Mobile Game Combat System Feedback

Nymbryxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi everyone, Im working on a mobile Android Game with my friends in college as a hobby. The game is Iron Legions, a fast paced mech game where you fight enemy squads. I just want to get some feedback from other gamers on the combat system we're designing (that way if there are some obvious flaws we can change now before things become more concrete and we find it sucks and run around in panic).

For the combat, your mech automatically locks on and moves automatically towards its target and you press attack buttons on the right corner to execute abilities. While you can't specify movement, you can swipe and dodge attacks left and right. Also, when you swipe up and down you change position from a close range to far range position, this can help you avoid attacks, but also changes your ability moveset (if you are close you have melee attacks, if you are far you have more ranged abilities available).

Our main goal is to have the combat feel fast paced, but avoid using a joystick. Mobile phone simulated joysticks suck in my opinion because no feedback, and also gets uncomfortable holding it down when the device gets warm for long periods of time.

I know the game still is very rough (we're still working on it), but here is some videos of the combat to get a basic idea.

Basic combat with some standard enemies

Gameplay on device (so you can see how the finger gestures work)

Another slight issue I find is that when you move to far range or close range, besides ability change, its hard for players to notice sometimes that they changed states in the heat of combat (you can only shift close and far). What would be the best way to indicate to the player that you made this change? We have a mini text indicator in the first video but I feel nobody will pay attention to it.

Any feedback or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

Since you probably can't count on players playing it with the sound on, and reading text may not be something you're focusing on, I'd probably say having the player or UI visibly flash when it changes would be the most noticeable change. Maybe using different color schemes for the UI depending on the mode, rather than just switching out the text? Obviously doesn't help the color blind unless you find some good contrasting colors, but I can't help you with those.