NO TRAILERS FOR me...

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

Since about mid summer last year I've started to avoid all videos and trailers for games I'm interested in. For example, I haven't watched one second of Battlefield 3 footage nor have I watched any of the  Bioshock infinite footage. Same goes for Uncharted 3 and Skyrim. Anybody else now doing a media blackout for games they already know they're going to buy?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

How do you know if you like the game? Do you read previews and reviews?

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Maajin

I always do it. Haven't seen a single frame of Uncharted 3 intentionally. The same is true for Arkham City and Mass Effect 3. Skyrim I wasn't sure, but went into blackout after that first trailer with gameplay and the awesome Elder Scrolls theme.

This only works for games I'm like 90% sure I'll like. God of War 3, for instance, if I knew about the fights against Poseidon or Cronos, I would probably not have loved as I did.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@mikey87144 said:
Since about mid summer last year I've started to avoid all videos and trailers for games I'm interested in. For example, I haven't watched one second of Battlefield 3 footage nor have I watched any of the  Bioshock infinite footage. Same goes for Uncharted 3 and Skyrim. Anybody else now doing a media blackout for games they already know they're going to buy?
Could you explain why you do this? I mean you'll be completely ignorant as to how the game plays or what's going on in it if you just buy it day 1 without ever watching or reading anything about it 

You mentioned Battlefield 3. How are you going to do good online when everyone around you knows what an EOD bot is or how the destruction works, while you don't?
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikey87144
@Dany said:

For games like Uncharted 3 and Skyrim, which have pedigree, I trust that the game will deliver so I see know reason to watch any of the trailers or gameplay videos. I'm already sold. For less known games like Deus Ex and some DLC games I will probably get as much info on it as possible. 
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zeforgotten

@Dany said:

Never read previews or reviews myself, trailers don't do a thing for me either, the only way I know if I like the game or not is by actually playing the game. I know, that's kinda weird but that's how I work.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@mikey87144: I've been doing this for a long time now, and it's pretty awesome going into a game knowing barely anything about it. I saw a two-minute video of Portal 2 before playing it and that was all, for example. So much of that game was a complete surprise, and I think it made for a much better experience.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikey87144
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@mikey87144 said:
Could you explain why you do this? I mean you'll be completely ignorant as to how the game plays or what's going on in it if you just buy it day 1 without ever watching or reading anything about it  You mentioned Battlefield 3. How are you going to do good online when everyone around you knows what an EOD bot is or how the destruction works, while you don't?
I read about all games I'm interested in but for games with pedigree like Skyrim and Battlefield I don't see the need to read and watch everything about them. I've played most of the franchises previous releases so unless they do a 180, like Dragon Age 2 or Red Faction Armageddon, I'll still be able to excel at the game. 
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By craigbo180
@Dany said:

There are some games that you are going to play regardless of what previews and reviews say. If you played and loved gears one and two you might be in a position where you are 100% going to buy the game. I also often buy games on a whim that I know little to nothing about, the one big plus when playing a game you have not followed coverage for is that you are able to easily and clearly form your own opinion without any outside influence.
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikey87144
@Vito_Raliffe: Yea. So many people were a little upset that they watched all the trailers for Portal 2. I watched them after I finished and I can see how that would spoil the game for them.
babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By babblinmule

I go complete blackout on my most anticipated games yeah. In the final few weeks I tend to avoid forums too. For example when Mass Effect 3 comes out, I'm not going to be around here at all. 

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By samfo

I did that for San Andreas. That game was immense! Go Karts and Hovercrafts and all!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch more game media these days then actually play games damn its been a long summer.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikey87144
@babblinmule: I'm very late to the party on the Mass Effect franchise but after playing 50+ hours of ME2 I won't be watching one trailer for ME3. I don't even want to read anything on the game. I want to come in as cold as possible on that game.
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mikey87144
@JEC03: Play games on your pile of shame. Still got a couple more to go through.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144 said:
@JEC03: Play games on your pile of shame. Still got a couple more to go through.
It's not so much shame it's theres nothing to play atm.
Avatar image for callofspartansofwar1337
CallofSpartansofWar1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

u shuld at leas watch that biochck 1. jus cuz its omg crazy!! nd it doesnt giv DAT much away.