My thoughts on suggestions and how GB reacts to them,

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By Red12b

Warning, Massive wall of text, you have been warned.

Warning two, I go really off tangent, I just let my thoughts flow.  

I love the quest thing, it's going to introduce a lot of people to the underused and underrated Wiki, and hopefully integrate a lot of users   
into the community as a whole, Forums are for the whole sitewide users, not just the usuals,   

I also agree that web design should follow the "least clicks to get to where you want to go method", waiting for Java to load up a menu for what should be a link to something that you use often, (Mailbox) is counter productive,  

Also, I want to make this perfectly clear,   

Whiskey, you guys rock Web Design,

I am on this site way more than it is healthy, and that is because of the way it is designed, and the company that is held here, so it is because of this reason why I think it is good for threads like these to pop up once in awhile,   
Sweep's blog's not so long ago is a good point to demonstrate this, It's not bashing or trying to find faults with it, it is trying to give suggestions to try and improve something that we obviously love,    

I am not ashamed to say this, I really like Giant Bomb, I like the style, Whisky Media is doing an absolute great job in finding new ways to keep us interested, and to keep us involved, The GB crew have been taking the professionally personal route which is incredibly hard to create and show with sincerity, but you do, and you do it better than any other site I go to (Or did go) I love the way that the Whiskey's idealism is to not create ad-space where possible but to involve the community into it's ad paradigm, which is a cosmic shift to the way that other web designers are doing now, (to their loss)   

Any way enough with the praise, I think I have made it clear that I enjoy the site,   

Now to the hard part, How do you pick apart something you love?  
Suggestions are good for moving forward, but they need to be met with constructive criticism, criticising an idea for the sake of criticising without trying to find an improvement or to offer advice is not productive, it's being a dick.  

So, I would like to just put out a few things that have been bothering me,   
New features, it's all well and good sending new features and new sites out but what about things that still need to be fixed? 
The mail bug is a prime example of something that has been going on for quite some time but seems to be put on the back burner, I know you guys must be under a total cavalcade of stress and pressure trying to get new features like the quest thing on a deadline, and new sites growing the business but it seems that bugs in the system are interwoven into the whisky site model,   
So it all sees to be a sort of attention grabbing device of hey look at this shiny new thing to take your attention off of the things that need to be improved,   
I hope I am wrong, I hope that there are people working to fix the issues that are evident and have and are still being reported,   

Something that I noticed is that when something is brought up as a suggestion, it is either totally agreed too, or massively attacked by the community, and hey, it's the Internet so of course it isn't going to work like some sort of paradise where we can all work together to make things better, and I can think of two examples that I am going to share right now,     

Now, I know that is a bit of a sore issue in the history of GB, but it is something quite poignant with the point that I am trying to raise here,   
Endogène's leaving blog.  
No doubt about it, it was a pompous pretentious hey look at me I'm leaving I want you to listen to me blog post, but if you look beyond the self important ramblings that take up half the Blog then you get a clear point.  
At the heart of that blog post Endo was trying to give advice, should he have put his points across in a manner that would have been more effective instead off chucking his toys out of the cot? of course, but he still made his view clear. (If you choose to look into it)   
There seem to be a disconnect with Users suggestions to Staff, either it goes un-noticed or gets taken out of context, which brings me to my other example,  

For the love of god, do not bump these, they have been sorted out and don't need resurfacing. 

Sweep's blogs, He made a blog making a suggestion on how to involve the community a bit more and was hit by a massive tidal wave of nerd-rage, it was just a suggestion guys, calm the fuck down, you don't like it then state your claim and be civil, it was just bad form.  
And then Sweep made the unfortunate choice to make his view known about FB connectivity, even SNIDE made a massive post on how he felt about how people reacted to it but seemed to point the blame at sweep,   

Now I know that is water under the bridge now, but it helps to illustrate what I am trying to say,   

Suggestions are good, and should be met with some level of optimism and not straight out pessimism, And people wouldn't put in the time if it didn't matter to them a great deal.   

Anyway, so much for a few words, A massive tangent. damn. Just want to reiterate, I love GB, if I didn't I wouldn't have spent the last hour writing this.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Red12b

Warning, Massive wall of text, you have been warned.

Warning two, I go really off tangent, I just let my thoughts flow.  

I love the quest thing, it's going to introduce a lot of people to the underused and underrated Wiki, and hopefully integrate a lot of users   
into the community as a whole, Forums are for the whole sitewide users, not just the usuals,   

I also agree that web design should follow the "least clicks to get to where you want to go method", waiting for Java to load up a menu for what should be a link to something that you use often, (Mailbox) is counter productive,  

Also, I want to make this perfectly clear,   

Whiskey, you guys rock Web Design,

I am on this site way more than it is healthy, and that is because of the way it is designed, and the company that is held here, so it is because of this reason why I think it is good for threads like these to pop up once in awhile,   
Sweep's blog's not so long ago is a good point to demonstrate this, It's not bashing or trying to find faults with it, it is trying to give suggestions to try and improve something that we obviously love,    

I am not ashamed to say this, I really like Giant Bomb, I like the style, Whisky Media is doing an absolute great job in finding new ways to keep us interested, and to keep us involved, The GB crew have been taking the professionally personal route which is incredibly hard to create and show with sincerity, but you do, and you do it better than any other site I go to (Or did go) I love the way that the Whiskey's idealism is to not create ad-space where possible but to involve the community into it's ad paradigm, which is a cosmic shift to the way that other web designers are doing now, (to their loss)   

Any way enough with the praise, I think I have made it clear that I enjoy the site,   

Now to the hard part, How do you pick apart something you love?  
Suggestions are good for moving forward, but they need to be met with constructive criticism, criticising an idea for the sake of criticising without trying to find an improvement or to offer advice is not productive, it's being a dick.  

So, I would like to just put out a few things that have been bothering me,   
New features, it's all well and good sending new features and new sites out but what about things that still need to be fixed? 
The mail bug is a prime example of something that has been going on for quite some time but seems to be put on the back burner, I know you guys must be under a total cavalcade of stress and pressure trying to get new features like the quest thing on a deadline, and new sites growing the business but it seems that bugs in the system are interwoven into the whisky site model,   
So it all sees to be a sort of attention grabbing device of hey look at this shiny new thing to take your attention off of the things that need to be improved,   
I hope I am wrong, I hope that there are people working to fix the issues that are evident and have and are still being reported,   

Something that I noticed is that when something is brought up as a suggestion, it is either totally agreed too, or massively attacked by the community, and hey, it's the Internet so of course it isn't going to work like some sort of paradise where we can all work together to make things better, and I can think of two examples that I am going to share right now,     

Now, I know that is a bit of a sore issue in the history of GB, but it is something quite poignant with the point that I am trying to raise here,   
Endogène's leaving blog.  
No doubt about it, it was a pompous pretentious hey look at me I'm leaving I want you to listen to me blog post, but if you look beyond the self important ramblings that take up half the Blog then you get a clear point.  
At the heart of that blog post Endo was trying to give advice, should he have put his points across in a manner that would have been more effective instead off chucking his toys out of the cot? of course, but he still made his view clear. (If you choose to look into it)   
There seem to be a disconnect with Users suggestions to Staff, either it goes un-noticed or gets taken out of context, which brings me to my other example,  

For the love of god, do not bump these, they have been sorted out and don't need resurfacing. 

Sweep's blogs, He made a blog making a suggestion on how to involve the community a bit more and was hit by a massive tidal wave of nerd-rage, it was just a suggestion guys, calm the fuck down, you don't like it then state your claim and be civil, it was just bad form.  
And then Sweep made the unfortunate choice to make his view known about FB connectivity, even SNIDE made a massive post on how he felt about how people reacted to it but seemed to point the blame at sweep,   

Now I know that is water under the bridge now, but it helps to illustrate what I am trying to say,   

Suggestions are good, and should be met with some level of optimism and not straight out pessimism, And people wouldn't put in the time if it didn't matter to them a great deal.   

Anyway, so much for a few words, A massive tangent. damn. Just want to reiterate, I love GB, if I didn't I wouldn't have spent the last hour writing this.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Heh.

I don't think anyone wants to bring all that shit up again.

Whiskey is awesome. I have faith that they know what they are doing and are making the site better for us, the users. Giantbomb isn't perfect but it's still the best gaming site on the internet, which says a lot...

The guys that work at Whiskey are all really cool and receptive to new ideas. I think the site could benefit from an official way of suggesting new features improvements other than bug-reporting, but at the end of the day I still think this site is great and even if i'm ignored i'm still going to keep using it.