Most Wanted Comic Book games

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kenjisalk

Seeing as Batman AA reminded people that comic book games can work, I figured we could discuss which comics deserve a good game treatment. 

I'll start:  

DMZ - Vertigo Comics 
The story about a civil war torn US, focusing on main character, newbie photojournalist  Matty Roth, who gets dropped into ground zero (NYC is the line between the US and the defected rebels), the comic shows the gritty reality for the people who live in the cross-fire of a brutal military conflict. 

Matty soon gets stranded as the rest of the news crew with him parishes in an explosion caused by defector terrorists.  He quickly has to learn how to survive in such a dangerous environment, learning the various cliques that have formed within the DMZ.  Having befriended a medic who lives nearby, she shows him the ropes in the hopes that he might report the real story of the people who live there (the news outlet that Matty works for keeps a pretty tight lid on info outside, so that the public thinks the war is one-sided). 

He sets up shop in an abandoned apartment with the gear the studio sent him in with, and sets out to tell the real story of the war. 

It could easily work as a genre blender, with photo elements ala dead rising, shooter elements (there are plenty of classes they could come up with in this universe) and platforming/freerunning segments.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

My favorite comic book game is Marvel Ultimate Alliance and the sequel is looking top notch.  It is just what any Marvel comics fanboy could want with tons of characters and unlockable costumes.  I would like to see a good Spider-Man game, since that would be a lot of fun to play, unlike the movie based games that have been pumped out. 

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kenjisalk

Well we got the first two Spider-Man games on the PSone, and then the Web of Shadows recently, but all of them have been okay at best (mainly fun for web swinging). 

The thread was more or less supposed to be about comics that haven't been given a game treatment, that would in theory, work in the medium.  I think most marvel mainline comics have already gotten more than enough attention in that respect.
Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Dunno how strict you are with the definition of 'comic book' but I'd like a Gunsmith Cats game.

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kenjisalk

Manga works. 

GSC is practically a video game in premise, it could totally work.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Alex_Murphy said:
" Dunno how strict you are with the definition of 'comic book' but I'd like a Gunsmith Cats game. "
But...that's a manga.................
kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kenjisalk

graphic novel/manga/comic book, whatever, illustrated fiction is all I'm concerned with.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ

Most people probably aren't familiar with this publication, but I'd love to see a Generation X game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64
@kenjisalk said:
" graphic novel/manga/comic book, whatever, illustrated fiction is all I'm concerned with. "
This is true.
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Smarter_Martyr
No Caption Provided
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Barrock

I want a Lobo game. Hopefully with the movie on the way, we will get one. Hopefully it won't be total garbage.

They need to re-release the Avengers arcade brawler from the 90's on Live and PSN. I can't still hear the "CAPTAIN AMERICA! WE NEED YOUR HEEEEEEEEELP!"

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ

Oh, also, I want a DC versus Marvel video game. Also, a Marvel vs Capcom 3. And a "good" Superman game. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust

from DC
 from DC
I've always been a fan of the sidekicks and teen groups so my vote would be for the Teen Titans and New Mutants.  While your standard Diablo-esque beat'em up would be the easiest way to handle a team game, as was done in Marvel Ultimate Alliance, I'd like something a little more like Mass Effect/KOTOR or Dragon Age: Origins were the player chooses 1 character from the team and plays through the majority of the campaign with him/her and other team mates are adopted in and out of their party.  You could control all members of the party in combat (or at least assign them tactics) and over the course of the game, you'd accumulate skill points to improve you and your teams abilities.  Periodically, during the campaign, the story might branch off and you control all the interactions of a character different from the one you picked at the start.  This would be to flesh out the details and make sure the player has a good sense that they are playing a team based adventure.  Basically, I'm looking for a licensed comic RPG.
 from Marvel
 from Marvel

Also, has anyone ever made a Groo: The Wanderer game?  How about  Cerebus the Aardvark?  Or a new Bone game?
Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fenixrevolution

I would like a Teen Titans game as well. I would also like another GOOD Spider- Man game, I haven't enjoyed one since the two that were on the PSX.

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kenjisalk

Yeah Penguin, that sounds like a refreshing approach to that kind of game.  Marvel UA was fun and all, but I've always been kinda blah about that kind of dungeon crawler.  It sorta feels like a brawler, but the combat always ends up a repetitive obligation rather than a full-on action game.  I think a Mass Effect ish combat system would be a nice change of pace for that type of game. 

As an aside, does anyone here read comics other than superhero ones?  There is a wealth of quality material from various alternative labels, and while I definitely enjoy superhero comics, they get a lot of video game attention already. 

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Shadow

I still think the best way to make a Sonic game is to have it based off the Archie comic series (which were actually very good until issue 120-ish)
kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kenjisalk

From what I recall reading back in the day, it definitely seemed like the only good writing in something Sonic related.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By End_Boss

The Walking Dead.

No Caption Provided
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By breadfan
@End_Boss said:
" The Walking Dead.

No Caption Provided
"
I was thining Walking Dead, but it would have to be more than the usual shoot zombies in the face kinda game
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Griddler

Has Marvel Vs. Zombies been done?

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kenjisalk

The Walking Dead is getting a TV series on AMC (the network that brought you Mad Men), being helmed by some impressive talent.  A game might not be far off, which would rule. 

@girdz: they had a spider-man vs marvel zombies game that was announced a while back, but I think that was scrapped along with some other games.  It has even less of a chance now that marvel is disney property imo.
onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By onyxghost

Teen Titans...Uh, a teen titans game that doesn't blow.