Nostalgia and you

FluidLung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By FluidLung

So recently I cranked out my Sega Genesis and played 2 of my favorite games that i found difficult as a kid. They were World of illusion featuring Mickey mouse and Donald duck as well as Quack shot featuring Donald duck, you can imagine my excitement as i loaded up these games. After about an hour of playtime with both i came to a sad reality these games are were no longer a challenge and as such had lost a little of their beauty in my eyes. In the end i still love playing games i did when i was a kid some that i play regularly to this day include Super mario world, Secret of mana, Theme hospital and other games i held close to my heart as a child. 
So my question is what games from your childhood or gaming past do you boot up every once in awhile or what games from your past have you played recently and found lacking or surpassing your memory of them. 
I always love to know what other gamers grew up on.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vexxan

The N64 and Pokémon were big parts of my childhood. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are two of my dearest video game memories and I recently play through both of them once again, both still holding up and being as amazing as I remember them. As for Pokémon I think it's great it's still around and games of it are being produced quite often. They may look different from the Pokémon Yellow I was absorbed in as a kid but hey, they're still Pokémon games and they feel a lot like the old ones. Picked up HeartGold last year and just going back to era of Pokémon I loved(first 250 ones) was just great.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ShockD

For me it will always be Battle City. It's an old and simple games with tanks, but I had great fun playing it with friends back in the day. And I still love it, definitely my favorite game for the NES.

FluidLung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By FluidLung

I also played pokemon yellow man i loved getting the 3 starter pokemon and having pikachu follow me.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TobbRobb

Actually understanding the battlesystem in Pokemon and not just grind out the bosses, made it quite a lot easier.

I recently put in my Megadrive "genesis"as well and played some Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I never finished it as a kid, but now it was pretty easy. I still think it's good though, I had fun and the music is great.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I played the first console game I ever owned on an emulator earlier this year: Clayfighter 63 and 1/3. As a younger kid, I used to play it for hours and enjoyed it. Now, I think it fucking sucks.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ervonymous

I have no nostalgia for my NES games, I either played them way too much (Chip 'n Dale, Mega Man, Kirby, Super Mario) or they were complete shit (Turtles Tournament Fighters, Turtles, Top Gun).

PS1 on the other hand - Rayman 1, Crash Bandicoot 3 and FFIX I revisit sometimes. I'll also always regret selling my copy of Hercules, I could just buy a used copy for practically nothing but it wouldn't be the same, it was my first PS1 game. :( I desperately wanted money for MGS2.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maajin

Another World (aka Out of This World) is a game that I play at least twice a year since god knows when.

It is very nostalgic, yet the more my gaming history knowledge and my perception of game design grows, the more I appreciate it. That game is so goddamn ahead of it's time.

jamiepr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By jamiepr

just got back an amstrad cpc 464 that a first got when i was about seven years old been good reliving my childhood. loved nes back in day but my best memory was getting snes with street fighter 2 at christmas it was under the tree for two weeks before so as you would expect me and my brother had to creep downstairs a good 13 days before to sneek it out of its box and upstairs to play had it completed by christmas day lol good times

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Hargreaves93
@FluidLung said:
I also played pokemon yellow man i loved getting the 3 starter pokemon and having pikachu follow me.
This was the best part about that game because none of my friends had the trading cable so I could always have a better Pokedex than them. 
 Back onto the topic though, I get a huge sense of nostalgia when I watch playthroughs of games I played as a kid. Ocarina of Time is the main one, I get goosebumps every time I hear the Fairy's Fountain theme.
konradbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By konradbm

I was a PC gamer until I got my N64 in 1998 so most of my nostalgic games are either arcade or PC based.

Commander Keen 1,2 & 3 - the Dopefish still scares the shit out of me.
Raptor: Flight Combat (think that was the subtitle at least).
Captain Commando - hasn't aged well, let me tell you, but I have a lot of time for Ginzu The Ninja.
 Metal Slug 2 - still great.
 WWE No Mercy - best wrestling game ever apart from...
Royal Rumble - SNES classic. Sometimes I miss Acclaim .
Lylat Wars - That's Star Fox 64 to most of you. Still love it.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By supermonkey122

It may sound weird but Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, I was around 10 when it came out and was blown away. Today it's still a great game.