Obsidian wants to do Chrono Trigger sequal

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Chris2KLee

Man, they have totally given up on original IP's huh?

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/06/obsidian-would-like-to-work-on-chrono-trigger/

What's your say? To be honest 5 years ago I would have been very interested, but the last few releases from the company have not exactly set my confidence high in them. The ideas are there, but the technology seem to always be the stumbling point for them.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fwylo

They would be better off porting the original one to iphone or something.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Crono11

I don't even know if I want a sequel for it anymore....That's a lie, I do want one.  

But not from them.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

...they mean Chrono Cross?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

I imagine the reaction to Alpha Protocol didn't fill them with much confidence.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jimbo

Maybe they should try and concentrate on Fallout Vegas.  I have a feeling that game could make or break them - actually, it's more like 'break or not break them'.

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By FireSketch
@Jimbo: I'm sure Vegas will be fine. They seem to have no problem with the writing, they stumble on... everything else. Fortunately Bethesda has done that for them. d:
Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chris2KLee
@KaosAngel said:
" ...they mean Chrono Cross? "
Chrono Cross was great, a really overlooked game. I'd love a third game in the series, but I'm not really sure this is the best fit. If they said "Chrono Trigger Sequel coming from Bioware" I'd be high fiving everyone I see on the street all day.
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Clinkz

Don't touch the best jrpg series out there Obsidian. You'll only disappoint me.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

You can tell those guys to fuck right off.  I might trust the development of a new Chrono Trigger if you were willing to get Nintendo, Naughty Dog, the entirety of Square Enix, Bethesda and Rockstar and managed by God...

It's great that they love the game, but it's hard to think of a worse developer to consider making a sequel.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pbhawks45

Makes sense. They can make an original game themselves that's any good, so why start now?
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nasar7

Kindly stay the fuck away from my Chrono Trigger/Cross, Obsidian.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZmillA

obsidian doing an iteration of any existing JRPG franchinse LOL

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By C2C

Do I want a sequel? yes. From Obsidian? No. From Square-Enix? No. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Aw heeeeeeell naaaawwwww.

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RaceKickfist

I say they can have at it. I dont think theres anyway them making a sequel is going to make the original less awesome or something. If Square's not going to do it, why not let someone else roll the dice and see what happens?  

I loved cross by the way. In fact, re-making THAT one with more western rpg elements might work better. Plus for the fanboys it leaves the untouchable on its pedestal.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By UncleDisco

The first thing I though was "What?"
The next thing was "......What?"

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By apathylad

I liked Chrono Cross too, although I felt that it was only loosely tied with Chrono Trigger.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chris2KLee
@RaceKickfist said:
" I say they can have at it. I dont think theres anyway them making a sequel is going to make the original less awesome or something. If Square's not going to do it, why not let someone else roll the dice and see what happens?   I loved cross by the way. In fact, re-making THAT one with more western rpg elements might work better. Plus for the fanboys it leaves the untouchable on its pedestal. "
I doubt it would be a remake, Obsidian isn't lacking in ideas just technical know how (or something). Maybe a 3DS title? It would probably lower costs a bit, and minimize risks. I'm a pretty diehard Chrono fan and would love a new game. But if Obsidian is digging up the past, where's my Planescape sequel? They should be on the phone with Wizards of the Coast.
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Please god no

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Venatio

I do wonder how they would fuck that up sadly :/

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By LegalBagel

I'll be honest, an open-world RPG with different time periods that you traveled between where events affected could change the future sounds really cool.  Think Ocarina of Time meets Oblivion.

But get the fuck away from Chrono Trigger and just make that game on your own.  Call it Fallout 4D.  But don't call it Chrono _____.

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RaceKickfist
@Chris2KLee said:
" @RaceKickfist said:
" I say they can have at it. I dont think theres anyway them making a sequel is going to make the original less awesome or something. If Square's not going to do it, why not let someone else roll the dice and see what happens?   I loved cross by the way. In fact, re-making THAT one with more western rpg elements might work better. Plus for the fanboys it leaves the untouchable on its pedestal. "
I doubt it would be a remake, Obsidian isn't lacking in ideas just technical know how (or something). Maybe a 3DS title? It would probably lower costs a bit, and minimize risks. I'm a pretty diehard Chrono fan and would love a new game. But if Obsidian is digging up the past, where's my Planescape sequel? They should be on the phone with Wizards of the Coast. "
oh wow, no kidding! a return to planescape is far overdue. and way less controversial for them.  

also, didn't mean 're-make' in my original reply. i meant sequel. mah brain went *pfrt*
Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chris2KLee
@Venatio said:

" I do wonder how they would fuck that up sadly :/ "

Given their history? Unfinished story elements, characters and locations. Buggy gameplay would probably be on the list to I guess. I'm sure a certain Mr.Rorie would know a little better about where the breakdown happens at Obsidian, but I doubt he will be chiming in :)
Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

NEVER.

If there's going to be a new Chrono game, it's going be made by Square Soft.
Soft, not ENIX.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By General_D23

Can't we just leave some franchises in the past where they belong? No?

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
@Chris2KLee said:
" @RaceKickfist said:
I doubt it would be a remake, Obsidian isn't lacking in ideas just technical know how (or something). Maybe a 3DS title? It would probably lower costs a bit, and minimize risks. I'm a pretty diehard Chrono fan and would love a new game. But if Obsidian is digging up the past, where's my Planescape sequel? They should be on the phone with Wizards of the Coast. "
Obsidian is lacking in the ability to finish a game, unfortunately.
Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chris2KLee
@Xtrememuffinman said:
" NEVER.   If there's going to be a new Chrono game, it's going be made by Square Soft. Soft, not ENIX. "
The sad part is, it's been the Enix franchises that have been doing better in my opinion. The last few Dragon Quests on DS have been fun as hell, and done gangbusters (at least in Japan). From what I played of DQ9, that is gonna be a hell of a title.

I say just have Obsidian make Dungeon Siege more of a JRPG to see how that goes. I never got much personality out of the series, maybe some overly angsty and quaffed heroes will make it more interesting.
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hunter5024
@Xtrememuffinman:
Yes! We need to find a black hole to the past, and travel through time in order to convince them to make a sequel sometime before merging with Enix, so sometime in the ps1 era... wait a second...
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Why God Why?!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm not sure if I would be cool with Obsidian making a Chrono sequel, but I would love to see someone like Level 5 work on one.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, why does a WRPG company want to do a sequel to a JRPG already with a sequel? None of this makes sense!

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chris2KLee
@Chaser324 said:
" I'm not sure if I would be cool with Obsidian making a Chrono sequel, but I would love to see someone like Level 5 work on one. "
Now there's an idea. The two companies already have a good history.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pinworm45

Uh, I want this more than anything, but not by the makers of Alpha Protocol. No. NO.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Marz

I'd rather see a cartoon anime series of the game from Akira Toriyama that's not just an OVA.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Rockdalf

Where would they even begin?  Chrono Trigger isn't really set up well for a sequel imo, and anything loosely based on the franchise could be summed up by a unique ip.

So, I'd rather not.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By endaround

People need to calm down.  It was a joke question about which franchise they would like to do if they had complete choice over any SE property.  Its a spur of the moment answer.  Its not some company statement nor is it in the works.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chris2KLee
@endaround said:
" People need to calm down.  It was a joke question about which franchise they would like to do if they had complete choice.  Its a spur of the moment answer.  Its not some company statement nor is it in the works. "
Oh I doubt it's going to happen. It's just an interesting statement by company that has a rough history of making sequels for other companies. Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana are two of my favorite Square series that i doubt we'll ever see a proper follow up to, at least anytime soon.