Jim_Efantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jim_Efantis

*LTTP = Late To The Party

In between pirating, world warring, and ranting, I've silently been playing Borderlands 2 on my trusty PlayStation 3, courtesy of the PlayStation Plus service. I've held out on throwing out one of my “quick look” blogs because I wanted to make sure the game held up to the test of time. Can the heavily stylized first person shooter keep game play fresh throughout the journey?

The answer is YES!

It’s no surprise this game won numerous “Game of the Year” awards in 2012. The character design and the leveling experience rival some of the deepest role playing games I've ever played. But if you’re not into that kind of stuff, the combat and looting structure will make you feel like you’re always progressing. That doesn't even touch on some of the insane missions, game play mechanics, and overall feel of the game.

My adventure started with Salvatore, one of the four selectable Vault Hunters (there are additional characters via DLC, but I’m only discussing the original version of the game). Salvatore is a gunzerker, a class which allows him to dual wield weapons for a short time. In theory, this is amazingly awesome… but it didn't match my personal play style. In restarting the game with Axion, the Commando (who uses turrets to assist in combat), I realized just how deep the character selection was. Zer0, the assassin, and Maya, the Siren, all carry unique tools to battle as well. It really is four games in one.

Leveling is a fun and never seems like a chore. Experience points are gathered and spent on skill trees. Each character has three different trees to select from, including passive damage boosts to new, special abilities. I chose to stick to turret damage and deployment time, something I greatly benefited from later on. My turret even had rockets on it, which always helped clear out those rooms of elite enemies. Whatever it couldn't finish, I could.

A deeper dive on the traditional leveling system is your Badass rank. Badass points are gathered from completing assorted challenges throughout the game play. Kill 5 enemies with a MIRV, use the shotgun to kill 25 enemies, or melee 100 characters are just examples of the hundreds of challenges the game offers. Completing a challenge rewards you with a Badass point, which is an independent leveling system from your primary experience. These Badass levels increase overall statistics, such as reloading speed, accuracy, and explosive damage. Best of all, they carry across all of your characters. It’s what the Diablo III paragon system has morphed into, almost assuredly a direct copy of Borderlands 2’s idea.

Of course, the game never takes itself seriously, which is greatly appreciated, as indicated by the turn in dialogue on your first mission. “You just moved five feet and opened a locker. Later, when you’re killing skyscraper-sized monsters with a gun that shoots lightning, you’ll look back at this moment and be like ‘heh.’” Now if that isn't cool, I don’t know what is.

Along your journey, you’ll meet some pretty memorable characters. I don’t want to ruin the fun for any of those who haven’t played it yet (I mean, I can’t be the last one on Earth, can I?), but let me just say that you’ll find it extremely entertaining. My hats off to the team for their incredible work with each character, as the voice acting, character look, and character dialogue are about as quirky and off-color as you can imagine.

But not everything can be midget psychos, bonerfarts, or dook huts (treasure chests). I found in my play through that game difficulty spiked without warning, which did require some unnecessary grinding. Nothing spells buzzkill faster than one-shotting to getting one-shotted in less than fifty feet. I know this game thrives on teamwork and co-play, but for those of us solo players, the challenge can be a little too aggressive. In a complaint I carry over from the original Borderlands hasn't been fixed: the map. It’s practically useless for navigation, as most of the terrain changes aren't properly captured (akin to having a two story map transposed on itself).

These are forgivable offenses, but noticeable ones.

This game is the Saint’s Row to GTA before there was a Saint’s Row. It’s one of the original innovators of nonsense, and despite the silliness, it manages to somehow stay grounded in reality. Handsome Jack is by far one of the meanest (and funniest) villains I've encountered in a long time. His hand-picked league of assassins will thwart you at every turn, but thanks to the insane amount of weapons to be found, can all be dispatched fairly easily. I personally enjoyed the shotguns that were thrown as grenades when reloaded. Because, why not?

For those of you who have already gone through this game when it was released nearly 16 months ago, I think you’re better for it. For those who haven’t gotten to experience just how great of a value PlayStation Plus is, or are curious to try something that’s completely out of the norm, I highly recommend checking out this title. After all, they are still making DLC for it.

Why are you still reading this?

Go!

Go play it now!

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I played trough the game as a Psycho, hated it.

Switched to Mechromancer and the game really clicked and I had a lot of fun.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

While I think it is a bold interpretation to view The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as a review of Borderlands 2, a game 20 years its junior, I'm curious to hear about which parts of that classic SNES game are in fact allusions to Gearbox's second stab at showing us the world of Pandora.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE Borderlands 2. It's honestly one of my favorite games ever. I still have 2 pieces of the DLC to go back to on a rainy day.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must be one of the few people who didn't like this game much at all. I played it at my friend's house will a full party, and I was just bored playing it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: It can get pretty boring in a party, fun solo though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

I adore Borderlands 2, it's just a shame I happened to have got it on the PS3, along with blindly buying the season pass >_>. It's playable, but it's noticeably inferior to the 360 and of course PC version, and some of the DLC packs (or at least the Torque one) have a rather dire framerate.

If I had the GOTY edition of this on a PC that could actually run it at 60+fps, then I'd undoubtedly still be playing it to this day.

Also, user-reviews generally aren't permitted to be posted on the forums, and if you're talking about a specific game, you're supposed to post it in the game's own forum.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

What happens when you take the worst traits in some shooters and wrap them in shallow RPG elements? You get a tedious mess! Great success! What if we make the menus and UI complete garbage too? Awesome!

I really don't get most of the love for this game.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@tobbrobb said:

What happens when you take the worst traits in some shooters and wrap them in shallow RPG elements? You get a tedious mess! Great success! What if we make the menus and UI complete garbage too? Awesome!

I really don't get most of the love for this game.

I think it has a lot to do with the game's atmosphere. It relies heavily on it's dark humor and the over-the-top, crazy, frantic nature in which it handles pretty much everything. That said, I did not enjoy Borderlands 2 either. It had it's fair share of problems in my book, but I enjoyed the first game after I got through the mind-numbingly boring first few hours, but Borderlands 2? I couldn't fucking stand it. Every encounter is just the developers going "THROW FUCKING EVERYTHING AT THE PLAYER ARRRRRRRGH" with no regard towards balance whatsoever. It doesn't just cross the line, it pole vaults over that motherfucker and sprints headfirst into clusterfuck territory.

I understand why people love it and that's all fine and dandy, but it was not my cup of tea.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@babychoochoo: Yeah I had some good fun with the original game as well. It wasn't amazing, but I had fun.

2 was just a mess from the start and never got better.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A friend and I really liked playing through the first game together, so we bought the second game as well and was burned out on it about 10 hours in.

Jim_Efantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a huge subscriber to DLC but would really consider it for this game. The humor is what really made it stand out to me and that's what made me love it as much as I did.

I also really liked the leveling system. Even without new weapons I felt a sense of progression that encouraged me to play more. Always nice to be rewarded. Most of the new weapons were throwaways like Diablo 3 but that's what made the powerful ones all the sweeter!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I have really looked down on some of the stuff with Borderlands 2 as it really does feel like an expansion pack to the first game. I also didn't care for two classes they added. I really hope they do something different with the sequel and change the way powers and loot are handled. That being said I really like BL2 but only cared for it co-op.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragonkeep is some of my favorite DLC I've ever played.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great game agreed tc, and extremely fun with friends in co-op. BL2 ramped up the rpg factors and skill trees especially and the loot is ten times more interesting than the first game. So many fun build/weapon combos to be fooled around with. To be fair, I thought most of the DLC was average art best, you could tell it got farmed. The first one was easily the best. Tiny Tina's is OK but I found the enemy density weirdly inconsistent and fraught with diff spikes. Final bosses in TT were not really much fun either. The Mechromancer was a total hoot to play and lvl, while I just couldn't get into the Psycho at all. Loved the Soldier and Siren the most. Kinda burned out after the lvl 61 add-on and the grind through uber diff to get there, but still played BL2 for over 400 hrs.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I was surprised with how much fun I had at Borderlands 2 considering that the first game completely didn't click with me at all. Somehow that monotonous, grind swathed in variations of grey and brown turned into a really fun colorful experience.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Now for my actual reply: I think both games suffer for their lack of interesting skill choices. It's stupid that almost the entire skill tree is passives. Each class only having one activated ability is boring. I'd much prefer if they would come up with like 3-4 activated abilities for each class to use.

Even then, I'm just not crazy about the world design, though visually I think some of the Vault Hunters have really cool designs. Also it's a pity that the main game keeps on being shitty, while all of the better writing and content tends to be in the DLC. Borderlands 1 main game is kinda terrible, but Dr. Ned's and General Knoxx are much more interesting, and Tiny Tina's DLC is fantastic.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped playing after Torgue's DLC. I probably dumped 200 hours into the game and enjoyed most of it, but Gearbox's choice to tie legendaries to particular bosses instead of just world drops turned the game into a typical mediocre MMO. This problem was made even worse with all the raid bosses and seraph crystal shit, so to enjoy the game you had to either:

1. Play online with others
  2. Exploit glitches with weapons and/or terrain
  3. Be godly awesome

Whenever Borderlands 3 comes out, if they can correct some of those glaring issues, I'd happily jump back into the fray.