Nighttime/In bed gaming - Should I buy 2DS/3DS or Raspberry Pi for Retropie

Holg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm looking for a console/handheld to play in bed before I go to sleep. I used to play computer games quite often but since I work from home now I just don't want to be sitting at the computer anymore. Recently, to scratch the gaming itch, I've been playing Pokemon Yellow on my phone which got me thinking I should either get a 2ds/3ds or a Raspberry Pi for Retropie. What do you guys think I should do?

Holg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone can give me some input, that would be great!

spacehobbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're just looking to get something that plays old games then get a Raspberry Pi, but there are some really great 3ds games that are really worth checking out. Mostly: Mario 3d Land, Link Between Worlds and the Fire Emblem games. I also really liked Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, but I missed that game the first time around on Wii. Also the 3ds Pokemon games are pretty good. I think a 2d/3ds is a good investment.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Zelyre

So... how do you intend on playing with the Raspberry Pi if you're looking for a handheld? Will you be hooking it up to a TV? Or building a handheld shell for it?

I'm using a Pi 3 with the PS3 controller over bluetooth. There's about 100ms latency on my TV. It makes just about every action game unplayable for me. RPGs work just fine. There's been a new build since I setup my Raspberry Pi, I've read it helps some with the latency issues.

I've also had to SSH into my Pi for various reasons. I suppose if you needed to change configurations or upload roms, you could just pull the memory card out and do it on a PC instead of SSH'ing in.

Holg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're just looking to get something that plays old games then get a Raspberry Pi, but there are some really great 3ds games that are really worth checking out. Mostly: Mario 3d Land, Link Between Worlds and the Fire Emblem games. I also really liked Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, but I missed that game the first time around on Wii. Also the 3ds Pokemon games are pretty good. I think a 2d/3ds is a good investment.

Thanks for the response. I have been looking at some of the newer games. I think I would like Fire Emblem because I was a big fan of FFTactics. Do you think it is worth the $170 to get a refurbished New 3ds XL vs the $60 for a 2DS?

@zelyre said:

So... how do you intend on playing with the Raspberry Pi if you're looking for a handheld? Will you be hooking it up to a TV? Or building a handheld shell for it?

I'm using a Pi 3 with the PS3 controller over bluetooth. There's about 100ms latency on my TV. It makes just about every action game unplayable for me. RPGs work just fine. There's been a new build since I setup my Raspberry Pi, I've read it helps some with the latency issues.

I've also had to SSH into my Pi for various reasons. I suppose if you needed to change configurations or upload roms, you could just pull the memory card out and do it on a PC instead of SSH'ing in.

I was going to use my xBox controller since it has a very long cable and could reach to my bed.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd recommend a 3DS, but then again - I've come to realize that I don't actually like old games.

I've gone back and played some of my favorites from back in the day, and it took me way too long to realize that everytime I do this, I spend maybe 10-15 minutes per game and move on. That's not a good sign.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a retropie setup. It's ace. I use my ps4 controller over USB for it, works a treat!

Really great for having a little retro gaming fix. I also have a 3ds.......but it hardly gets used.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By StarvingGamer

I like portable games for bedtime playing, they tend to be more digestible. A 2/3DS is a strong option, or a Vita if you're the proper sort. Right now my go-to is MonHun Generations and I usually crank out a mission or two before turning in.

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've been playing Picross 3D on my 3DS XL before going to bed. If I feel like gaming around bedtime, I'm probably going to be too tired to get invested in anything that requires quick reflexes or lots of strategic thinking, but simple puzzle games are still good enough to scratch that late night gaming itch. Luckily, the 3DS (as well as the original DS) seems to have an abundance of simple puzzle games, so that would be my preference. Of course, if you're not concerned with tiredness hindering your gaming abilities, then I suppose you can't go wrong with either option!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Vita is the right choice. Way better library of games, especially if you're not playing on anything else. It's also way easier to play older games as most titles are downloadable.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeStephan

Playing any 3ds in bed = very painfull wrists within no time for me.

Bill_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play Bastion on my PSVita in bed. It's good. Would recommend.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BelowStupid

Retropie is awesome. Ive build a few portable consoles with them, besides just playing on my tv. I'd suggest getting the pigrrl 2 kit from adafruit.Takes a bit of soldering and you may need to replace the tac switches every few months, but for the price, convience, and breath of games you can play it's worth it.

If you get one for the tv too you can transfer the saves back and forth.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS VITA

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By big_denim

@holg: Have you considered a PC hooked up to a TV and/or the Steam Link? I have a Steam Link hooked up to the TV in my bedroom and I absolutely love it. Nothing better than waking up on a Saturday morning and playing hotseat Civ5 games with the fiance.

PSVita is also a very underrated handheld in my opinion if you want to go that route.

EDIT: Meant to say - I only suggest Steam Link if an ethernet connection or a powerline adapter is an option. I would not rely on WiFi for an enjoyable experience.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I love my VITA. It may not have a million games, but the ones that it does well (Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, etc.) it does super well. And the Final Fantasy X HD remake is arguably the best version of that game around.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

A good headboard.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The Pi is so cheap, why don't you just get it anyway?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: You're a crazy person. The Vita has ton of great games, hundreds even if you count all the old stuff on the store.

Unless you mean it literally doesn't have a million games. Then, well, yeah.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rorie: You're a crazy person. The Vita has ton of great games, hundreds even if you count all the old stuff on the store.

Unless you mean it literally doesn't have a million games. Then, well, yeah.

To each his/her own, I guess. I've only found maybe 10 that I really was interested in, but they were all pretty great.

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've just picked up a 2ds myself for a bit of night time gaming. That and Monster Hunter are a perfect combination!

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

If the rumors about the portability of the next Nintendo system are true, maybe it's best to wait for more details on that.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

i bought a 2ds a few years ago and it mostly just sits in a drawer aside from the off occasion where i'll pull it out to play Picross 3D. That game is great. haven't pulled the trigger on the whole retropie setup yet so i'm not much help there either but you know what's a good thing to do in bed that doesn't mess up or wrists or circadian rhythms? reading a book.