New Console Purchase Advice

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm going to be coming into some money in the next couple of weeks I didn't expect, outside my budget. And considering I have an aging gaming PC that can't run the new Witcher game I have been contemplating buying a new console. I'd prefer to buy a new PC because I've always been a PC Gamer, but I also need a new monitor and right now in my life I just don't have the cash for a new gaming rig plus monitor, even with this extra bit I'm getting. Plus, I think I'd rather wait until next year to see if VR takes off and build a PC designed for that. (I'm getting around $500 btw)

I am leaning toward buying a PS4 so I can play all the cool games this year like Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and some older ones like Bloodborne and the Uncharted series which I never tried (the new HD collection looks perfect for me). On the other hand, I really like the look of the Wii U games lately. Splatoon and the new Mario Kart look fantastic. Not to mention it's cheaper so I'd probably be able to buy more games up front for it. Do any duders have any advice for me? Should I just hold out until next year to buy a brand new PC rig? I really want to check out the new Witcher game while it's still hot though. Or should I go for the Wii U? Any XBone thoughts?

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the xbox and ps4 are equally good consoles. But if you're considering only a console for gaming and no pc... I'd absolutely rule out the wii u. It's cheaper so you could buy more, but how many do you really think you'd buy? Is that enough? The xbox and ps4 will likely have more for you over time making it better value. Unless you really love Nintendo games and don't really play anything else, then go for it. In my opinion, for that amount of money, I'd get either of the new consoles and suspect you'd be pretty happy. If you like the souls games get ps4 and bloodborne, it is a lot of fun.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

If waiting until you build your PC to play some of the big multiplatform games is out of the question, I'd say go PS4. However, if you can stomach waiting a year or so until you have a capable PC to play those games, a Wii U may be the better option. It will more than likely end having far more games not on PC than either the PS4 or X1 since most of the big games on those systems are multiplatform. Still, there are certainly reasons you'd want a X1 or PS4, since they aren't completely without good exclusives of their own.

I don't think that actually helped at all, sorry.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bigsocrates  Online

I have an Xbox One and PS4. I use the Xbox One more, though most people seem to prefer PS4. Which one is better comes down to which interface you like and, of course, the games. For now the Xbox, in my opinion, has better AAA exclusives (I know people love Bloodborn but to me it's not better than Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and the Master Chief Collection combined) while the PS4 has better indie games, though many of those indie games are making their way over to the Xbox One (It just got Rogue Legacy, the Swapper, and Steamworld Dig)

If you have friends on one or the other, get that one. If you have PS Vita get a PS4 for crossplay.

Either way you go I hope you like indie type games, because there's been kind of a lack of big expensive titles for these boxes. The Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight help with this, but after that it's pretty much mid-tier stuff until Mad Max and Metal Gear in September. If you're buying an 8th gen console right now you should have a couple specific games in mind, because so far there's a lot more promise than actual delivery.

Can't speak to the Wii U. Seems cool, but relatively few releases and not much of a future given that Nintendo has already announced the next console.