MGR:R sales announced (spoiler: it did well)

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516506

So, Metal Gear Rising sold in the region of ~330,000 units in Japan, and charted well in the UK (neither the UK nor US figures have been announced yet).

Those numbers are enormous when viewed in context of sales of other titles in the genre. Recently, DmC topped out at a mere 110,000 units (unfortunately) and Bayonetta, Platinum's highest selling game to-date, only sold 205,000.

Presumably, the increase is attributable to strong branding with the MG franchise. However, considering MGR received a strong critical reception this bodes well for Platinum and any potential sequel to MGR.

I'd struggle to say that it means much with regard to re-igniting interest in a 'dying' genre, given that Japan has always tended to flock to these types of games, but it's good news, regardless.

Feel free to discuss (all figures are PS3 sales only).

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Awesome. Id really like to see them do a proper one of these from the start rather than inheriting a dying project like they did this time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

Awesome. Id really like to see them do a proper one of these from the start rather than inheriting a dying project like they did this time.

Yeah, given proper development time hopefully all the issues with MGR would be ironed out and we'd see a proper 5* product (things like the camera, lack of weapons, pacing issues and environment/design hold Revengeance back from greatness).

Kojima has already said that should they develop a sequel he'd like to help them with the technology side of things, as that's (as far as he's concerned) the only thing holding them back from being a top-tier developer.

Maitimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well deserved, strong sales will hopefully mean Platinum get to follow it up. It's also reassurance that DmC's failure is due to DmC and not as part of a trend of declining sales in the genre.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Good to see a Platinum game selling reasonably well, those guys certainly deserve it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

I wonder how many of those sales rode on the Metal Gear name alone? If Platinum made another MGS spinoff title, would it sell as well?

Not trying to shit on Rising, just curious.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay Platinum

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

<p>That's great news, I always wish well for Platinum</p>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

<p>That's great news, I always wish well for Platinum</p>

I tried editing one word in the OP and the formatting went crazy.

Seems to be fixed now.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Awesome I want to see more of Raiden in more of his own games with preferably longer campaigns.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sounds like good news. I hope this translates to more sales for Bayonetta 2.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've seen a ton of adverts for it on the TV, mostly during shows like Dexter and The Walking Dead, it's always cool to see adverts for games that you wouldn't expect to see. I never saw a single advert for DMC.

It's mostly weird just seeing the Konami Logo this often.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: The bigger obstacle there is getting WiiU's into houses. Glad they had success with MGRR, I'm loving the game but figured it wouldn't do all that well because it seems to me that interest in the MG name fell off and there are so many character action games coming out in the first three months of this year.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nottle

Imagine how good it would be selling if reviewers knew how to look at a watch.

I definitely need to get it soon.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a great game! Now all we need is a grey fox one!

rentacop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad this had to come out during one of my backlog rushes. Guess the bright side is I'll likely end up waiting until it's $20 or so before getting around to picking it up.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how many of those sales rode on the Metal Gear name alone? If Platinum made another MGS spinoff title, would it sell as well?

Not trying to shit on Rising, just curious.

I know that if it weren't a Metal Gear game, I wouldn't have bought it day 1. I usually wait for games to go on sale before I buy them, but Metal Gear is one of the exceptions to the rule.