Looking for Solitary Shooter

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DrBendo

I don't play many military-oriented first-person shooters, e.g., Call of Duty, but I enjoy one from time to time once they're cheap. I'm looking for something with similar mechanics (Left Trigger to aim, Right to shoot) and satisfying gunplay. The hitch is that I don't like having AI companions, and I don't care for set-pieces. The modern crop of shooters I've played interrupt me every few minutes with some diversion or another; I just want to go, alone, from point A to point B and shoot a lot of people in the head at my own pace. I don't like bread crumb objectives, and I don't cotton to AI shooting enemies for whom I have plans. The closest thing that comes to mind is Black, so I'd quite like a newer game that plays similarly.

If anyone knows a decent single-player FPS that just lets you shoot people without stopping to show off distractions or burdening you with companions, I'd appreciate a recommendation. I'm fine with games that give you allies and lets you kill them off at the mission's onset, and the occasional set-piece is fine so long as one doesn't come along every five minutes.

Thanks.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

Rage.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard Reset?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

Stalker?

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrBendo

@Dany:

Rage is too new to get on the cheap. While it is a decent looking shooter, it seems like there's plenty of other shit packed in there. I'm looking for something more like the modern military shooters; no dialogue interactions, no questing, no major navigation - just a very basic, almost generic, focus on shooting people in the head. If Call of Duty would let you kill allies and wasn't stuck so far up its own ass with shitty story and constant set-pieces (i.e., not shooting people in the face), it'd be a perfect fit.

I'm sure there have to have been a few games along these lines that are now less than twenty dollars.

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jtman54179

Console or PC as well?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Deus Ex:HR is pretty solitary and there aren't many "set pieces" type events. But it does have distractions. You don't just kill dudes. Though I suppose you could just kill dudes. Kinda wonder how that game plays out if you kill everyone.

Nevermind, just realized you're trolling.

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrBendo

@jtman54179: @Animasta:

Console - 360 or PS3. Can't believe I forgot to mention that.

I find shooters boring on the PC.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dany

bodycount? bulletstorm?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zombie2011

The Darkness 
Bioshock 2 (i assume you already played the first)

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot

Bulletstorm has AI companions. The Darkness is what i think you're looking for.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By huntad

Try Crysis? Just came out on consoles and I've been playing through it. It definitely feels pretty solitary, but in a good way.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GreggD

Singularity.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Bulletstorm is the game for you friend. If you have the option, play it on PC.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@ryanwho said:

Deus Ex:HR is pretty solitary and there aren't many "set pieces" type events. But it does have distractions. You don't just kill dudes. Though I suppose you could just kill dudes. Kinda wonder how that game plays out if you kill everyone.

Nevermind, just realized you're trolling.

That seems like a sudden assumption. Is what he's asking for that unlikely?

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrBendo

@ryanwho:

You got me. This was all just a rouse to get people to recommend atypical military shooters (You know how people just hate typing game titles.). And here I thought my plot was far too malicious for anyone to suspect. Your idiotic non-sequitor aside, Deus Ex is far from what I'm looking for. I quit enjoyed it, as stealth is increasingly rare, but I don't see how it could be considered similar to the Call of Duty/Medal SomethingOrOther/Battlefield/Black games. It hasn't the single-focused, mindless, leisurely feel I'm in the mood for.

Bulletstorm and The Darkness were both great games, but neither fit this particular bill. Surely there's something in the over-populated military shooter with iron-sights crowd that doesn't break the flow every few minutes with chatter and bullshit. At least one would hope so.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DonPixel

@DrBendo: Metro 2033 if you can play it on PC, Hard Reset and Cryostasis are no waste if you consider price.

o dam yeah, I wasted my advice on a troll

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Slaker117

Hm, wow. I'm actually having a hard time thinking of a game that fits your description. Who knew mindless shooters were so hard to come by? The closest I can think of is Crysis. That just came out on consoles and seems like a game that lets you blow through guys without stopping you every so often to have a chat, but I haven't actually played it, so I don't know.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aetheldod

@DrBendo: Crysis 1 & 2 , Resistance 3 , Half Life 2 (skip episode 1 , as you travel with Alyx all the way , altho she is quite useful and no pushover) Halo Reach or any other Halo ....

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By arch4non

I'd recommend STALKER, I have countless unique stories just from walking from point A to point B doing whatever.

I'm really disappointed by the Quick Look for Call of Pripyat, it was an extremely poor representation of the game. Not only does STALKER look amazing, there are a few mods which bump up the graphics even further. The wilderness AI is also great, there's always stuff happening outside of view, it really breathes life into the world and makes it seem full of content. Amnesia is probably the only other first person game I can think of off the top of my head which is more atmospheric than STALKER.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Schmollian

Honestly the only games I can think of that fit are older ones.

Doom 3 and Unreal (the first one) came to mind.

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DrBendo

@DonPixel:

I'm still a bit lost as to how any halfway intelligent person could conclude that my looking for a suggestion amounts to trolling. Nonetheless, Metro doesn't fit. It's a damned fine game, but it's the sort of game that I prefer to savor and take my time with. I'm currently in the mood for walking into a street that fills with a few dozen Russians/Muslim extremists/PMCs/other villains du jour and killing them off before proceeding to the next batch.

@Slaker117:

You seem to at least get what I'm looking for. I really thought it would be an easy request. So far, most of the suggestions have been pretty off. Stalker, Metro, Darkness, etc. are good games, but I'm just looking for a time-sink. The spate of modern military shooters have nice gameplay, and there are tons of them, so I figured there would be at least one that can fuck-off and let you play without stopping for two minutes of radio conversations, cutscenes, or vehicle sections before letting you get on with the murder.

I'm not paying full price for Crysis, but I have the sequel. It's fun, but it's more suited for stealth given the low enemy count. I suppose I'll have to settle for a replay of Black.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Totally recommend Crysis. I just started playing this on the 360 (my first time playing it at all, in fact) and I can say confidently that it is pretty much exactly what you're asking for. The AI is a little inconsistent at times, but you control the pace of the game in every moment. It can be a methodical stealth shooter or a frantic destruction-based dose of mania. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

Hard Reset is amazing :3

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By tourgen

You want to play Far Cry 2.  Actually you should probably just play Mercenaries 2.  Sounds about your speed.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BisonHero

The more I think about it, the more I figure that what you're asking for doesn't really exist. You ask for "Left Trigger to aim, Right to shoot" controls specifically, but since the dawn of that control style, pretty much all singleplayer campaigns with those controls have had AI companions and/or set-pieces.

All of the games where you just go from Point A to Point B and shoot guys in the head pretty much predate "Left Trigger to aim, Right to shoot". I mean, the original Half-Life and expansions are basically exactly what you're looking for, aside from the controls. And so are most shooters between Wolfenstein 3D and Bioshock, which was just about the last traditional FPS because CoD 4: Modern Warfare came out at around the same time and now nearly everything is "Left Trigger to aim, Right to shoot".