want hundreds of games.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bit premature to be judging this kind of thing without knowing pricing. Not much to discuss here.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DonPixel

@xalienxgreyx said:

used mine to play uncharted 2 and that's it, dat awful controll

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

The PS3 still hasn't had its price cut, has it?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well considering they are only said usa first in the summer i imagine eu,aus wiil 2015 or beyond so i say yes

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some really good games in the PS3 library that most game enthusiasts would want to play, I think.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@xalienxgreyx: good taste pretty much

I'd rather have something that tastes bad than starve to death.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Who knows? Assuming you exceed the 5 Mbps minimum speed. we would need to find out more details on the subscription and rental plans they mentioned.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanna play ps3 games with your children 15 years down the road? Better get a ps3 with physical game copies for that. Even if ps now would work fine and be cheap - which we don't know - there is no guarantee it will stick around. Just look at games for windows live or ironically the playsforsure audio files. Companies love streaming because they keep in control of the content. Therefore I tend to avoid it as best as I can.