Kentaro Miura, creator of Berserk, has passed away

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fetchfox

I've been reading the manga since I was in my teens, now half a life ago. This came as quite a blow.

Berserk ran from 1989 untill now. Miuras work was very influential, especially on some games. You'll see many similarities in design, tone and theme in Dark Souls and some Bloodborne.

Miura only got to be 54, all too soon.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By wwfundertaker

Its heartbreaking to hear that he has passed away. Berserk is my all time favourite series.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the the multiple hiatuses, this had to have been known for awhile. Considering how distinct and heavily detailed Miura's artwork is, I do have to wonder if there any plans to have an understudy take up the story. Or find some way to finish the plot.

NoPantsNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NoPantsNinja

Oops. I've posted this in the Anime forum a moment ago. Didn't see this thread yet. I'm going to delete my topic. This is what I wrote:

This is a really sad day. Nearly 20 years ago I stumbled across "Sword of the Berserk" on Dreamcast. The game was not very good, but damn was Guts a cool character. Shortly after I discovered the old Berserk anime, which in turn made me start reading the manga.

Unfortunately Miura never completed Berserk and now it will never be complete.

Berserk was incredibly influential on video games. Many of the Dark Souls enemy designs were directly inspired by Miura's work.

Rest in peace.

Crosswordcook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just doesn't seem fair. But now I guess he can rest, I'm sure he felt a lot of pressure to keep up and improve the quality of his art over the years. A real master of his craft

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started reading Berserk in my early teens too, my poor mom would drive me an hour across town so I could get the next volume from this strip mall kiosk. I haven't read it in a while but I ordered the last 6 I was missing last night after seeing the news, RIP to Miura.

Leopold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The impact and influence of this man’s work can be felt across 3 whole decades. Truly a master of his craft. Not much more I have to say other than RIP and that I will miss anticipating each new chapter Berserk.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Condolences to his family, friends and fans. Berserk was one of my favorite pieces of fiction. Shame it will never be truly finished. RIP Miura. A great loss to every medium his work has ever inspired.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Aw, that's a shame. He was only 54. So young. That's tragic.
He was a very talented artist. RIP

Genji-Gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was talented and inspired so many with his work. The tale of Beserk is my favourite and while it will never truly finish it has been the greatest journey. Rest in peace Master Miura. o7

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is absolutely heartbreaking. Don't know what else to say, his work has had a huge impact on many lives and I'm going to miss it immensely.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Topcyclist

here to pay respects to the great, RIP. Any chance we can get GB or Jeff to try a berserk videogame or review the anime movie. It's short enough and would give him and the fans a perspective on anime that isn't dudes screaming and powering up like most have. Anime can be gritty fantasy like berserk, and mature. Like most media, it has its layers XD.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

As a fan of the Berserk franchise this is sad to hear. His work was very influential and it will have a lasting legacy. May he rest in peace.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Very bummed to hear this yesterday. He was such a talented dude with so much influence throughout media.

Selfishly, I'd like to see the Berserk story get finished, but so much of it was him. I've been collecting those deluxe editions and I'm glad to have all that to appreciate for the rest of time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I only ever watched the show - I tried getting into the manga many times but it's a daunting task. Loved the anime though, it was one of the core shows that made me fall in love with anime right up there with other classics like Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis, Lodoss War Record, Evangelion so on and so forth. That said, 54 is way too young to go, such a shame.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw the anime first, then went back and read the original manga way back in undergrad, more than a decade ago now. Truly an amazing piece of work. It wasn't perfect--I get the feeling if he had to do it again, for instance, he may have skipped the early post-eclipse stuff entirely and just done it straight linear--and at times the whole demon rape aspect went a little over the top for me. But boy, it was well-drawn, especially in the later issues, and some of the characters were amazingly deep. Griffith's psychology, in particular, is just fascinating. I could never quite nail him down, which often seems to be a trait of the best-written characters.

Like countless other people, I selfishly wish that he could have stuck around long enough to provide us with something like an ending to his masterwork. But I guess we'll just have to live with it being incomplete, because it doesn't sound like we're going to a get a Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson situation here.