Need some help deciding which racing game to pick up

Qdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Qdor

Hello Giant Bomb, I'm coming to you to help me decide which game, out of Blur, Split/Second, or Mod Nation Racer, I should pick up first.

I've played  Split/Second at PAX East and the Xbox Live demo. I really really enjoyed my time with it each time, but I fear that I just won't be able to come back to it time and time again.  It looks great, plays great, and is hooking me in, but I'm just not sure I can justify spending sixty bucks on it.

For Blur, I've played the beta, and was underwhelmed with the few cars I drove, but absolutely loved the online, the tracks, and the weapons.  I'm guessing that putting some time into the cars would allow me to get good with them, but my initial feel for the driving mechanics left me kinda middling about it.  From those who have it,  does the mechanics of the driving get more natural the more you play, or is it just kind of how it is. 

And then there is Mod Nation, a game I was completely uninterested in until watching the Quick look for it.   I  have trouble justifying the sixty dollars for this too, probably wouldn't use any of the creation stuff, and do most of my online gaming on the 360, but there is just something I love about kart racers (Sonic and Sega All Stars is my current kart fix), and racing around cool created tracks as awesome characters is exactly the kind of stupid fun I can just play and relax after work to. 

I'd have to say I'm leaning towards Spilt/Second at the moment, but can totally see myself grabbing eventually, and am 100% ready to be swayed by popular opinion.  So I turn to you Giant Bomb, because you are awesome, and know your shit. Thanks a ton in advance if I forgot I made this post for a week and don't reply.    

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By memo

I would pick up Blur.  I liked s/s over BLUR but to me blur has more play value, like learning the power ups, how you use defense to offense and learn the tracks.  S/S has the power plays plays but it seems if someone pulls ahead to far then there is no way to catch up.  But thats my opinion

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ch3burashka

Split/Second looks a hell of a lot more dumb fun that you can just enjoy and use to escape your dreary existence for at least an hour a day.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I think Mod Nation wins based on community. I can't imagine Blur and Split/Second keeping strong communities pass summer. If you think you'll stop playing those games around that time then pick up SS for sure. However, if you want to log on a year from now and hop into a game, I assume Mod Nation will easily take the cake for most active players still online. All complete speculation of course, but I'd still go for ModNat regardless.