Avatar image for nifflemuvpa7quab
NiffleMuvpa7Quab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NiffleMuvpa7Quab

So I just saw the movie a few days ago, and I just figured I'd let you all know it's definately a must see.  The 3d effects were amazing, but it actually has a great storyline all in all. I know theres probably already a forum about the movie, but I just thought I'd give you my opinion and say, yes, go see it.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

I'll just add that if 3D movies don't interest you... just pass on this movie.  The big appeal for Avatar is it's utilization of 3D movie effects.

As for the story, I swear that it is just Pocahontas from John Smith's perspective.  I need to re-watch that Disney movie to confirm it.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By handlas

Are there theaters that utilize 3D better than others?  

Because Avatar was my first 3D movie and I could not tell it was in 3D at all except for random times when it decided to put a piece of a plant super close to the frame or something.  I mean, the trailers looked more 3D than anything in Avatar.  Now, that doesn't mean the movie was bad, I just didn't understand the big deal about the 3D.  (the movie was pretty good btw, in my opinion, nothing spectacular...great CGI stuff tho)

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By habster3

Nice "avatar" btw. Spacesuit Sackboy is awesome! Yeah, it was good, I guess.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By The_Philosopher

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. I think this is because I had to watch a pirated version since I would have to get on a plane to get to my nearest theater. However the action was really cool, I can only imagine how awesome it was in 3D. Also the story wasn't anything special and my favorite character was the evil general guy, by far. I don't think this movie has anything on Moon or District 9. 

i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By i69edUrGpa

I saw the non 3D version and still thought it was amazing...something that has to be seen on blu-ray

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Andorski
@handlas: I think the 3D in Avatar is exactly the same no matter where you watch it.  I saw the film twice, and both times I was given those Dolby 3D glasses to watch the film.  I guess a lot of the tech that goes into making the 3D in that movie is in those lenses.
handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By handlas
@Andorski said:
" @handlas: I think the 3D in Avatar is exactly the same no matter where you watch it.  I saw the film twice, and both times I was given those Dolby 3D glasses to watch the film.  I guess a lot of the tech that goes into making the 3D in that movie is in those lenses. "
I got the plastic glasses...I dunno what kind they were.  But they worked great for the trailers.  Maybe my eyes just can't do 3D for long periods of time :p.  When I got out of the theater and went to the bathroom my eyes were bloodshot...really bad.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By bacongames

I've heard it as a mix of Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas but in space with blue cat people.  I'm not the kind of guy who needs to go to the movies to be entertained by all the pretty special effects and I'm not a fan of 3D (too intrusive).

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By handlas
@Tuffgong said:

" I've heard it as a mix of Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas but in space with blue cat people.  I'm not the kind of guy who needs to go to the movies to be entertained by all the pretty special effects and I'm not a fan of 3D (too intrusive). "

If we wanna talk even more recent movies....if you saw District 9 you pretty much saw a better version of Avatar.  (dunno if i should say that...might piss people off but I think its true)  Not that they basic plot itself is terribly original.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bacongames
@handlas said:
" @Tuffgong said:

" I've heard it as a mix of Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas but in space with blue cat people.  I'm not the kind of guy who needs to go to the movies to be entertained by all the pretty special effects and I'm not a fan of 3D (too intrusive). "

If we wanna talk even more recent movies....if you saw District 9 you pretty much saw a better version of Avatar.  (dunno if i should say that...might piss people off but I think its true)  Not that they basic plot itself is terribly original. "
Yeah I've suspected there was a ven diagram that overlapped between District 9 and Avatar.
Avatar image for nifflemuvpa7quab
NiffleMuvpa7Quab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NiffleMuvpa7Quab
@handlas:
I've been dying to see that movie. District 9 looks fantastic.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGremp
@handlas said:
" Are there theaters that utilize 3D better than others?    Because Avatar was my first 3D movie and I could not tell it was in 3D at all except for random times when it decided to put a piece of a plant super close to the frame or something.  I mean, the trailers looked more 3D than anything in Avatar.  Now, that doesn't mean the movie was bad, I just didn't understand the big deal about the 3D.  (the movie was pretty good btw, in my opinion, nothing spectacular...great CGI stuff tho) "
The 3D in Avatar is similar to what Pixar does.  It's more of a pop-up book effect than a gimmick of things jumping way out of the screen.  I found it extremely immersing, but that's just my taste.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidSwords

Movie was epic, but having those 3D glasses for 2hrs+ gave me a bad headache.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Shadow
@Andorski said:
" I'll just add that if 3D movies don't interest you... just pass on this movie.  The big appeal for Avatar is it's utilization of 3D movie effects.  As for the story, I swear that it is just Pocahontas from John Smith's perspective.  I need to re-watch that Disney movie to confirm it. "
Could not disagree more.  Even if the movie wasn't in 3D, it would still be my second favorite movie this year.  I still like Inglorious Bastards better, but I really don't understand the misguided hate so many people seem to have for Avatar.  It's a fantastic movie even if you don't consider the fact that it completely revolutionizes 3D film-making.  Seeing as that is the case though, Avatar is a fucking masterpiece.  I guess it's the classic "hate it because it's popular" attitude people take with almost everything these days.  As for the Pocahontas comparison, there are obviously  undeniable similarities between the setting of this movie and the conflict between English pilgrims and Native Americans.  However, can someone please explain why the hell that's a bad thing?  What great movies have had anything even close to that sort of theme?  Pocahontas was really the most recent one and that was made 15 years ago.  Just try to find a recent movie that doesn't tread on a theme another movie used far more recently.  I honestly can't think of a single one.
Amberella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Amberella

I just got done watching Avatar and I absolutely loved every minute of it! =D I didn't watch it in 3D though. It always gives me a headache. xD
Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Reuben

Go watch it in 3D on IMAX, It will blow your mind.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By calidan777

Yep, just got back from seeing it in 3D and it was incredible. Even without the 3D the film is amazing. Great story.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Leptok
@Shadow: 

Because it was a basically paint by the numbers story. 0 surprise or suspense. The 3d effects had more depths than the characters. It was so black and white and simple that there was nothing to do besides revel in the eye candy. It's not a horrible movie, but it's not some sort of masterpiece.

It's basically Dances with Aliens.
AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By AlexB
@Andorski: There are many different (good/not so good) ways to watch Avatar. Speaking as a person who works at a theater that uses actual 3D glasses that are around 30$ a pair, I'd say there is a big difference. I know some theaters use disposables, which is economically viable, but it really rapes you of the experience. If you get a bad pair of glasses (cracked, scratched, etc.) you're not going to enjoy it. Also there are some prints that are in IMAX and some that are in 2D obviously so a viewers experience can vary quite a lot. 

For me personally the 3D absolutely blew me away, and I am a person that seldom is in awe of a movie.
mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mastrbiggy
@Andorski said:
" I'll just add that if 3D movies don't interest you... just pass on this movie.  The big appeal for Avatar is it's utilization of 3D movie effects.  As for the story, I swear that it is just Pocahontas from John Smith's perspective.  I need to re-watch that Disney movie to confirm it. "
Couldn't of said it better.