Mini Battlefield Bad Company 2 review.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

All I see is Battlefield PC elitists say how it is just a dumbed down console port. Maybe the console port part is true but dumbed down? I personally think the game is much more action packed and exciting now. So far there is one map and really just think Karkand from BF2 but in the snow, add a helicopter and destruction. The main gameplay difference for me and what sets it above the rest of the Battlefield series on the PC is the destruction. I mean I can't see myself ever going back to BF2 now or playing a Battlefield game in the future without it. Being able to blow a hole in the wall to expose the enemies who are taking cover in a building is just amazing. It is also an amazing feeling to see the Map be totally destroyed as the game goes on like Company of Heroes. 

There are no planes in this map, only a Helicopter and I think the game is the better for that. The map can be much smaller and action packed and Planes just owned everything in original Battlefield games and made them unfun. Because old Battlefield games had giant maps the infantry fighting suffered, however this map so far has always kept you in the action. That is partly down to the new system where you spawn on your squad mates. This has also improved on team work because I've found myself helping them out more and vice versa. I used to play with friends and constantly have to ask them of their location, squads ended up just being chat rooms because it was hard to play together. Now you spawn on your squad, the gameplay is much tighter between you. 

I also love the feel of the weapons and how bullets slowly dip over distance like in real life. The guns just feel much more satisfying and weighty to shoot compared to the original games. Because you can shoot down buildings too, just feel all that more powerful. Sniper rifles and shooting from a distance has become harder, just because you have to account for that long range dip.  

Overall I feel like this is the definitive version of Battlefield to play but I do have some gripes, most of which I hope are fixed in the beta. 

• The Server Browser is horrible, it is slow and always wants to refresh if you switch tab, which takes ages. There's no server queue to join a full game, so you have to keep on trying which is annoying. You can't sort the list too which is annoying, I want to sort it via ping or number of players but it wont let me. There is also no filter via ping or region which is annoying.
  • No pings showed in game.
  • Performance of the game seems very poor for dual core users especially, I really hope they can fix that seeing as Steam survey shows 56% of people own dual core and only 18% own a quad.
  • The unlocks makes no sense to me, like I can't see what I can unlock in the future and I wonder when I'll get smoke grenades which I really wish were standard. I might be wrong here but I just wish they made the interface better.
  • There are no Pre set voice commands so like it is very hard to communicate with your team mates asking for AMMO or a Medic etc etc. Also it is hard to see which class people are playing, making it annoying if you want to find a medic or you need ammo.

I'm loving Bad Company 2 so far because the atmosphere of the game and action is immense. When you're beside two friendly tanks and repairing them while they fire at the enemy. You see all the smoke and snow effects which just makes the viewing distance very short. You get all the amazing sound effects as explosions go off near by and your sound goes muffled like you're going deaf. Just explosions everywhere and buildings being destroyed, you're always in the action.  

Amazing game, I just hope they can fix the problems I have with it by released and don't mess with the balance too much because the whiners hate being owned. I love how you have to fear vehicles now because they are powerful and take good team work to take them down. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

All I see is Battlefield PC elitists say how it is just a dumbed down console port. Maybe the console port part is true but dumbed down? I personally think the game is much more action packed and exciting now. So far there is one map and really just think Karkand from BF2 but in the snow, add a helicopter and destruction. The main gameplay difference for me and what sets it above the rest of the Battlefield series on the PC is the destruction. I mean I can't see myself ever going back to BF2 now or playing a Battlefield game in the future without it. Being able to blow a hole in the wall to expose the enemies who are taking cover in a building is just amazing. It is also an amazing feeling to see the Map be totally destroyed as the game goes on like Company of Heroes. 

There are no planes in this map, only a Helicopter and I think the game is the better for that. The map can be much smaller and action packed and Planes just owned everything in original Battlefield games and made them unfun. Because old Battlefield games had giant maps the infantry fighting suffered, however this map so far has always kept you in the action. That is partly down to the new system where you spawn on your squad mates. This has also improved on team work because I've found myself helping them out more and vice versa. I used to play with friends and constantly have to ask them of their location, squads ended up just being chat rooms because it was hard to play together. Now you spawn on your squad, the gameplay is much tighter between you. 

I also love the feel of the weapons and how bullets slowly dip over distance like in real life. The guns just feel much more satisfying and weighty to shoot compared to the original games. Because you can shoot down buildings too, just feel all that more powerful. Sniper rifles and shooting from a distance has become harder, just because you have to account for that long range dip.  

Overall I feel like this is the definitive version of Battlefield to play but I do have some gripes, most of which I hope are fixed in the beta. 

• The Server Browser is horrible, it is slow and always wants to refresh if you switch tab, which takes ages. There's no server queue to join a full game, so you have to keep on trying which is annoying. You can't sort the list too which is annoying, I want to sort it via ping or number of players but it wont let me. There is also no filter via ping or region which is annoying.
  • No pings showed in game.
  • Performance of the game seems very poor for dual core users especially, I really hope they can fix that seeing as Steam survey shows 56% of people own dual core and only 18% own a quad.
  • The unlocks makes no sense to me, like I can't see what I can unlock in the future and I wonder when I'll get smoke grenades which I really wish were standard. I might be wrong here but I just wish they made the interface better.
  • There are no Pre set voice commands so like it is very hard to communicate with your team mates asking for AMMO or a Medic etc etc. Also it is hard to see which class people are playing, making it annoying if you want to find a medic or you need ammo.

I'm loving Bad Company 2 so far because the atmosphere of the game and action is immense. When you're beside two friendly tanks and repairing them while they fire at the enemy. You see all the smoke and snow effects which just makes the viewing distance very short. You get all the amazing sound effects as explosions go off near by and your sound goes muffled like you're going deaf. Just explosions everywhere and buildings being destroyed, you're always in the action.  

Amazing game, I just hope they can fix the problems I have with it by released and don't mess with the balance too much because the whiners hate being owned. I love how you have to fear vehicles now because they are powerful and take good team work to take them down. 
ROFLCOPTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ROFLCOPTER

Cool.

Hyco24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Hyco24

I am not trying say that you are wrong or to flame your review.

As I agree with some of your points I also am in the Beta and I must say that since you posted this on 1/30/10 as of yesterday the server browser has been working for me and all my friends since that is the only way we can all get into the same game for now, works for us.

The not showing of pings in game is minute, since it is server based when you join a game through the browser you can see what the latency is. If you play on a server closer to you there really isn't  going to be any changes in ping.

I for one am glade to be one of the said 18% that have quads cause it runs awesome on a quad compared to a duel, to the fact that my friends want to upgrade their systems now. I do think that they can optimize it but I love all the destruction so hope they don;t nurf that so that the 56% of duel users are happy. ( I know I am being selfish)

Actually you can see all the unlocks if you go to your weapons page under the multiplayer tab. It shows your stats and what you have unlocked and what can be unlocked how it is unlocked and what each does,

Although there are no commands for asking for ammo or health if you have a mic you can use in game chat (it is push to talk). Plus the characters will start screaming their heads off when they run out of ammo or whatever. Knowing who needs ammo or medical attention is easy to decipher if you are an assault, medic, or engineer class as it shows little icons above your team mates heads as to what they need.   Also in the bottom left corner of the screen just to the right of the mini map and to the left of your squads names it will show an icon as to what classes they are, (i.e., a sniper will show a cross hair, an engineer will show a wrench....etc.).

Some of the stuff I hope that they fix is the crashing. Since my friends are crashing a lot, there are also known issues with ATI drivers and this particular game that causes the display driver to stop responding. I have gotten that issue one time and I am using a nvidia gtx 285, but I got the latest beta drivers off nvidia's site and hasn't happened since, so I hope ATI can come out with a new driver of some sorts to help it so my friends and anyone else that has this problem can stay and play multiple games with me without crashing. 

I would also like the darn friends list to work, it is more an inconvenience more than anything, When we  have to get everyone in sync and trying to get all of us into the same server.  

Sorry for the 2nd mini review didn't mean to take over at all this is just my thoughts on the awesomeness of BC2.

Thanks,
Hyco