Nintendo Games Black hole.

STORMP00PER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sup everyone?

I never had a Nintendo console growing up so I missed out on most of the games that people hold in such reverence like Link to the past etc.

I'm thinking of picking up some cheapo systems and games, can you guys suggest some must haves from SNES/GameCube era? Thinking maybe Wind Waker and Mario but I'm not even sure which Mario games I should look into - Sunshine? Anyhoo I'd love to hear some suggestions - thanks Duders.

STORMP00PER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: good to know! Anything you think I should definitely get?

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Hmm, this is tough one. We're talking about three generations of consoles here, so any list is going to be extensive. Here's my stab at a list, but it is by no means definitive:

SNES

• Super Mario World
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Mario Kart
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Super Mario RPG

N64

• Super Mario 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Star Fox 64
  • Perfect Dark

Gamecube

• Metroid Prime
  • Animal Crossing
  • Pikmin 2
  • F-Zero GX
  • Resident Evil 4

I kept it to five per system to keep the list manageable. I also tried to avoid repeating franchises or game types too much unless they are significantly different (i.e. Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are very similar in structure, but Majora's mask is different enough). Also, I left of some titles, like Super Metroid, that are highly regarded but I haven't yet played. Hope this helps!

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't play Super Mario Sunshine. It is a bad video game.

Hot take, it's a perfectly fine 3D Mario game. It just so happens that it's sandwiched between the revolutionary Super Mario 64 and the incredibly polished Super Mario Galaxy. Compared to those, Sunshine is merely a very good game.

generalwalnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Zelda: I think you should play Wind Waker, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and (I know) Majora's Mask. Majora is one of those games that will either really click with you or not, so it's worth giving it a shot.

For Mario I'd say: Super Mario World definitely. For 3D Mario I'd say Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a fantastic game, and I think without the context of playing Mario 64 when it was new it may be a more difficult game to appreciate now.

Also I would dive into some weirder Nintendo stuff and see what works for you. Earthbound and Mother 3 are really great, even with their somewhat overbearing fanbase. Wario Land 2 and 3 might be worth looking at, along with some Rhythm Heaven games and some Warioware (not as familiar with those series so I couldn't tell you which).

There's also Pokemon, but if you never got into that one as a kid it might not be worthwhile now. If you wanted to try I would say Fire Red/Leaf Green, the GBA remakes of the first games, are a good jumping in point.

Metroid has Super Metroid, Zero Mission is great, and I'd give Prime a shot.

Current Nintendo also has a lot to offer, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is fantastic, as is stuff like Splatoon and Pikmin 3.

The Short Version: Nintendo has made a lot of good video games.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F-zero on GC is both fantastic and overwhelming. I'd recommend that.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, this is tough one. We're talking about three generations of consoles here, so any list is going to be extensive. Here's my stab at a list, but it is by no means definitive:

SNES

• Super Mario World
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Mario Kart
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Super Mario RPG

N64

• Super Mario 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Star Fox 64
  • Perfect Dark

Gamecube

• Metroid Prime
  • Animal Crossing
  • Pikmin 2
  • F-Zero GX
  • Resident Evil 4

I kept it to five per system to keep the list manageable. I also tried to avoid repeating franchises or game types too much unless they are significantly different (i.e. Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are very similar in structure, but Majora's mask is different enough). Also, I left of some titles, like Super Metroid, that are highly regarded but I haven't yet played. Hope this helps!

You can't skip original NES! And those games were generally shorter, so you can squeeze them in. Here:

• Mario 2
  • Mario 3
  • Legend of Zelda

Also, you forgot Super Metroid for SNES

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@kingbonesaw: good to know! Anything you think I should definitely get?

Don't listen to that guy; I like Sunshine more than 64 or Galaxy!

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tartyron: OP mentioned that they were looking for SNES to Gamecube era, so that's why I excluded the NES. Still, I second those recommendations!

Also, I'd love to have included Super Metroid, but sadly it remains on my wall of shame.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who recently played Mario 64 for the first time I would say that it doidn`t (for me) hold up outside of the context of the time. Maybe skip it.

I also have a Nintendo shaped hole in by gaming history so I can`t actualy recommend anything. Sorry!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For SNES it's probably best to get a New 3DS or Wii U and go to the eshop.

For SNES: A Link to the Past is my main recommendation, followed by Super Mario World and Super Metroid. I wouldn't worry too much about Mario Kart at this point. It's fine but it's just a very basic one of those games.

For Gamecube, Wind Waker is essential. Although the Wii U HD Edition is the best version of that game, so maybe check that out? F-Zero GX is also cool as hell but I don't know how easy that is to find now. Resident Evil 4 you can play everywhere at this point.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MudKatt

Sunshine is a GREAT game. Again, don't listen to that guy.

Anyway Nintendo is pretty good about treating their mainline franchises right, so just about any game is worth the play through. I could list out my favorites but that's a subjective list and listing Nintendo games doesn't quite seem to do em justice.

I don't know your budget, or what games you would be more interested in or anything like that. All I can say is that there a ton of great games that hold up even to this day, however you can find an opportunity to play em.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

A couple not mentioned yet so far as I saw (maybe a bit niche):

SNES

Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Sim City
Wario's Woods
Castlevania
Mega Man X

Also check out the Disney games from this era as well. Those are pretty rad.

N64

Harvest Moon
Blast Corps

Gamecube

Haters be damned, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Rogue Squadron
Paper Mario
Soul Calibur 2 w/ Link
Viewtiful Joe

I don't like Sunshine, but I like the setting and music. It's off.....Darth Navster makes the best point, it finds itself between one of the most revolutionary games of all time and one of the greatest games of all time. Consider the fact that it does not get ported (far as I know), discussed, or remastered like everything else.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I hear people on this site really like Mario Party. It's skilled based game with a clearly defined "winner" at the end. Lot's of them to choose from on those systems.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just here to recommend the Metroid Prime trilogy. They are first person adventure games.

You will get ABSORBED in the atmosphere of those, especially the first.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By TheWildCard

F-Zero GX is a great Gamecube title. Rogue Squadron is solid too.

As for SNES: Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart and the Donkey Kong Country series. And if we're including third-party stuff there is of course the great Final Fantasy VI.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

SNES:

• Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (If you can get it, get Super Mario All-Stars, as that has games from 1 through 3)

N64:

• Super Mario 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Donkey Kong 64

Those are my essential games. (Also I was born in 1989, so it's not like I had a ton of games) Some games haven't aged well. I have many fond memories of GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, but having revisited those games within the past 5 years or so, they are not good games based on how they control. Better framerate, dual analog controls, etc. it would be a different story. Some are probably more of a time and a place thing for me. Like I really loved Star Fox 64, but I'm not sure how appealing it would be to someone who hasn't played it before.

I never owned a GameCube, but the best GameCube game I've played is Resident Evil 4, although I can think of seven different platforms that is on. But man, holy shit, Resident Evil 4 is a great game.

And despite what Jeff says about Majora's Mask, while I do agree with him on some stuff, I have had an overall good time with that game, even if it doesn't hold a candle to Ocarina in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mario Sunshine is the best mario.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#21  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

SNES: Super Mario World, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Earthbound as far as first party stuff goes, Mega Man X, Super Castlevania IV, Contra III: The Alien Wars and Chrono Trigger if you're also looking for third party games.

GameCube: Luigi's Mansion, Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Pikmin/Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door are all great first party games, and Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe are both fantastic third party titles, though the former's been ported to a million consoles at this point. If you're down with games that are super interesting but don't necessarily play great Killer7 is also worth checking out.

The Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest bonus disc that was a pre-order bonus with Wind Waker is also worth picking up if you aren't planning on getting an N64 or Wii, but I'm pretty sure it's the most expensive option of the three. Don't bother with the Collector's Edition disc unless you can find it for cheap, Zelda 1 and 2 play terribly on the GameCube controller and the version of Majora's Mask on there is glitchy and prone to crashing. (OOT port is identical to the standalone disc but without the Master Quest option) Super Smash Bros Melee and Mario Kart: Double Dash were great multiplayer games but I dunno how much fun you could get out of them nowadays, not much single player content for either but worth checking out if you could find them cheap enough.

STORMP00PER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duders! thanks for all the great suggestions - i will start trawling through these, looking forward to a bunch of really chill games

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, when it comes to retro Nintendo games and systems "cheap" may be a bit tough to find. Good luck!

Also it's worth trying any game from the main Nintendo franchises really. They're all really solid games despite the commentary you hear a lot just because they're so meaningful to people.