mmo should take note on Darksiders

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

western mmo should take note on Darksiders melee sound effect.

cause current mmo like

World of Warcraft - Warhammer Online - Chronicles of Spellborn - Guild Wars - Vanguard - Lord of the Rings Online ect..

....has unsatisfying melee sound effect. it is not hard and powerful, not hard hitting. it sound weak and you cannot feel the impact. Darksiders though may be art style like WoW but it wont copy WoW's poor melee sound effect.

why cant western mmo have nice melee sound effect like all others across the globe? prince of persia for ps2/xbox have cheap butt melee sound effect now their next gen ps3/360 have kickass sound effect. much props to them for improving.

console will always be superior?

nice melee sound effect:
- Darksiders
- Devil May Cry
- Ninja Gaiden
- Bayonetta
- Omnimusha
- Shadow of Rome
- Tekken
- Demon Souls
- Blade and Soul
- Mabinogi heroes
- Lineage 2
- Resident Evil 5
- Venetica
- Beowulf the Game
- Uncharted 2
- Prince of Persia ps3/360

and much more
.. overall 99% of all console games have nice melee sound. mmo is just suck at melee sound or something? especially western mmo?

i used to think that only asian games have nice melee sound effect but western console games have nice one too! its just western pc mmo that love weak melee sound effect.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DanielJW

I love good sound effect. Games with good melee sound effect are much better for it! Western developers need to take notice on how to make good melee sound effect! 

I agree with your good post!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

woah you put a lot of thought into this thread.

Mount and Blade has some ridiculously satisfying sound effects too.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ
@TheHT said:
" woah you put a lot of thought into this thread.  Mount and Blade has some ridiculously satisfying sound effects too. "
ill check on that and confirm it.

btw oblivion got nice melee sound effect too. many more jus cant name them all but you people get the idea. mmo suck at melee sound effect.
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Pepsiman

MMOs and action games are designed to provide different senses of satisfaction, though. The reason why the sound design works so well in those action games you listed is because those sounds are meant to help make the game feel visceral and exhilarating and make it feel like you're really a part of the action. MMO combat tends to work significantly differently and has other sorts of goals in mind, so while it might not hurt to up the quality of the sound design, I have my doubt that outright emulating the styles of action games would noticeably improve things, if at all. Different parts of a game compliment different games differently is what I'm driving at, more or less.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

@ mount and blade.....

i just check it  by this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfRFMRVF8Z4

well if you close your eyes and just use your ears to listen to the sound..... yes it does sound satisfying. however what missing is they need to make impact animation and animation that can make you feel it on vision. know im saying? the attack animation is too plain and theres no sensful vision to pair with the nice sound.

its like you just hit and no vision of sense and vision of damage know im saying? and yes sound is satisfying... they just need vision to go with it.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

WoW makes me feel like a pussy. 

Ok, well not THAT extreme. I agree with your idea, but I'm not sure if I want the same in my face sound effect for 1,000 hours. The more "in your face" something is, to me at least, makes it more vulnerable to being repetitive. This is probably why a lot of areas in WoW have subtle, or no music at all. This is because you spend many hours in a particular area.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Cerza

MMO's need to get the feel of combat down before they work on sound effects. Too many MMO's have jerky, janky, unnatural combat. Games like LOTRO and Fallen Earth have combat animations that look like a plastic figure being manipulated by some unseen child. What I always liked about WoW was how fluid and smooth the combat was. Not many other Eastern or Western MMO's have had combat as smooth as that. However, before MMO's even think of fixing their combat what they really need to do is work on implementing some innovation and new ideas. Ever since WoW came out the MMO genre has seen little to no innovation and has become quite stagnant. 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rowr

I hate everyone with a solid snake, master chief or mario avatar.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ
@Pepsiman said:
" MMOs and action games are designed to provide different senses of satisfaction, though. The reason why the sound design works so well in those action games you listed is because those sounds are meant to help make the game feel visceral and exhilarating and make it feel like you're really a part of the action. MMO combat tends to work significantly differently and has other sorts of goals in mind, so while it might not hurt to up the quality of the sound design, I have my doubt that outright emulating the styles of action games would noticeably improve things, if at all. Different parts of a game compliment different games differently is what I'm driving at, more or less. "
well to me i judge every game on sound effect. if it suck, i dont be near it. weather it be mmo, action games, fps, tps ect.... if melee sound effect suck, i dont play. sound effect is part of the important aspect of a game. if grind quest by killing mindless mobs multiple time brainlessly..... i want the sound to be satisfying. hard hitting feel with impact.

if people think lineage 2 melee sound is too exaggerated then Shadow of Rome is perfect for you. its not too exaggerated yet its satisfying.

and everquest 2 melee sound dont even sync with impact. the sound just pop up randomly wehather your blade touch the target or not. beowulf the game when you punch with bare fist and it really sound like you hitting a flesh target and satisfying sound but in most mmo... you hit every target and sound all the same. know im saying. 

melee sound effect is my most important aspect when judging a game. 

1- melee sound effect
2- art 

my most highly recocmended is 
- Blade and Soul
- Omnimusha Dawn of Dreams 
- Tekken
- many more