BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Hey guys,

My ps3 was enjoying some bioshock infinite and then it shut off, yellow-lighted up then whirred off, now it won't come back on to me.

I'm thinking this launch ps3 with backwards compatibility might have finally shut down for good. It's given me so much love and wonderful times, hopefully I'll get to see it again but if it doesn't make it... I just hope where ever it goes it will remember me and the good times we had.

I also have a launch 360 but I don't think I'll be using it as much to replace it, and I don't know if I want to buy a new ps3 because I could just wait for a ps4 to show up someday.

but, I just wanted to share with you all the fondess I had for my ps3.

Thank you.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

From a thread I saw earlier, it doesn't look all that hard to repair, you might want to investigate that before burying it.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

If you know anything about working on PC's, you could take yours apart and apply new thermal paste before "cooking" it. It may give you a few more months after cleaning it. Remember to keep it nice and cool afterwards while running it :D

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By pr1mus

My condolences.

Having a launch PS3 AND 360 still working in 2013 is quite the feat.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

R.I.P

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Yeah yellow light means its pretty much gone. You could try the reflow technique, but that usually only lasts a few months at most. (mine lasted about two weeks.) Be thankful it lasted as long as it did.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By musubi

As someone who has gone through WAY too many consoles this generation ( on my 6th 360) and (2nd PS3) I know that shit sucks.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rip

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Caustic_Fox

I feel your pain (or rather you will feel mine.) I will give my experience of what I've had dealt with my 60GB launch system. First of the bat, just understand that your system will never operate as it did before this break-down (in a bad way).

You have three options to choose from.

1. You will have the board reflowed (This is the cheapest method). All you are doing is heating up the board enough so the BGA processors can attempt to establish connection with the cracked solder joints. This is usually cheapest, but only a temporary solution. Your system will eventually overheat and you are back to square one. Depending on how well you perform the reflow procedure, your system could run anywhere from two minuets up to a few months. Also, each consecutive reflow, your system will have a shorter time-frame of working.

2. Your second option will cost you more. You will send off your system to a third-party techie that will reball the graphics processor (in most cases). What they will be doing is heating up the board up to a point of physically detaching one of the BGA's. The techie then replaces the stock lead-free solder with some lead based solder. (Hence of why these systems are shitting themselves after a few years. Lead-free based solder is less tolerant to high temperatures than lead based ones.) From what I have heard this also only a temporary solution unfortunately. But it might give you more time than a reflow method would.

3. Your last option is to scrap your current board, and find a working compatible one. You do face one big problem with this method. Each PS3 systems' components are 'married' to one another, (please debunk this for me as I might talk bullshit now.) via a unique hardware id. If you were to change one of the main components you might be forced to reformat your hard disk drive for the reason that these numbers do not match with one another. So with that said, you will have to start from scratch on your Bioshock game.

To be brief to the point: IMO its not worth the hassle for long term.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By crithon

My PS3 died last year from watching too many blu rays, but I paid 100 bucks for repairs and it's as good as new. Disc reading is really a problem which could become wear and tear, but I'd say if you get a PSPlus subscription then it'd be worth just playing download only games.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Im going to resist making a schroders cat reference.

espm400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By espm400

Well, if it is officially dead, I would suggest you applaud it with a suitable demise (within the legal means of your area). My last 360 saw a 10,000psi hydraulic press, and the one before it (my personal favorite) got a proper funeral pyre (I filled with the thing with thermite). The latter might not be practicably possible (I'm a licensed pyrotechnician (fireworks not demo)), but if it was a much loved tool of enjoyment, it shouldn't just be tossed in the trash.

EDIT: @dagbiker, I'm now curious of said Schroder's cat reference...