Netflix - Console Style...

wileee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By wileee

Sunday night, the kids actually went to be early. A blizzard raging outside and nothing to watch on TV. Now would be a good time to put that Netflix free trial to work for us. I use my PS3 to watch videos on my computer through the network so that took precedence. Logging on and filling out the form was easy enough, but before hitting the submit button a notice on the screen stated that I would have to wait one or two days to receive a "start up CD" in the mail. That doesn't sound right!? So I said forget it and fired up the 360. Same form, but this time I was directed to go to the Netflix site and enter a code the 360 gave me. After a couple seconds of processing time my 360 activated and I was ready to start streaming movies. 

Unfortunately for the PS3 the drawbacks to using Netflix on their system didn't end with having to acquire a start-up disk. Two business days later I received my start-up disk in the mail. Which was funny because I never submitted my credit card information or activated the service with them. Even funnier was the note on the front of the start-up disk. "You will need to put this disk in the PS3 before streaming Netflix content EVERY TIME". Say WHAT!? So not only did I need a start-up disk but they have gone back to the technology Nintendo used to play Gameboy games on the GameCube, by having to run a start-up disk every time in order to use the streaming service. As much as I want to love the PS3, Sony just doesn't seem to have the end user in mind as much as Microsoft does.

wileee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wileee

Sunday night, the kids actually went to be early. A blizzard raging outside and nothing to watch on TV. Now would be a good time to put that Netflix free trial to work for us. I use my PS3 to watch videos on my computer through the network so that took precedence. Logging on and filling out the form was easy enough, but before hitting the submit button a notice on the screen stated that I would have to wait one or two days to receive a "start up CD" in the mail. That doesn't sound right!? So I said forget it and fired up the 360. Same form, but this time I was directed to go to the Netflix site and enter a code the 360 gave me. After a couple seconds of processing time my 360 activated and I was ready to start streaming movies. 

Unfortunately for the PS3 the drawbacks to using Netflix on their system didn't end with having to acquire a start-up disk. Two business days later I received my start-up disk in the mail. Which was funny because I never submitted my credit card information or activated the service with them. Even funnier was the note on the front of the start-up disk. "You will need to put this disk in the PS3 before streaming Netflix content EVERY TIME". Say WHAT!? So not only did I need a start-up disk but they have gone back to the technology Nintendo used to play Gameboy games on the GameCube, by having to run a start-up disk every time in order to use the streaming service. As much as I want to love the PS3, Sony just doesn't seem to have the end user in mind as much as Microsoft does.