Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll New Handheld Game (6 votes)

Fantasy Life 83%
Freedom Wars 67%

I want a new handheld game but I'm poor and can only afford one so it has to keep me entertained for at least a couple weeks. I've been looking at Freedom Wars and Fantasy Life in particular. Which one is more recommended? Which one is more bang for my buck?

• 
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I haven't played either, but one of my buddies is enjoying Fantasy Life.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I don't know anything about either one. So get Fantasy Life because that sounds like Japanese Second Life so it has to be great.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

What are your feelings on Monster Hunter and Soul Sacrifice? Ever enjoyed an Animal Crossing game? Do you like cute things or prefer serious and dark? Do you want something to play for a few hours straight or something to play for short stretches off and on?

With answers to those questions, I can tell you exactly which one to pick up.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

As a true 'Murican I can only support things with Freedom or God in them.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I love Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I hated Soul Sacrifice with a passion. I didn't like the time constraint on things in Animal Crossing at all, but I liked the aesthetic and like cute things.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Hunkulese

How do you feel about 20 year penalties for lying down to rest?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I love Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I hated Soul Sacrifice with a passion. I didn't like the time constraint on things in Animal Crossing at all, but I liked the aesthetic and like cute things.

Okay, you'll have to elaborate on what you hated about Soul Sacrifice.

Freedom Wars is a lot like a mix between Monster Hunter and Soul Sacrifice; so, what you disliked about SS is important.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I really didn't like the moves being limited by the item usage, and the art was too 'grimdark' for my tastes, I mean meatwalls? Really?

I also disliked the book quest system, I prefer a hub to roam in and buy/craft stuff, in SS you just got handed stuff and thrown into battle with no downtime.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aronman789: How did you feel about the faster combat though? Freedom Wars is kind of like a faster, more dark anime-style version of Monster Hunter. It's a faster entry in that genre, similar to SS.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I do prefer MH's slower, more tactical timing of moves and positioning, but I didn't particularly hate SS's faster pace, though it did become annoying at times when ten goblins would run around and hit me at random while I'm trying to kill and Orc.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aronman789: hm. Well, Freedom Wars is faster-paced and less-based on that kind of methodical action, but it has that similar mission structure. Fantasy Life is a cute and accessible fantasy action RPG with very light life sim elements. It's good for short light-hearted sessions of fun.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: about how many hours of content do you think each one has? I know FW has a singleplayer story, is it or the characters any good?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TruthTellah

@aronman789: Well, Fantasy Life's story can be mainlined in about 30 hrs, but it has a decent bit of replayability. It's more focused on a casual, light-hearted experience which could get you 50+ hrs easy. The story is pretty boilerplate but has well-written dialogue that many people find charming. It also has an enjoyable adventure soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu(of FF fame).

Freedom Wars has more of a multiplayer mission focus over story, with AI "accessories" (allies) helping you out on missions to take down creatures in an area. There is a story, but that isn't the big draw for most people. Its main content can be completed in about 25 hrs according to many folks, but like most hunting games, there's more missions you can grind for many, many hrs after that. It's a much more difficult game that requires some tactics and item crafting. Some have complained that it's a bit too difficult and at times relies too much on RNG with crafting and such, but many appreciate its difficulty and enjoy the grind.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mosespippy

Have you considered waiting three weeks for Persona Q?

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: it's supposed to be kind of a present to myself for my birthday, waiting for another release wouldn't work with it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aronman789: I hope I was helpful. It's kind of tough when I don't know your personal taste. Do you have some friends with Vitas? Because Freedom Wars is better with friends. But Fantasy Life is plenty of fun by yourself. It's more of a charming, fun game than a dark, grinding hunter game.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aronman789

@truthtellah: yeah, you helped a lot (what didn't help is that the reply and post buttons on the mobile site are unresponsive 90% of the time, wink-wink nudge-nudge Alexis) I think I've made up my mind to go with Fantasy Life. I don't have the time or energy to play anything too involved after work most days, and I've heard the Freedom Wars multiplayer is having lag issues at the moment. Might buy it later on.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aronman789: I don't think you could go wrong with Fantasy Life. Seems like a great choice for after work fun. :)

Happy Birthday, aronman!