New ray-traced version of Myst launching...tomorrow?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I don't know if I necessarily need to play Myst again, and this is probably more of a tech demo than a full-fledged release, but still - might be fun to get back into it for a bit. I don't remember Myst being especially long (and I'm not sure is this is going to be free-roam or lock you into travel nodes like the original did).

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm disappointed it's not just still images. That's not Myst to me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

As a big Myst fan I’ll check it out although the first Myst is kind of rough unless they also modernized some of the puzzle solutions.

If anyone is curious about trying one of these I would recommend skipping the first two and starting with Myst 3: Exile which is really good or the best in the series n my option Myst 4: Revelation. There is backstory you’ll be missing but it doesn’t factor into the puzzles themselves which are great. Revelation actually does some really interesting things with the story as well.

If you like having a pad and pen to sketch out solutions or write down notes then you’ll really like these games.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is also available in VR.

@rorie "Built from the ground up to play both in VR as well as traditional flatscreen displays, Myst is teeming with new art, new sound, re-imagined interactions, and even optional puzzle randomization."

https://cyan.com/games/myst/

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Matt Damon will be thrilled.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By BrittonPeele

This is (finally) the PC and Xbox release of the very good Myst remake that launched on the Oculus Quest late last year. I really enjoyed it there, and I am definitely looking forward to see it again with better graphics and ray tracing... But then again, I'm a fanboy for this series, so of course I'll take yet another excuse to play it.

My only disappointment is that apparently the Game Pass for PC version doesn't support VR, because according to someone at Cyan "the platform doesn't support it," which is an interesting and unfortunate little tidbit of information. So if I want the best VR version of the experience I'd need to buy it again on Steam, which I'm not going to rush to do given I already bought it on Oculus.

Editing to add an answer to @rorie's question: It's free roam. The Oculus Quest version also had a teleport option that I assume can be used on PC VR. Dunno if free roam is the only option with mouse and keyboard or not, but it works well.

Avatar image for secular_strateg
Secular_Strateg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me, for the past 15 years: "Please give us a modern remake of Riven."

Cyan, every 3 years: "What's that you say? Another Myst remake? Don't mind if we do!"

Avatar image for deactivated-62a0c35818923
deactivated-62a0c35818923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only disappointment is that apparently the Game Pass for PC version doesn't support VR, because according to someone at Cyan "the platform doesn't support it,"

Hmm. Somebody should tell Unknown Worlds, because when I dipped into Subnautica via Game Pass last year it totally worked in VR. Flight Sim also works in VR through Game Pass too, so not sure they're telling the full story

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@secular_strateg: I’m glad I wasn’t the only one whose gut reaction was to yell “DO RIVEN” at their phone.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've never played Myst. How faithful is this thing going to be to the original? Will I got a proper Myst experience out of this, or should I still play the original game to get that?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks beautiful!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous
@brian_ said:

I've never played Myst. How faithful is this thing going to be to the original? Will I got a proper Myst experience out of this, or should I still play the original game to get that?

This will be at least the third remake they've done, not to mention like ten ports; they're all the same game, just with various amounts of 'now it's 3D polygonal graphics rather than images' and/or 'now it's freeroam normal/modern first person movement rather than clicking the edge of the screen to move to the next predetermined location.'

@rorie: realMyst (2000), realMyst: Masterpiece Edition (2014), and Myst (2020) (this one, which released on Oculus last year) have all been freeroam.

Also, to those asking about length: realMyst: Masterpiece Edition says I got all of the achievements in 7.5 hours back when it came out, but I roughly remembered where to go/in what order to do the islands from when I was a kid. I could see a new player taking 10 or more hours, especially if you're reading all of the books/notes/journals and decide to go explore somewhere else when you get stuck rather than just looking up a puzzle solution after 10m.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@rhythm: That's a really good point. Hmm.

Well, potential good news: The Oculus PC version of Myst also launched today, and it appears to be cross-buy, so those of us who already bought it on Quest have one way to play it on PC in VR, at least.