Is the 3DS(XL) touch screen rougher than DS Lite's?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By BBAlpert

I got a 3S XL for Christmas, and I'm loving it so far, except that it feels like the screen isn't nearly as slick/smooth as the touchscreen on my DS. Although not as much of an issue with the provided 3DS stylus (as opposed to a 3rd party DS stylus), the stylus tip seems to drag across the touch screen instead of sliding across the surface smoothly. It almost feels like it's scraping into the screen. I haven't noticed any marks or noticeable damage, but the potential is a concern.

Is this a common thing with the 3DS (XL or otherwise)? And if so, is it something that you either get used to or that goes away (like if the friction was caused by some kind of coating that protects it during shipping)?

Vel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Vel

Truth be told, I noticed something similar on my 3DS XL. I have an original 3DS for comparison and the touch screen feels rougher and less responsive on the XL, and whenever I do any swiping motion (such as panning in a room in VLR) I find myself constantly checking whether or not I have scratched the screen.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BBAlpert

That's a little worrisome. But I suppose it might make sense, if my assumption about how the touchscreen works is at all true (that the original and XL have the same dimensions for their grids of pressure sensitive doodads, but the components are spaced further apart from each other to fit the bigger screen on the XL).

I'm wondering if maybe getting one of those screen protectors would help. At the very least it would put my mind at ease (relatively speaking) as far as screen damage goes.

rabbithearted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rabbithearted

I also got a 3DS XL for Christmas, and I can't say I noticed this--and I use a 3rd party stylus (the normal one is too tiny).

Of course, my DS Lite is also something like six years old and has been having responsiveness issues for the past year or so--I suppose this might affect my views a bit.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

If I had to guess, it's sort of like teeth that just came in vs your adult teeth having been there for years: they start out ridged and bet worn down to be smooth over time. I'd guess that the DS Lite feels smoother because the texture was worn down over time, and you're just used to that. Either way, don't worry about it. You're just feeling a screen with a different texture. If you rubbed a stylus on my screen, it'd feel different than a glossy screen, but they'd both stand up just as well. If there isn't some sharp something on the stylus, don't worry about it. You should be fine.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BBAlpert

One difference I noticed between the 3rd party stylus that drags a lot and the default stylus that drags less (but still a little bit) was that the 3rd party one came to a much finer point at the end. So I kind of extrapolated off of the fact that "sharp point bad, kind of rounded tip, a little better" to take a 3/8 inch wooden dowel that was sitting around my desk for some unknown reason, file the tip to a smooth, round nub, and use that instead.

So far it's working fabulously.